1.69b and asteriod OXP

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

First it should wind over in the Suggestion-board.

Second it's a great idea. I love everything that enhances ship-to-ship interaction, from improved communication possibilities to exchanging cargo, fuel, spare parts, trumbles, whatever. :lol:

I'm a little bit afraid, though, that it's not very likely to happen. :cry:
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Commander McLane wrote:
Second it's a great idea. I love everything that enhances ship-to-ship interaction, from improved communication possibilities to exchanging cargo, fuel, spare parts, trumbles, whatever. :lol:
Perhaps it is possible to make a script that replaces the standard docking sequence animation with a scripted movement close to a ship, asteroid or derelict. This is watched though an externally positioned camera. Have it trigger when you enter a narrow corridor of space next to that ship, asteroid or derelict. Sort of like defining a docking bay area, without giving it any walls. Then move from the new animation directly into the station screen.

If that isn't possible, perhaps one can at least precede the docking animation with a scripted docking maneuver.

-Oz
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Hmm, how accurately can you move and position ships with scripts? Those who remember TIE Fighter might recall that it handily stated what each ship was doing, if you looked, and I presume what it was really showing was the game's internal AI state. Wonder just how many of those states could be implemented in Oolite with just scripts. Unfortunately the ones where something could come along and pick up a disabled craft or container are probably out, but at a crude and ignorant guess most of the others might well be doable.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Helvellyn wrote:
Hmm, how accurately can you move and position ships with scripts?
Not especially. In 1.70 it will be possible to position and orient entities precisely using JavaScript, but script timers are limited to running at no more than 4 times per second for performance and consistency reasons.