Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Textured planets experiment - discussion here

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Leroy Boyce
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Leroy Boyce »

Sung wrote:
I'm often rendered in C4D some Planets for other projects. I have made some planet tiles like this:

after rendering it looks like this

is it planned to get some detailed planets with a small texture map?
Elite 4 become true? :D
These are magnificient.

Now, if there were a gas-giant with rings, I'll think I'm in heaven...!
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

If only we could persuade Ahruman and another_commander to enable the textured planets *sigh*
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think they are comming back for 1.71, but in the meantime you can use the 1.65 alternate build by D.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I thinbk we can

Post by Lestradae »

If only we could persuade Ahruman and another_commander to enable the textured planets
I would assume that in 1.71 the function will be possible to enable again. But perhaps we should start a planetary textures appreciation thread in the Suggestions Forum, with the petition to enable it again. I would second this ...

8)

L

P.S.: @Little Bear - we posted at the same instant, obviously :idea:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Lobbying isn’t likely to have much effect, but you can always start a poll on whether people would prefer 1.71 to be delayed just to implement your pet feature. ;-)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Ahruman

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Ahruman,

OK, jokes aside.

I think the planetary texture feature is one many people would love to have back on.

I also think that you are doing a great job for the heck of it (can`t be mentioned enough imo) and so I would not in earnest attempt to pressure you to do this or that. Probably couldn`t if I tried, but don`t want to anyways :)

And I do understand that the textures seem to be a buggy feature and to find it`s causes is not up there on your to-do list.

But. I think nothing speaks against implementing the feature as an alternate option to switch the planetary textures back on, am I right or not?

If there´s something I don`t get here please tell me and I promise I`ll stop mentioning it. I just don`t understand why it can`t be inserted back in as OPTIONAL. :?:

All clear?

Greetings,

L
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

How about the facility to add a planet with a particular radius?

Code: Select all

radius = system.mainPlanet.radius + 1;
system.addPlanet("my_shiny_new_planet", radius);
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Planet radii can be specified in planetinfo.plist. I don’t intend to add more dynamic ways before the MNSR for reasons of wanting to get a release out some time this century.
Catsy
Poor
Poor

Post by Catsy »

I am wholly sympathetic to those with low-end systems, or who have decent systems but want to keep things lean and smooth, or don't have a lot of hard drive space to throw around.

By the same token, surely those with high-end systems could be allowed to make the choice of whether or not they want to take the hit in overhead? I have two terabytes of hard drive space between my computers, and I'm perfectly willing to give up a couple gigs of HD space to have Oolite dump procedurally-generated planet textures out to a file, so that they can be read with less overhead. And I've got a fast CPU and video card, and am not especially concerned about computationally expensive operations. :)

Like I said, I completely understand the need to design so that Oolite is accessible to low-end systems. But I'm all in favor of allowing folks the option to take the hit and turn on the pretty.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Yup, if a poll is taken, my vote goes to textured planets! :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Catsy wrote:
I am wholly sympathetic to those with low-end systems, or who have decent systems but want to keep things lean and smooth, or don't have a lot of hard drive space to throw around.
It's probably a subconsience inheritance of the original restrictions, the way technology is racing ahead with speed and memory, size should not be a constraint.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"