Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New kid in the block.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I was playing Elite on a BBC emulator for the Mac, and doing the Constrictor mission. I googled "Reesdice mission", and got the Oolite BB.
Ditch the Beeb emulator, met Giles and NoSleep in a pub, and never looked back!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

lol, nice Wiggy.

Hmm. I think it was either 2 things. Most Likely the Mac downloads page, as thats where ive found every fringe game, or I think i Googled "Space Sim Flight Game Free", and after much trawling hit upon Oolite
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
How did everyone find Oolite originally?
Well, I… er… um…

Y’know, I haven’t the foggiest.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Ahruman,

missed you for the last couple of days.

Glad you're back! :D
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Wiggy wrote:
Ditched the Beeb emulator, met Giles and NoSleep in a pub, and never looked back!
"Mother, I'm just off to meet some men I've been chatting with on the internet...."
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Cmdr Thorsson(aka zx81)
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Cmdr Thorsson(aka zx81) »

After trying and failing to make an Elite type game on my zx81 back in the early 80's, I later found the real deal on my mates BBC micro and was instantly hooked.

My sadness at not getting a port to the Atari 800 has left a permanent scar that has only been soothed in recent years by playing the Elite Plus version on PC and lots of the first Frontier game on the amiga(years worth on that one).

Then a few years back I got into FFE years after it's release, even messed around with hex editing for it, and while writeing a large thread at another forum about my game I was pointed in the direction of Oolite by one of that threads participents in a recent thread i'd been running on X3.

I haven't looked at X3 since to be honest(not that its a bad game, maybe the best in that series?), but can reccommend people to use the music files from X/X2/X3 while playing Oolite - run it in winamp or whatever, it's perfect spacey music, and adds to the Oolite experience :)

Now i'm playing around with building a huge oxp expanded Oolite, and that is proving fun and challanging.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Yep, old school Elite addict on a 48k(!!!!) Spectrum - the bees knees at the time! Was hooked from the moment I first encountered docking - just watching the station revolving was enough for me!!

Encountered Oolite as v.1.06 given away on a free MacWorld CD 3 years ago, and was entranced all over again. It is significantly better looking now than that version, and the decision to build the game engine to encourage the introduction of oxps into the game was genius.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i do a random search on for mac games every so often, my last search turned up oolite. =D now i can't stop playing.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
zeep
Competent
Competent

Post by zeep »

Another oldskool Elite player. I saw it once on my friends C64 and went out to get it for the MSX asap. It was on tape. I still have the complete box standing on the shelf in the living room, for everyone to see. ;)

Still playing Oolite every now and then. Actually once i start playing i can go on for far too long, hehe. Haven't got much time lately though.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

I found Oolite on the Apple Games website as well. I had never heard of Elite :shock: before playing Oolite and reading these boards. To be quite honest, the first few times I tried playing it I thought, "this has to be the most boring game ever." Not sure how I came to give it a second chance, but the game has eaten up a considerable portion of my life ever since :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

matt634 wrote:
To be quite honest, the first few times I tried playing it I thought, "this has to be the most boring game ever." Not sure how I came to give it a second chance, but the game has eaten up a considerable portion of my life ever since :D
Thanks for your honesty! (And for giving it a second chance.)

Although many of us would rather consider Elite "the best game ever"! :wink: