Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

PC: FullScreen and Window enhancements...

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

PC: FullScreen and Window enhancements...

Post by Screet »

Hi again...

since a spaceship captain has the requirement for entertainment, especially when the flight takes a little bit longer due to missing injectable fuel, I am currently running the game most of the time in window mode with my second screen enabled to watch movies or browse the internet (especially hanging around here).

Two things would enhance this:
1) When running in window mode, it would be nice, if the app starts in maximized size. Currently the window is small, but located across both screens. There is a windows command to do this rescaling...if necessary I can launch my development machine and look in the code of my own (strategy) game ;)

2) When running full-screen, the second screen is unused, but blanked. Several games do this, but not all. I always consider this behaviour as a bug, as there's a reason when I have the second screen enabled while playing. However, I don't know how this could be fixed.

Screet
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Easiest solution: Get Linux-Ubuntu. It has dual desktop, you can easily switch between them. I haven't tried it on two monitors, but I imagine you will have separate desktop for each monitor.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

You can edit the bat file, remove the echo off in the first line...

now run the bat file...

in the bar of the bat file window, rightclick and pick properties...
set everything to as small as possible... you need to experiment a bit.. this way you can make the window really small and put it into a corner...

You can also modify the shortcut instead, however, do not pick run minimized as this will minimize Oolite too...

as for maximizing Oolite, just double click the bar on the Oolite window.. there is no default way of running it in maximized size
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Evenly easy solution: get a Mac. :wink:

On a Mac you can resize your game window (as any other window) to any size you like, just by clicking on and dragging its lower right corner.

Doesn't that work on a Windoze?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes it does. On Windoze you can resize by dragging anywhere on the border and also insta-maximize by doubleclicking the title bar. But this is not the point. The request is to have this happening by default.

To me, this is way down in the priority list. In fact, when I am working on the game, I need to have a bunch of windows open: The game window, the compiler window, the editor window, the debugger window and sometimes even Mr. Task Manager himself. So, maximizing the game window is unproductive for me, especially when it is so easy for one to set the game to full screen if so they require and go ahead.

Might consider something like this for the future, but definitely not right now.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

another_commander wrote:
To me, this is way down in the priority list. In fact, when I am working on the game, I need to have a bunch of windows open: The game window, the compiler window, the editor window, the debugger window and sometimes even Mr. Task Manager himself. So, maximizing the game window is unproductive for me, especially when it is so easy for one to set the game to full screen if so they require and go ahead.

Might consider something like this for the future, but definitely not right now.
Please, noooo. I have a lot of windows open too. If somebody needs something like this she/he can use

Code: Select all

window_height = <*I768>;
	window_width = <*I1024>;
in .GNUstepDefaults.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You can actually make your window maximized (not exactly, but close enough) by applying this hack:
1. Edit your RunOolite.bat file and add this line above the last one:

Code: Select all

set SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=0,0
2. Launch the game. The game window will be positioned at top left. Unfortunately the title bar will be hidden.

3. Drag the window border with the mouse until window covers the entire screen. This is as maximized as it will get.

4. Exit the game. Your new window height and width will be saved and next time Oolite is launched, it will start up in a window covering the entire screen.

5. Profit.