Scanner problems

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

I rechecked it. When I put them in, I get those warnings, when I remove them, the warnings are gone. I just don't understand how those warnings are generated. It is a test for a incompatible oolite version.
I don't pretend to know enough about coding to be able to suggest why the error shows up. I have rem'ed the lines out in my copy as I know I have a good version.

Back to the scanner problem - I have added several more oxp's back in and the scanner works as excpected so far. I still get this

Code: Select all

.:85: element array: validity error : Element array content does not follow the DTD, expecting (array | data | date | dict | false | integer | real | string | true)*, got (key integer key integer key string string string )
				</array>
As I am still checking files for case problems I found this in RandomHits.oxp
asp2.dat textures used: asptesa.png file missing
mine_satellite.dat calls beatletex.PNG file is beatletex.png
navicengine.dat and navicengine2.dat textures used: icour_engine_nav_tex.png file missing
navicourier.dat textures used: imp_cour_nav_tex.png file missing
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hello tinker,

sorry for late answering - I was on Festival, so no time for anything else.
LittleBear wrote:
The only errors that are been reported in the stddrr is some command name problems in Local Hero.oxp.
I don't think that the messages come from Localhero, because v1.05 simply doesn't use the deprecated methods. It only says that the oxp internal Logging is switched off. I've implemented a switch for it, so if a user has some problems he can switch it on and we can analyze the problem better. The next version can be controlled by the OXPConfig.oxp so you can switch it on InGame.

I know of two big problems in the current version, but nobody has reported them till now.

But a quick question.

Found mode {Height = 1024; RefreshRate = 0; Width = 2560; }
Is this you 'normal' resolution?
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

The errors were found to be caused by version checking in Asteroid Storm, I have disabled the version check and do not get any errors now except the element array: validity error and the known problem about the policecondorAI.plist. I have corrected all the case bugs in texture files and see lots more ships now.

Strangely enough I have added all the oxp's back in and do not get the scanner problems or the misslabled ships. Well I did once see a cargo sled that was tagged as a police ship but nothing like the things I had at the beginning of this thread.

I can only assume that the bug might appear when some random script does some random event at some random time in the future, guess I will have to play more, err test more.
But a quick question.

Found mode {Height = 1024; RefreshRate = 0; Width = 2560; }
Is this you 'normal' resolution?
Yes it is. 2 19 inch monitors 1024 X 1280 set up as one screen
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

Spoke to soon, I still have the occasional scanner error, Had a bunch of unpowered objects that attacked me, they were all five something ships this time. Forgot to screen save before I died a horrible death, nothing untoward in the stderr after that session but next restart got this

2008-08-22 12:19:21.537 oolite[6603] [script.TigersTurf]:  Tigers encounter roll: 21
2008-08-22 12:19:21.744 oolite[6603] [script.TigersTurf]: Met 3 members of the Tiger Gang in Leesti
2008-08-22 12:19:44.714 oolite[6603] [mesh.load.failed.fileNotFound]: ERROR - could not find oresrian_trader.dat
2008-08-22 12:29:58.330 oolite[6603] [dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
2008-08-22 12:29:58.487 oolite[6603] [dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
2008-08-22 12:31:17.447 oolite[6603] [script.TigersTurf]: 5 more members of the Tiger Gang in Leesti spotted loitering with intent by one of the stations.
Also had another problem with space bars, there were two object called SpaceBar they showed a yellow on the scanner but there was no object to see and no error reported in stderr. Got a screen shot this time.Image
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

tinker wrote:
Yes it is. 2 19 inch monitors 1024 X 1280 set up as one screen
Very nice resolution, :-) But maybe part of the problem???
tinker wrote:
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x3400007
That looks a little bit strange. What does it mean? Does it mix up Oolite?
tinker wrote:
2008-08-22 12:19:44.714 oolite[6603] [mesh.load.failed.fileNotFound]: ERROR - could not find oresrian_trader.dat
I think this is part of RS. The other entries are just notifications, some kind of debug messages, implemented to see if the oxp does it's job.

And to the picture: If I remember right Ahruman has implemented a shipdata template-key for the next release. So this won't happen then again.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I think this is part of RS.
Yes it is - you found another case sensitivity bug :(

Changing this to Oresrian_Trader.dat should do the trick ...
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

Mmm This is going to make me look stupid but chaging what to Oresrian_Trader.dat? The dat file in Models is Oresrian_Trader.dat it is listed in config/demoships.plist in lower case, is there the line I must change?

@svengali
the X Error is I think connected with apps running in the background, it has no visible effect on OOlite. I usually run Oolite in a window as having the aim sight set between 2 monitors drives me nuts at times, well more nuts than usual that is.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

tinker wrote:
Mmm This is going to make me look stupid but chaging what to Oresrian_Trader.dat? The dat file in Models is Oresrian_Trader.dat it is listed in config/demoships.plist in lower case, is there the line I must change?
It's not stupid to ask. All plists have to be checked (demoships.plist, shipdata.plist, shipyard.plist, Models folder, Texture folder, equipment.plist). The current RS version is full of those small mistakes and Lestradae has a lot of changes on his todo-list. But here it is the shipdata.plist. There are two entries (oresrian_trader and oresrian_trader-player).
tinker wrote:
@svengali
the X Error is I think connected with apps running in the background, it has no visible effect on OOlite. I usually run Oolite in a window as having the aim sight set between 2 monitors drives me nuts at times, well more nuts than usual that is.
:-) :-) But why should another application cause a BAD WINDOW ERROR? It looks like a OpenGL thing (wildly speculating). And the other strange thing is:

2008-08-16 15:42:49.138 oolite[9999] Failed to recurse into directory 'AddOns' - No such file or directory
I'm not on Linux and I don't know much about it, so I can't help you here, but it looks like Oolite can't find the oxps easily. Is it everytime in your logfile or was it just the first time?

EDIT: Before somebody gets this wrong (not Lestradae, we have had contact and I've sent him an overhauled shipdata.plist and shipyard.plist - not error free, but a lot less buggy). I really like his idea of changing the ship-pricings. But he has just copied most entries from the original oxps without testing it properly - so he has copied the errors too. A lot of things have changed in the meantime (think about the differences between Oolite v1.65 and v1.71.2) and a lot of oxps are still using the 'old' form or syntax. Even in such a small oxp like the Vector - it's mine so I can say it :-) - there are errors. So if anybody copies it he will get the same error.

Most of us are no scripting-progging-debugging-professionals so we'll make a lot mistakes. But I think that scripters have to learn to test their own creations to avoid most troublemakers. The console (by Ahruman and ported to Win by Kaks) and the verifier that comes with Oolite is a 'must have' and a 'must have used' - at least for scripters. The verifier will name a lot of problems, it's a good start to test oxps.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Verifier...

you gotta remember that(i´m guilty too),

The debug console does not allways catch every little error there might be... nore does the stderr.txt file allways tell you of a missing file, one late example of mine was i had made a breif test with another AI, named "FC2selfdestructAI.plist", while the shipdata.plist refered to "FCselfdestructAI.plist", i meant to change it back, but got interupted by RL events, when i came back, i deleted the FC2selfdestructAI.plist, forgetting to make the change in the shipdata.plist file..

gave it a couple of runs in oolite, didnt notice the wreck that didnt explode as it was supposed to, cause it was so dark that i couldnt see it...

And made a release, where nobody detected the bug for a long time, until Commander McLane asked me about a mystirious wreck left over by derelict ships that the player had used the Fuel Collector to leech its fuel on...

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Svengali wrote:

2008-08-16 15:42:49.138 oolite[9999] Failed to recurse into directory 'AddOns' - No such file or directory
I'm not on Linux and I don't know much about it, so I can't help you here, but it looks like Oolite can't find the oxps easily. Is it everytime in your logfile or was it just the first time?
This message occurs if any of the various AddOns directories don’t exist (except under OS X). It isn’t necessarily a problem. It should be fixed for 1.72.

As for the verifier, it’s important to note that it doesn’t (yet) read DAT files and therefore can’t tell you about case issues for textures.
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

After extensive testing, including correcting several case error problems and occasional editing of scripts to correct typos I am now running a reasonably clean game and oxps.

I have informed all oxp writers of any errors I found either by forum posts or PM's so they should all get fixed in the next releases.

I am however left with 2 problem ships. The Hatchling BoyRacer1 usually. if not always, appears as an unpowered object on the scanner, despite the fact they fly about.

The other problem is with the Famous Number Five, this ship, or sometimes several of them appear regularly when shooting asteroids, often instead of getting boulders or shards from an exploding asteroid the ships appear. They are white on the scanner, i.e. unpowered, though of course they are powered.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ahruman wrote:
As for the verifier, it’s important to note that it doesn’t (yet) read DAT files and therefore can’t tell you about case issues for textures.
It also doesn't seem to confirm equipment entries for HUD icons in descriptions.plist. I was playing about with a new bit of kit yesterday and typo'd the entry and it didn't spot it (or more accurately that the bit of kit I was making was a _MINE and didn't have a valid HUD icon entry).

Might such a check be possible for equipment with _MISSILE and _MINE?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Those are ships from RS 3.02, but I am at a loss to understand how they can have this kind of behaviour.

Wait. Do you have Dredgers 2.0 installed? That creates wrecks that can be salvaged ... or are there other oxps that do that?

Because wrecks would appear as ships that are not powered and white on the scanner ... sitting there, doing nothing.

Just speculation :?
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

Well I do have Dredgers installed as well, but the two problem ships that I left only appear on the scanner as unpowered, in every other respect they are normal.

I have lost count of the number of end games I have had from blowing up asteroids only to find 3 or 4 Famous Fives appearing 2 or 3 km away, who then promptly blast me out of the sky.

The boyRacer1 appears to be added to systems when exiting witchspace, so that is probably nothing to do with Dredgers.

I had a look in RS for these and did not see them mentioned anywhere, must of had something set wrong in my text search. I just researched and found

<key>name</key>
                <string>Hatchling BoyRacer1</string>
in shipdata.plist under hbr1 so I will have a look into anything obvious that I can spot.

The only reference I can find to Famous Number Five is in Hotrods.oxp shipdata.plist, nothing in RS.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

tinker wrote:
The other problem is with the Famous Number Five, this ship, or sometimes several of them appear regularly when shooting asteroids, often instead of getting boulders or shards from an exploding asteroid the ships appear. They are white on the scanner, i.e. unpowered, though of course they are powered.
That is an oolite bug. Sometimes the system adds the requested role to an other object and puts that one in space instead. Annoying sometimes. It are always similar mix ups. But when you add or remove oxp's (number of installed ships changes.) the bug shifts to an other mixed up object. Yesterday I was really frustrated that the GRS station I was working on often didn't appear while it should be added according the code. When I did a scan for a object with the role of the station, I came up with a barrel that took it's role!!
Your bug i also have seen several times: instead of splinters, I got mambas or other ships with a scanclass and role of a splinter. I have also been chased by cargo pods!