Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"You have scooped a Navy Officer!"

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

"You have scooped a Navy Officer!"

Post by Ace Garp »

I keep getting the message "You have scooped a Navy Officer!" appearing randomly.

The last time I got it (and screen grabbed it), I was docked at Lave as a Jameson, and so did not even have a scoop!

I've done a search, but cannot find anything about it on the forum.

Running Oolite 1.70 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

This happens on both my desktop computer (PowerMac 2x500MHz G4s, 960 MB RAM),
and my laptop (PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM).

Anybody want any further info, or list of OXPs I had running, then just ask :-)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I have never seen that message but it seems to me that galactic navy oxp is responsible for this
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

A reasonable assumption as galactic navy does give payouts for rescued/captured officers. I, however, specify the rank of the officer in my oxp (captain, admiral, etc...) so the culprit must be found else where :)
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Well I do have Galactic Navy version 4 running, so it's possible.

When the message appears, I do sometimes also get a message telling me of a cash reward for the scoop, but it doesn't actually give me the money!
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Ace - I was finally able to track down the message you've been receiving. It took me so long because I was assuming that since you saw it while docked it was part of a mission-text. Actually, it's a console message that is sent when ever you scoop a navy officer escape pod. I'm not sure what's causing the bug. It might be that you get the message even when an NPC scoops an officer escape pod. Anyways, I'm on the trail.
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Cheers for the heads.
I'm really glad that someone is investigating this bug to further improve Oolite :-)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

matt634 wrote:
... Actually, it's a console message that is sent when ever you scoop a navy officer escape pod. I'm not sure what's causing the bug. It might be that you get the message even when an NPC scoops an officer escape pod. Anyways, I'm on the trail.
Console messages are also send when an NPC ship scoops a container. You even receive the messages when docked.

In plist scripting there is no official way to detect who scooped the thing, but in cargo_wreck_teaser there is code that does the check. I also explained the code on the WIKI.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Thanks Eric, I'll read up and see what can be done!
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

... after checking the cargo wrecks oxp

Wow, a very ingenious fix for a problem I didn't even know existed. I'll be sure to incorporate it into the next update. [BUG SQUASHED]
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I have to point out that I am running 1.71, Calactic Navy and Cargo Wrecks teaser and I do not have these symptoms!
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Good to know its not common. It should be a very rare occurrence that a NPC would ever scoop a Navy Officer escape pod. I'm actually amazed that Ace saw it more than once (especially at Lave where there isn't really any Navy activity). Regardless of frequency, I'll fix it up for the next release.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

This happens a lot for me (say five times a session). I have to manually go into my saved game and remove the credits!
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

That frequency leads me to believe there's more going on here. There's only 3 ships that should spawn an officer escape pod when destroyed, and I thought I set it up that these ships only launch from SecComs when the player is in there area. For you to see it 5 times a session means these ships (or escape pods) are being spawned unintentionally and scooped by NPC's. I'll have a closer look.

What system(s) are you in when you get the message? Do you see Navy ships in the system?
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

matt634 wrote:
That frequency leads me to believe there's more going on here. There's only 3 ships that should spawn an officer escape pod when destroyed, and I thought I set it up that these ships only launch from SecComs when the player is in there area. For you to see it 5 times a session means these ships (or escape pods) are being spawned unintentionally and scooped by NPC's. I'll have a closer look.

What system(s) are you in when you get the message? Do you see Navy ships in the system?
I'll keep a log of when it happens and report back.
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Just want to say that I've not actually noticed this again for some time now, although don't really get to play as much as I'd like :-(

Now running Oolite 1.71.2 on Mac OS 10.4.11.

If I do see it again, I'll post it, and have a good look around the system.

Edit - when I did see it a lot, it seemed to mostly happen at the start of a game, whilst still docked.