Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cover Page : Mutabilis : - New Entry 28/11/2008

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Images now on the Mutabilis Wiki Page

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow! :D
Count me out. Because I haven't even started but some great covers here!
Otherwise also usable as Your Ad Here versions!

BTW maybe another topic but I wish the suns of Oolite looked like on those covers.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

My personal favourite so far is that last one - the one with the Imperial Courier...

It's not just cos my design grases the front cover though, it's cos it's a fantastic action scene!

the fact that the IC looks COOL maybe has a little to do with it...!

My second favourite is the second last one - the transport landing from teh opening scene. Even though it's a minor part of the story it's a beautiful render.

Top work so far! I wish I could submit, but I just haven't the time at the moment. :-(
Jack_H
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Jack_H »

Those are some truly beautiful graphics. This group is lucky to have so much talent within.

The last one looks really cool, but I think is too much of a spoiler. The second to last one looks real nice, but there might be too much focus on an insignificant part of the story.

The second one is probably my favourite. I assume that is (SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER) that the courier is heading to. It makes sense after reading the book, but doesn't give anything away before you open the story.

Good work everyone!
Last edited by Jack_H on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I'd say number 5, with the Cobra and the Imperial Courier in the canyon. I wouldn't call it a spoiler – more of a teaser! OK, so you know there's going to be a shootout in the canyon but the showdown is set up in chapter one: you know it's coming anyway. Now you know it's (probably) going to happen in a canyon.

If I was marketing the book, I'd pick this one. It's also got the best typography (although part of me wonders what it might look like with no capital letters in it...). The others are good, but maybe a bit nondescript in the action they're showing. The Adder landing in the toxic smog is atmospheric (in more ways than one :)), but I'd say go for the gusto.

The old saying is "never judge a book by its cover". Unfortunately, everyone always does. Pick the one that's exciting and action-packed!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

The Imperial Courier was the only choice of ship I could see an assassin flying at the time... 8) though some of the newer OXPs provide ships that run it close!

...and yes, it was deliberately set up early on that there was going to be a show down between Rebecca and the assassin. All shall be revealed in good time!

Closing date for entries still the end of November, so if you fancy a go, please do. Plenty of time left!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

So far I like the first one best (call me boring!), with the new addition of the assassin being a close second. In fact, they may even tie.. love the simplicity of the assassin. Somehow it's quite menacing.

I like the idea of the fight-scene between the cobra and the ImpCourier, but the canyon really doesn't do it for me - would much prefer the scene to be set in an Asteroid Belt or something.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Fights in asteroid fields are a bit 'Attack of the clones' and 'Empire strikes back'...

...then again I guess Canyons are a bit 'A new hope' and 'Independence day' :wink:

The is a 'plot' reason for the canyon though, that wouldn't work in clear space or an asteroid field - all will become clear.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

I thought there was a super cobra in Status Quo, Why is there only a super cobra in one of the covers? Just asking.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

There was a prototype SuperCobra in SQ - but in M Rebecca is flying a Cobra Courier - one one book features this craft because Drew gave a selection of scenes and lots of the artists have played to their CG strengths and picked a different part of the book to adorn the cover.

I think they're all fab - including Drew's own entry - the latest one (added 11/10/08) is particularly atmospheric (and gives nothing away!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

FSOneblin wrote:
I thought there was a super cobra in Status Quo, Why is there only a super cobra in one of the covers? Just asking.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
The Super Cobra in SQ was destroyed (well ... wrecked). The one in the pic above is a mistake I've just noticed - it's supposed to be a Cobra Courier... :oops: !

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Re: Cover Page : Mutabilis : - updated 11/10 new entry.

Post by BobSongs »

drew wrote:
<snip>
2. Dimension W 1650, H 2550 Pixels.(suitable for use in Cafepress). Jpg, bmp or png is acceptable, 24 bit colour if possible.
</snip>
How much "bleed" area does Cafepress request? 1/4 inch? And would crop marks be beneficial?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Good question!

There is a template here

You can see the bleed area guidelines. Looks to be around 100 pixels each side. The image needs to use this space, but not put anything 'important' in it.

All entries ought to double check this - sorry!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

A standard bleed is usually about 5mm all round. Given that this is in inches I'm guessing about 1/5th of an inch would do the trick. 1/4 if you want to make sure.

EDIT: I just downloaded the template to check. It's 5.5 inches by 8.5 inches, so that's a quarter-inch bleed all round. The print area – i.e. the actual cover image itself – should be 5 inches by 8 inches, or 1500 x 2400 pixels (at 300dpi), or 127 x 203.2mm. I'd assume crop marks would not be required.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Well, for my entry the text is in the bleed area..
and it will be for alot of the other entries too, from what
i can see...

Re Arrenging text...
and
resending

hmm seems my layers have gotten locked for some reason...

cant rearrenge the text for now...

Edit: got it setup again...

resending my entry
Bounty Scanner
Number 935