Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I return. Was I missed?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

I return. Was I missed?

Post by JensAyton »

Due to being distracted by a spotty cat, and then having my hard disk fall foul to said cat’s claws, and updating another project to look sleeker when juxtaposed with said cat, I haven’t been working on Oolite for the past ten days or so. I also haven’t been reading the forum.

As a result, I haven’t seen any bugs that have been mentioned in passing. As a general thing, bugs mentioned on the forum (except in the threads announcing new releases) are not considered to have been reported, although I generally notice them anyway. But not always.

So if you’ve mentioned a bug recently, in the vague hope that it will be fixed, go back and do it properly. This is the only way to be sure that I’m aware of any given bug. If I’m not aware of a bug, it’s highly unlikely to be fixed.

(Incidentally, I have got Commander McLane’s e-mailed bug report about player ships with subentities.)
Last edited by JensAyton on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

It's more of a suggestion but I think it would be better if the cloaking device worked in a fairer way.

Basically a user can make out where a cloaked NPC is but it's a bit tricky so they're harder to hit.

So an NPC should be able to 'see' a cloaked user ship but with some sort of penalty. Perhaps their shots should be subject some random offset or something.

I believe that at present NPCs simply can't see a cloaked user - this makes it a bit of an uber piece of equipment and makes it hard to write their AI as the user sometimes just disappears so they don't know what to do.

See the assassins thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4011 for the discussion
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I return. Was I missed?

Post by TGHC »

Ahruman wrote:
I haven’t been working on Oolite for the past ten days or so. I also haven’t been reading the forum.
Of course you were missed, and now Cap'n H is going to see your attention has been diverted by another feline, I sense claws being extended and lumps of fur to be to be cleared up!

Anyway a hearty welcome back. :D
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Sorry... I hadn't really noticed as in this same interval my system crashed again.
I did notice a drop in post frequency with both of us gone L_B and TGHC had to pick up the slack ;)

I recently deposited a bugreport at the OolitePC Berlios thingy,
dunno whether you rather had it reported to the linux or mac repositories... PC seemed most applicable as I was using that.

Welcome back in any case. Did the other project pan out? (even if it did contain cat hairs)
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, of course you were missed! (Especially by me, who was waiting for a reply to that player subentity-thingy.) And already welcomed back! :D

Glad that you also already have seen the planet-orientation thingy. I did not post it to the BerliOs bug reporter, because of the included pictures. I wouldn't know how to do this in the bug reporter. But you have seen it and worked on it, anyway.

As always: Thanks very much! :D

And of course: Sorry for all the cat-related trouble!!!

As a result of this: Would you recommend not to jump on the Leopard for now? (Not that I would plan to do it anytime soon, anyway.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
I recently deposited a bugreport at the OolitePC Berlios thingy,
dunno whether you rather had it reported to the linux or mac repositories... PC seemed most applicable as I was using that.
The oolite-pc BerliOS project is dead. oolite-linux is the One True Oolite Place. On the off chance that dajt wanders past this thread, it’d be helpful if he removed the trackers and forums from it. :-)
Commander McLane wrote:
As a result of this: Would you recommend not to jump on the Leopard for now? (Not that I would plan to do it anytime soon, anyway.)
This seems to be a one-off freak thing, and wouldn’t have been a problem if I hadn’t been (temporarily) using Time Machine on a partition with other stuff on. (I needed to rearrange all my partitions anyway, so I took the opportunity when it broke.)
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Could you remove the 'linux' then? and make it all-Oolite or something. :)

Should I re-report the bug to berlios linux?
Riding the Rocket!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Could you remove the 'linux' then?
Nope.
Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Should I re-report the bug to berlios linux?
Yep.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

I still come by every week or so to see what's happening.

I've changed the description of Oolite-PC project to point to the Oolite-linux one, changed the home page to the Oolite-linux one, and removed most of the things like bug-tracker, feature-request, etc.

Regards,
David.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Arexack_Heretic

great, now I can't remember the bug and cannot look it up on berliosPC.
:?
...'t was a cosmetic bug though, nothing critical. Probably to do with trumbles.
!!
I remember!
The UseSpecialCargo command doen't work as expected.
1-It is not saved in the commander-file. As it was written for the NOVA mission, this is natural, there would be no time to save between accepting and completing the mission. But for more general application of this mechanism, saving may be desirable.
2-Although it's impossible to buy cargo, it is still possible to scoop cargo when a specialCargo is in place.
8)
Riding the Rocket!
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

much missed. i keep crashing when i'm not around the internet so that i can report it. ^^ but that aside, glad to have you back, and more or less in one piece. =D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.