adding planets in interstellar space broken in 1.71.2

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

adding planets in interstellar space broken in 1.71.2

Post by Commander McLane »

Adding planets or moons by addPlanet: or addMoon: in interstellar space (like interstellar: 2 12 84 or interstellar space) results in a freeze in Oolite 1.71.2 at the end of the witchspace countdown, before the rings are shown (of course only if you actually do a misjump between the systems in question).

To be precise the log shows one of these:

Code: Select all

[exception]: ***** Exception during [update:entity[<ShipEntity 0x1a00a000>{"Navigation Buoy"}]] in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil *****
[system]: *** NSTimer discarding exception '*** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil' that raised during firing of timer with target 6568d0 and selector 'performGameTick:'
Then lots of these:

[exception]: ***** Exception during [update:entity[<ShipEntity 0x1bc4800>{"Thargoid Warship"}]] in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil *****
[system]: *** NSTimer discarding exception '*** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil' that raised during firing of timer with target 6568d0 and selector 'performGameTick:'
And then zillions of these:

[exception]: ***** Exception during [update:entity[<PlayerEntity 0x1a9e800>{"Imperial Courier"}]] in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil *****
If the addMoon: can't be executed, because the moon-name isn't defined, everything works fine. Also if only other properties, like number and size of nebulas, are changed in interstellar space, without adding a planet, there is no problem.

I don't know since when the bug was introduced. I can confirm, however, that in 1.69.1.2 it used to work. I can't positively say whether it was broken in 1.70 or one of the 1.71s.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This looks like a known, fixed bug. I’d like a test case to confirm it, though. Remember: I’m no good at that scripting stuff, I leave it to you lot. ;-)