Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cover Page : Mutabilis : - New Entry 28/11/2008

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Cover Page : Mutabilis : - New Entry 28/11/2008

Post by drew »

Could one of the mods make this a sticky until the closing date?

Current entries can be seen on page 3 of this thread....

As suggested by Captain Hesperus... the Mutabilis Cover page competition!! Ta da!!!!

Mutabilis is the upcoming sequel to Status Quo, and as such needs some awesomeness in the graphics department. This is not my skill set, so as suggested, lets have a competition to select the best out there! I've seen enough evidence to know there is serious talent out there....

The winner will get to have their artwork as the official cover of the book, and as with Status Quo, this will be available as a hardcopy edition and credit will be given to the winning design in the book. You may include a small 'Designed by ....' or similar if you wish on the image. The winner will also have the option to redesign the Status Quo cover, for a second edition if they so desire, for consistancy. There are no style limitations! You may base on ship conflict, characters, situations, planets, etc!!

For reference, all the characters, ships and locations used in Mutabilis are largely the same as Status Quo, so please re-read for inspiration/reference. Mutabilis features an Imperial Courier, Cobra Courier, Behemoth, the planets, Larais, Lave, Onrira, Oresrati. Here are some set pieces (minor spoiler alert), no particular order.

1. Cobra Courier fleeing down a rocky canyon on Oresrati, hotly pursued by an Imperial Courier. (Oresrati is described as having a very thin atmosphere, stars visible, and lit by a red dwarf)

2. Rebecca holding Jim and the Assassin at gunpoint in a cavern, with the Imperial Courier as a backdrop. All dressed in flight gear.

3. A Squadron of Vipers and Asps approaching a Behemoth in close formation.

4. Rebecca confronting an old man in bar on a Coriolis station, over a table and a couple of gins. (Think Alec Guinness from the first starwars film)

5. A Cobra Courier coming to the rescue of a Python being attacked by three Asps. Python is damaged. (The erstwhile 'Dubious Profit' ;-)

6. An Adder landing on a platform on Larais. (Larais is described as smog bound orange/brown atmosphere. The Adder has four landing lights, aiming for the platform)

7. In the cavern, the assasin standing in the lowered docking ramp of the Imperial Courier pointing a gun at Jim with an unconscious Rebecca at Jim's feet. Rebecca would need to be in a green dress and injured.

8. The imperial Courier fleeing a twin missile attack by a Cobra Courier. The Courier would need damage to its fore hull section. The Cobra would be trailing plasma from previous damage.

9. A Cobra Courier approaching the moon of Lave (as in my pic)

10. A Cobra Courier, damaged, fleeing what appears to be a Q-Bomb explosion.

Whilst chapters of the book will start coming out online from September 15th, the competition will close at the end of November, with a view to the finished book being available on cafepress before Christmas Just in time for Santa and his Asps.

Here's my 'effort' (low-res)

Rules :

1. The following text is required somewhere in the design

Mutabilis
"A Novella based on the space trading game Oolite, and sequel to Status Quo"
Drew Wagar

2. Dimension W 1650, H 2550 Pixels.(suitable for use in Cafepress). Jpg, bmp or png is acceptable, 24 bit colour if possible.

3. You must allow usage according to under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license and the GNU General Public License version 2 as per Oolite itself and Status Quo.

4. Submit all entries to [email protected], I'll post them all up after the closing date and a vote will be held online on this forum to select the winner.

5. All entries should provide contact details and a name!

6. Closing date for entries is 30th of November.

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Seems like a nice challenge :D I'il look if I will take it
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with! 8)

The first entries are coming in, so get those paintbrushes busy!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Drew,

Sadly I have not enough free time a.t.m. So I don't think Iil send in a cover. Maybe later separate cover's could be offered (like an OXP for a book).

I plan to include the planets of Larais and Zadies in future expansions of the famous planets pack though. 8)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Only received one entry so far - please consider if you have time. Would be great to see some of the great talent represented in 'Your Ad', the textures and the planet OXPs represented on the front cover!

Can extend the deadline if necessary - would be nice to get the hardcopy out in time for Christmas. Let me know.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

drew wrote:
Only received one entry so far - please consider if you have time. Would be great to see some of the great talent represented in 'Your Ad', the textures and the planet OXPs represented on the front cover!

Can extend the deadline if necessary - would be nice to get the hardcopy out in time for Christmas. Let me know.

Cheers,

Drew.
I'll try and get something in, My coding still isn't really up to setting up pictures in oolite yet, Any good places to get pointers on doing something that Pagroove? Hack an oxp?

I do have some small experience with space images. Nothing hard core though.

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

drew wrote:

Cheers,

Drew.
hmm i´m a bit worried... since you wrote that the first entries are coming in.. and I submitted mine some time after that,,,

You did recieve my entry ? right

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i was gonna enter but i've not got pics of the CObra/Imp couriers etc, hence me asking for a viewer :-/
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i was gonna enter but i've not got pics of the CObra/Imp couriers etc, hence me asking for a viewer :-/
If you are on PC i can help you with a custom viewer i made some time ago...

it is far from finished... and there is no help, and pressing cancel will crash it... while it will not crash your PC.. just the program...

it is pretty basic, and you have to select the model file, and texture that goes along with it... and it does not show stations with tiled textures and or more than 1 model at a time.. so models with ship sub entities,, will only show the model you selected.. fo example if you pick the fuel scoop from griffs krait, only that model will be shown...

I was working on it, when my wedding came in between, and never picked up the pace again...

you use it by using the arrow keys to rotate it
page up and down to zoom...
r to reset the view...

and it has no mouse controle...

download link http://www.box.net/shared/3x3jnd26en
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I would enter but haven't had the time. So if you can extend the deadline it would be nice
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Thanks Frame - seemed to get some graphical glitches on my puter so i resorted to the agee-old method of trying to hit the screent-print key at the right moment on the parade screen :-/

that util looks like it'll be a cracker if you get it finished though, i think a few people on here will want it just to check out new ship releases etc.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

@Frame - Sorry - away from home pc... Was yours similar to mine but with a textured planet and the cobra courier SE? If so - yes got it - if not I haven't seen it!

@PaGroove. Happy to extend deadline until the last chapter of Mutabilis is up - lets say the end of November - how is that? I'll update the top of this thread.
I plan to include the planets of Larais and Zadies in future expansions of the famous planets pack though.
Great news!

@Killer Wolf - Would love to see an entry!

@ClymAngus - Ditto!

Original post updated with closing date for end of November

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Nope, not similar at all, sounds like you did´nt get it...

Resending

Edit, could you confirm, you received it ?
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yes, got it frame! Very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

working on it. anyone tell me where the guns are situated on an Imp Courier please?
tia