Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Pictures of various planets

Post by Makandal »

Gentlemen, gentleladies,
I recently visited various planet for a survey on earthquakes in Galaxy 1. By chance I took my digital camera to make some pics of the landscape. I would like to share this with you but I do not get any facilities to post these pics as I have been warped and exiled in the beginning of the 21st century. The Uninet system is very primitive here.
These planets include : Reorte, Ritila, Diso and Arusqudi.

(3D imaging of course, I say that for the 5-9 years old users and the more than 70)
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you upload the pic (taken in game with SHIFT 8 ) to photobucket or other free pic sharing site and then put the link between and in the post then it will come up here.

EDIT: Aah just saw your location, upload speed could be a problem. But if you convert it to a JPEG that cuts down the size.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

By the way, their compression algorithm is really bad.
So I posted images of Reorte, Lave, Retila, Ritila, Diso and Arusqudi
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

8)
Beam me up!
Mubaryus
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Mubaryus »

this is ingame :shock: ?
"Everything i am about to tell you is true!!! I made it up myself!!!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

One day perhaps, who knows. Oolite has come such a long way since I joined, and it's all down to the dedication of the programme and OXP developers.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

If I remember correctly, Escape Velocity Nova uses similar pictures on the introduction screen to each system planet, which helps to give a 'feel' of the geography of each of them.

It could be a nice alternative to the planet picture shown in the infromation screen, but it's a LOT of work for someone to create 8*256 planets, even using Bryce or whatever is your favourite - I know, I've created a number of worlds, and variations on hermit asteroids, just for my own amusement!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

I do not believe it will be so difficult to create. The planets are created in families, there are the redish, the bluish, the yellowish and the greenish. Then, ocean or no ocean.
A bit of random parameters, and that's all. The question I will ask is where and how can I see the codes used to give a colour to the planet, put ocean and clouds and so on. The rest is just a question of time, maybe 3 man months job if we say 25 planets per day.
The worrisome and boring part will be the rendering time and the naming of the files.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Makandal wrote:
I do not believe it will be so difficult to create. The planets are created in families, there are the redish, the bluish, the yellowish and the greenish. Then, ocean or no ocean.
A bit of random parameters, and that's all.
Anh, you won't get very good fjords that way...
The question I will ask is where and how can I see the codes used to give a colour to the planet, put ocean and clouds and so on. The rest is just a question of time, maybe 3 man months job if we say 25 planets per day.
Planet sculpting is supposed to be an art, and you talk about it as an industrial process! What are you, a Vogon?
The worrisome and boring part will be the rendering time and the naming of the files.
Yeah, I thought so... :lol:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Itneresting new Avatar Maegil, what on earth is it. BTW it's 1 apeice in The Americas Cup now, hotting up nicely.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
Itneresting new Avatar Maegil, what on earth is it.
It's a close-up of a katana being drawn, the saya is on the right side and the tsuba, fuchigane and seppa are on the left. The tsuka is in the uttermost left.

<EDIT> Arigatou. (Dammit, I nearly looked good there...)
Kyaputen Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ah thank you Cap'n, so it's not a horizontal lava lamp after all then
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
Ah thank you Cap'n, so it's not a horizontal lava lamp after all then
And you think *I'm* on something vaguely illegal....:D

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Planet sculpting is not that difficult. We are not talking about getting a complete planet map but a particular landscape of this planet, giving an idea of it. This can be industrialized. It is a bit like in Space Rangers, when one lands on an inhabited planet.
I can make fjord quite easily, this is a piece of cake. The tough side is the texture of the ground, to get the feeling of stone, grass etc... as well as cities.
By the way, I keep asking, where is the file that gives the parameters for the planets ?