Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP that allows equipment transfer from an old ship to a new

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Transferring kit from one ship to another would be useful

Yes that would save me from a world of hassle
41%
No, I'd rather boil my sack-argerie
59%

Total votes: 17

toconn
Above Average
Above Average

OXP that allows equipment transfer from an old ship to a new

Post by toconn »

As an OXP this would be really useful.

I'm thinking you select a ship to buy, a check is carried out on your current ship, and a dialogue is displayed that asks if you want to transfer all your equipment - along with a price for transferral.

Hope this makes sense !!
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Is all equipment compatible with every ship? Or, are there specific parts for equipment installation on given ship?
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
toconn
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toconn »

Good point CptnEcho,

Some craft cannot take any lasers (Transports), so there'd have to be a reasonable level of logic applied to the code
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

I'm not sure but isn't all the extra equipment added to the value of your current ship?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Greyman wrote:
I'm not sure but isn't all the extra equipment added to the value of your current ship?
Yes, it is, but i've got the impression that one can save money by selling the equipment before selling the ship...and that's strange!

However, I'm really not too sure how/if I would like to see a change further than that of OSE. There, not only the cloak, but also other "special" equipment is transferred, while the normal equipment has to be bought again.

Screet
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Adding a 0.2 cr worth.

Post by KZ9999 »

Putting my 'Manual Writer' hat on I would say this:
The equipment listed in the shipyards are GCW classification of systems, not specific models i.e. a Beam Laser is a class of weapon not the weapon itself. The beam laser on Adder is a Ingram 1928 AZ, while on a Sidewinder it is Dual 22-18's, to quote the original Elite Manual. This would imply that each ship, or at least manufacturer, has their own preferred version of the technology that they work with. This limits the resale value of the equipment as more advance items would sit in the warehouse for months/years for a particular model of ship to come along needing that model of equipment. No shipyard owner wants a station full of parts gathering dust, just on the off-chance that someone needs it.

Switching to my 'Game Play' hat I would add:
Not be able to transfer equipment forces the player to make a choice. Suffering a weaker ship for longer to be able to afford optional extras when upgrading or buying a better ship sooner but with more limited abilities making them having to face more critical decisions later on. To me this add a level to the game play that lot of other space-sims lack.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

I agree with KZ9999. When buying a new car you are also usually not able to take along the extras from your old car since the different manufacturers are usually not compatible.

On the other hand, you might be able to take along your navigation system or radio or whatever ... :D
toconn
Above Average
Above Average

Post by toconn »

Part of the rationale for this was that, you wouldn't need to buy your new ship then traipse to an appropriate tech levelled world (which could be multiple jumps away) to buy the stuff you already had
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

toconn wrote:
Part of the rationale for this was that, you wouldn't need to buy your new ship then traipse to an appropriate tech levelled world (which could be multiple jumps away) to buy the stuff you already had
I can understand that...but when I was in that situation, I sort of liked it: Almost like a fresh Jameson until I found a navy base which sold the eq I did need at prices I did like ;)

Screet
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

toconn wrote:
What about an upgrade that would let you control your ship from the comfort of a station, perhaps through some sort of virtual reality interface? That way, you’d never have to go anywhere at all. ;-)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Ahruman wrote:
What about an upgrade that would let you control your ship from the comfort of a station, perhaps through some sort of virtual reality interface? That way, you’d never have to go anywhere at all. ;-)
That game already exists and its name is X3.

Which still says nothing against a combination oxp of "transferable equipment" + "sell equipment".

And no, I'm not planning that for OSE :P
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: ..

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
I was thinking of another game, actually. It’s called Oolite. You may have heard of it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Lestradae »

Ahruman wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
I was thinking of another game, actually. It’s called Oolite. You may have heard of it.
:lol:

I am too embroiled in a game called "Real Life" atm so as to remember, but yes, there was something like that gamewise. Ended with "-lite" or somesuch.

The X3 game takes the whole thing a step further, there you are not your ship, but can buy as many ships as you like and direct them from anywhere over the whole universe simultanously, making this more an economy simulation than a first-person space sim. I really like the possibility to buy stations and become a magnate of something, though.

But I am derailing this thread (ancient Oolite Board tradition)

8)

L