Amen Brick's Shipyard Dev Thread.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Amen Brick's Shipyard Dev Thread.

Post by Amen Brick »

Lol, I call it a dev thread because at some point in the next few days I'm probably (definitely) be going to be shouting "Y...elp!" at you. :lol:

Now that I am temporarily free of the Megaship shackles I can concentrate on the Shipyard, my first station.

I've also done a drone, but I'll show that when I'm happy with it. I Will also be modelling some ships in various stages of completion.

I had to simplify the model because it had too many vertices, so I made all the faces for the docks disappear, allowing me to create docking spaces of different sizes, which was handy.

What I need to do:

Finish models
add a dock
learn how to position a station in the system without clashing or replacing existing station and about the coordinates.

I need to learn how to make unfinished models not move near it. (though simply renaming it and making it scanclass boulder, might do? Or make them random frangibles?)
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

I just had a thought. Anyone want to send me the wings model of their original meshes so I can 'dismantle them' or do the dismantling yourself and send me the results?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:D :D :D

Right on Commander!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Is that the docking bay down south?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

The docking bay is to the left of the letter "C" its the only square point on t he figure that's feasible. Maybe if I go madly ambitious I'll try to model a non square dock for the south bit.

Edit: I think I understand. That south effect is a texture, there is no dock on it at the moment.
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Where did i see some instructions on how to put a dock on a station? Cant find it.

I think I remember you had to center your dockmodel onto your suitable hole in stationmodel and put the dockai on it?

Is that it, or do I need more?
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Couple of work drones that will hover about the station occasionally (scavengerAI).

Servitor

Drone

I'll probably do one more with different 'tools'.

Jetcycle Courier (shuttleAI)

Not quite ready. This is a very small model 2.5m high or so and was a sort of pet project to see if I could model a rider model at such low poly numbers.

I've also done the dock box but need to now the dimensions of the Dock model before I can finish up. Any one know?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I adore the Jet cycle courier - and good for you for generating a human recognisable form with so few polys!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

You are a vary good oxper, Brick. I just downloaded the 2 oxps, and can't wait for pirate clan 2.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I think that's the first actual person to be seen in Oolite!

Well done, AB!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Does Griff's Santa count?
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Or the pilot in the DW-Cobra after you've shot out the window?

On a different note: I don't want to accuse anybody of speciesism :shock: , but what about the first actual lobstoid to be seen in Oolite? :wink:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Your Ad here for non humanoids.
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Ok, got all my models finished and textured. Just a small problem with the dock location to fix. I think its just a negative cordinate in the wrong place, but we'll see.

Going to aim for one per galaxy.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Regarding the "jet-cycle", while i love the model... i´m amazed you would be able to fit some sort of sheild device to protect him from the hazards of re-entering the athmosphere.

Also that the Cycle would have enough power to overcome the gravitational pull of a planet.

while for doing EVAs or shuttle Documents or trumbles.. in space it would make sense...

But not as a shuttle that is starting of on a planet. and landing on a planet...

It would imo require a new AI... that make it go back and forth between ships and stations and should only be found in the vicinity of stations...

possibly it should have a script
Bounty Scanner
Number 935