Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

questions

Post by ovvldc »

I was wondering about two things:

First of all, I saw a ship (Ghavial, from an OXP) for sale with a Naval Energy Unit. If I understand correctly, a Naval Energy Unit transfers to a new ship with you after you get it.

Does this mean I could buy this ship, thereby acquire a Naval Energy Unit and then buy back my old ship and keep the unit? It would cost a few credits, but it is a quick way around the real path to earning one of these babies.. My commander doesn't have enough credits right now, but I could edit the save file for a bit if you want me to try this.

My second question is about using a gamepad. I have a pretty basic HID-compliant Thrustmaster gamepad and I would like to use it with OOlite. How do I activate it? Just plugging it in doesn't work. Do I need to get one of the applications to map gamepad buttons to keyboard buttons? Seems like a waste of my analog controls..

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

best wishes,
Oscar
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

No. You will have a naval energy unit as long as you keep the ship. But sell it and you'll lose it. The Unit does not transfer between ships, even if you have completed the mission that it was awarded for. BUT once you complete the mission the Unit can then be bought in very high tech shipyards. If you haven't completed the mission then it is not offered for sale. The Cloaking Device, Holy Homing Beacon and the Mark Transponder Scanner are however "unpluggable" and will transfer ships with you.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Ah, thanks :).

Anyone have an idea about the gamepad? I tried the wiki, but that didn't help me much..

best wishes,
Oscar
Ragz
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragz »

i have a saitek p2600 gamepad and that works. You just have to go into the controls (F2) and assign the joystick controls there to the gamepad. As far as i can tell, as long as windows recognises the gamepad, then Oolite will too.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: questions

Post by JensAyton »

ovvldc wrote:
My second question is about using a gamepad. I have a pretty basic HID-compliant Thrustmaster gamepad and I would like to use it with OOlite. How do I activate it? Just plugging it in doesn't work. Do I need to get one of the applications to map gamepad buttons to keyboard buttons? Seems like a waste of my analog controls..
Oolite under Mac OS X does not support controllers. Software like USB Override may be used to overcome this limitation. On other platforms, controllers can be configured on the menu screen (press 2 while docked).

At one point I had very, very basic controller support (it was hardwired to handle the game pad I was using). I’ve got to say, the mouse gives much better control (press shift-M in full-screen mode).
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Oh well, time to break out the digital rodent, then..

Thanks and best wishes,
Oscar