Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rock Hermit questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fraoch
Competent
Competent

Rock Hermit questions

Post by Fraoch »

Does every asteroid field contain a Rock Hermit?

Also is there a good way of identifying them? About he only thing I noticed is that they reside in a larger-than-normal asteroid.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

10 No, not always
2) shiny new OXP should answer this: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3735
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, apart from the new OXP, their size is the good way to identify them, isn't it?

And of course they're named 'Rock Hermit' instead of 'Asteroid' if you lock onto them.
Fraoch
Competent
Competent

Post by Fraoch »

Commander McLane wrote:
And of course they're named 'Rock Hermit' instead of 'Asteroid' if you lock onto them.
True, but when there are 30+ objects in your scope it's kind of hard to pick them out.:)

What I've tried to do is blast all asteroids, either eliminating them from the viewscreen or rendering them into boulders, but I've never found a Rock Hermit that way.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Fraoch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
True, but when there are 30+ objects in your scope it's kind of hard to pick them out.:)

What I've tried to do is blast all asteroids, either eliminating them from the viewscreen or rendering them into boulders, but I've never found a Rock Hermit that way.
Which is why when you have Purchased the Rock Hermit Locator you will notice that a Beacon Next or Quite close to the Rock Hermit Is flashing lights in order to Guide you..

The Rock Hermit Locator can be found here...

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3735

Target it like you target normal beacons, with the Advanced Space Compas, An R will show you that you have targeted a Rock Hermit Beacon...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
SgtSchultz
Above Average
Above Average

Rock Hermit Locator -- Expensive!

Post by SgtSchultz »

Is there any particular reason why the Rock Hermit Locater is so expensive? 15000cr seems a bit steep- that's 2.5 military lasers!

I know that Hermits have some good deals on a few commodities, and that one can reap some respectable profits with a handful of trading milk-runs. I've found RH's on my own several times. However, the profits are not such that I can justify the expense, even though I've got my ship kitted out just about as good as you can for a noob, and enough cash in the bank to buy one if I thought it was worth it...

What is the rationale/game-balance justification for the RH locator's price tag? I'd say it's only worth about 1/10th the price - 1500cr would seem just about right. I'm tempted to modify the OXP to reflect this opinion, but before I make such a blatant cheat, I'd be interested in knowing the justification for the price as it stands now.
In an ally, considerations of house, clan, planet, race are insignificant besides two prime questions, which are:
1. Can he shoot?
2. Will he aim at your enemy?
- Cantra yos'Phelium
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

As with the Docking Computer, I suppose it is because you get a chance to learn to do it the hard way first and make it easier when you get more resources.

Shall we say, it stimulates you to explore all facets of the game.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

On a related note, most largish objects have a "shadow" on the HUD radar showing their size. Rock Hermits don't seem to have this. Are they not quite big enough? Or am I just inattentive?
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!