Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: What ship you fly now..

Post by CptnEcho »

Sarin wrote:
What ship you fly now....and what ship(s) you want?
I started with Cobra Mk-III (like everyone else). I flew cargo trading runs to build up my credit balance. Eventually the ship had all the equipment upgrades available in the non-OXP game except a Naval Energy Unit. Galaxy 1 got left behind and I ventured to Galaxy 2. (Somehow I hadn't attracted enough attention from either the Thargoids or the Navy.)

Eventually, I realized the limited cargo space of a Cobra Mk-III was holding back the amount of profit I could make on a trade route. Shortly thereafter I traded in a well equipped Cobra Mk-III for a Python. I added & upgraded equipment to enhance performance, profit and survival.

My Python can accommodate a passenger while hauling 110t of cargo and fights well enough to successfully hunt the Constrictor ship (or several average offenders/fugitives).
I've used it to hyperspace to each of the eight Galaxies twice over. The trade routes in Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 still seem most profitable, in my opinion. Though it seems that Galaxies 3 through 8 offer more opportunity for dicey situations.

Yet for all that, my Python is an interim ship towards earning a fully equipped Boa Class Cruiser with a Naval Energy Unit. It's the ship that has the right combination of features I'm looking for among the standard ship listings.

After I've 'played out' the standard Oolite game, I may install some OXP's for additional fun.

Cheers. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
chomann
Above Average
Above Average

true

Post by chomann »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@chomann - Serenity had no offensive weaponry that's why they needed to strap the Shepherd's gun turret to the top in the Film. In fact in the episode Shindig isn't the lack of weaponry mentioned specifically when Wash says the bar brawlers were too stupid to realise they there weren't any guns pointing at them?

So your Firefly will have to be a substantial upgrade...
while this is true...my firefly is a substantial upgrade... at roughly 80x40x140 its a large target.. and while she hasto be capable of finishig the fighting missions and defending herelf... i still am looking for an overall balance..so its more of an asthetic ship...the same things can be mounted on other ships this one will mainly focus on cargo, ....although the thought of a medium all allround ship does catch my eye....
"To boldly go where no man has gone before, and drop off my Trumbles." ~ Ashby
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: true

Post by Commander McLane »

chomann wrote:
while this is true...my firefly is a substantial upgrade... at roughly 80x40x140 its a large target..
Not sooo large. In fact it's roughly the same size as a Cobra III (65x130x30), slightly bigger, okay.

Come to think of it, it's astonishing again and again how big the Cobra III actually is... :shock:
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: true

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
Come to think of it, it's astonishing again and again how big the Cobra III actually is... :shock:
Not really, when you look here...

http://www.columbiassacrifice.com/&0_shttlovrvw.htm

Thats now, and it is very cramped, and the internal Cargo Area is not pressurized...

And if someone would calculate the actual volume of the Cobra Mk III, and compare it to the Shuttle, the difference would shrink even more i think, since the Cobra Mk III is a wedge shape...

But also, to expand on this... The present shuttle, can deliver (in 1984) 14 tons of cargo into a polar orbit..., today probably more...

The Oolite shuttle only 10 tons ^^...,

Inconstancies in relation present day capabilities vs the future.. Oolite has tons of it...

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

This one.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

One Q for you MAC People!!!

Are you able to play DIVx AVI files ?, cause i really do not have a avi to mov converter, and when i "record" what i want in MOV the file just gets to be way to large....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

Original Cobra MKIII
I`m not even close to affording anything else
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

oh well, it gets to be flash anyway :-)

a Quick(1 hour/editing/render/) Animated render i made of my current prototype ship i´m flying...

Btw there is sound, you might wanna put on your head phones, if you do not want to wake up the wife / girlfreind / boyfreind...

click the picture...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

Frame wrote:
One Q for you MAC People!!!

Are you able to play DIVx AVI files ?, cause i really do not have a avi to mov converter, and when i "record" what i want in MOV the file just gets to be way to large....
yes, use the divx player, or the vlc player.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Or the QuickTime player…
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i've found quicktime to be hit or miss with avi's. i hadn't thought to try divx avi's on it. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Most DivX content works with QuickTimes’s MPEG-4 codec. For those that don’t, the Perian or 3ivx codecs generally do the trick.
Super Jamie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Super Jamie »

I find it pretty hard to go past the Cobra Mk III.

It's fast, upgradeable, a good fighter, yet still has enough cargo space to make you decent cash from milkruns, or do a couple of good pirate trips to the Witchpoint and back. I also just scored one with Naval Energy Unit for an absolute bargain at a Tech 15 system in Galaxy 1 :D

It seems almost silly, to start the game with one of the best ships. I often think it would be more balanced to start in a Cobra Mk I, or even a Moray Star Boat. Or an Adder, for extra challenge (maybe i'm onto something here: normal/hard/harder starting difficulty options?) At least then I'd have something to look forward to instead of just building kills.

Maybe I should give a few OXP ships a go, but most are either unobtainable to my Commander at the moment due to price, or feel a bit unbalanced so it's almost like cheating.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

bit of a side note but has anyone done a comparison chart for all the ships?
Kind of like in the same vein as this?

http://www.merzo.net/

should be quite easy to do. :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ ClymAngus: Yes, a few people have. Problem is that none of the projects is complete, so we only have torsi, but a couple of them. :wink:

There's the Oolite Reference Sheet, and there are the ship tables on the wiki.

@ Super Jamie: The reason for the Cobra III being so good is a historic one. In Elite there was no feature to buy another ship. You were stuck with your Cobra III from beginning to end. Therefore it had to be a pretty good ship, if you should be able to survive harder opponents as well.