Player turrent problems

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

I took out the GriffBoa for some little ride...it's not the ship to fly for me for a few reasons, but it's VERY nicely done and even has a scoop-cam! I was astonished at the details Griff built into that ship, which are not visible buy watching it...

- only front laser, which is a no-go for me...I even shoot frigates at 24km with side lasers ;) For close range combat I'd expect the turrets to outweigh this, though.
- the turrets do aim, but currently not fire in the player version (I did read that some ships do have working player turrets, but that it's in general a problem of the oolite version)
- the shield recharge rate is extremely low, is it depending upon the energy recharge rate? I guess everyone would prefer energy being drained instead of shields loading this slowly...I had the same problem with a "normal" oolite ship, IIRC the python.
- what looks to me like a big front laser isn't the source of the laser?!?

The cargo amount is perfect for me, especially with large cargo bay...if the above points would not come into consideration, I'd instantly switch...the ship is really very nicely worked. I guess every new commander with the first credits together would rather use this one instead of a python.

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Screet wrote:
I- the turrets do aim, but currently not fire in the player version (I did read that some ships do have working player turrets, but that it's in general a problem of the oolite version)
This is incorrect. In this screenshot, I am using the Griff Boa to terminate some cops who didn't like the fact that I was a fugitive. As you see (click image for larger res), the player turrets work just fine.
Did you select a target? Turrets will not fire unless an active hostile target is selected.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
This is incorrect. In this screenshot, I am using the Griff Boa to terminate some cops who didn't like the fact that I was a fugitive. As you see (click image for larger res), the player turrets work just fine.
Did you select a target? Turrets will not fire unless an active hostile target is selected.
Yes, I did, and even went close-up, switched to outside view and was rotating so that they could be targeted by turrets - when I had one targeted, the turrets did nicely follow the ship, but did not fire?!? Ideas, anyone?

I increased distance, switched to the front laser which easily did overheat, of course, but I got the attackers to use missiles...hit the ECM key, they went "Grrr." and used a q-bomb, killing the whole raiding party ;) Since you got the turrets to work, how do they do against capital vessels?

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The only idea that comes to my mind is if the ships you were trying to target were not exhibiting hostile behaviour. If they were switched to some non-aggressive AI state resulting in non-hostile behaviour, then probably the turrets would not fire. A bug in the ships' AI could explain this. What ships were they, by the way? If you notice this again, can you take a Shift+H of their state and post it? Can you also try without OXPs, exit station, fire a couple of shots at it so that the station turns hostile, then approach and let the turrets do their thing? You should see them firing at the station.

And I think that this belongs to Testing and Bug Reports, really. Can this be split?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
And I think that this belongs to Testing and Bug Reports, really. Can this be split?
Yes.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
The only idea that comes to my mind is if the ships you were trying to target were not exhibiting hostile behaviour. If they were switched to some non-aggressive AI state resulting in non-hostile behaviour, then probably the turrets would not fire. A bug in the ships' AI could explain this. What ships were they, by the way? If you notice this again, can you take a Shift+H of their state and post it? Can you also try without OXPs, exit station, fire a couple of shots at it so that the station turns hostile, then approach and let the turrets do their thing? You should see them firing at the station.

Nice with that splitting - is that moderator function or can anyone cause it if necessary?

I took the GB into an anarchy system and had pirates attack me...that's for sure. However, I cannot tell if they were red or yellow when I came close enough. Sometimes pirates which go red turn back to yellow when I fight the whole group of them, and I have not been able to find out why. It's something that usually happens with larger pirate groups, but sometimes also can be encountered with smaller ones. The GBs turrets DID rotate towards the pirate ship, though, that was very clearly visible.

I did reload that commander for a few minutes testing after your posting...and was unable to reproduce that behaviour. Thus it might very well be that they went back to yellow. I know that the cloak has such capability, even when it's turned off after use, however I didn't use it.

During that station-firing test, they launched a Liberator...I targeted it, turned around...and it was gone in roughly 2 seconds...maybe some friendly fire or are the turrets really THAT powerful? A Manta went down in a second and the time for a Mosquito was somewhere in between those two.

I noticed, though, that turrets do not cause visible energy drain like lasers do. Maybe the energy consumption of turrets should be increased to balance these toys? If they are stronger than a military laser, as it appears, then they probably should use much more energy than a military laser...

Guess I'll do some more testing with a GB soon and have a look if I can find out more. What's worrying me is the shield reload rate...as if shields are reloaded only by the amount of new energy created, not also with the amount of energy left in the banks, thus making ships with higher recharge rate much more powerful - is that intended?

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hey Screet,

The split function is administrator, so I think only Ahruman can do that ... if he pleases :wink:

Turrets are not stronger or weaker than lasers as such, but the game-standard ball turret has weapon strength 25 compared to military lasers with 23 ... but while the former has a range of about 5 kms, the latter has one of 25 kms, that should also be taken into account when comparing the two weapons.

Five times the distance is 125 times the volume reachable.

Cheers

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Also lasers are infinite speed (lets not get into the laws of physics again, just take it as true), so they are easy to aim, and much more efficient at converting their potential into damage. Many turret shots simply miss, and so with a combined low rate of fire, and low accuracy, the turrets tend to be relatively low in death dealing capacity, despite their high theoretical high damage. Might make them good for beating large, slow targets like stations and capitol ships...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Turrets are not stronger or weaker than lasers as such, but the game-standard ball turret has weapon strength 25 compared to military lasers with 23 ... but while the former has a range of about 5 kms, the latter has one of 25 kms, that should also be taken into account when comparing the two weapons.
OK, moving properly, I found THREE turrets at once fire at a ship...that would explain why I was able to shoot down stuff so easy during that short test. I guess those turrets really should drain a visible amount of energy in this case.

Seems I've got to test one in a fight with a Thargoid fleet or at least against their battleships in order to see what they can do. At least there's some balancing, as the multiple laser positions have been traded for turrets, thus forcing the player to move into the range of enemy turrets, too...I'm still a little bit worried about survivabilty due to the very slow shield recharge rate I observed.

Screet