Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

MuTech Silver Dagger.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I forgot for whom he's lugging stuff about now, it used to be a theatre in Norway...I think.

and yes.
Ahruman is currently revamping oolite rather a bit.
Most notably for us OXPers the lingua franka has stopped being plist and is now javascript.
It will allow near unlimited acces to the fundamental code of oolite, but most of us still have to wait till someone with the skill gives us some reference codes, which we can pick appart (retroengineer/autodidact) .
Riding the Rocket!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

lex_talionis wrote:
I've run across a prob - you know that in aegidian's 'how to texture stuff you numpty' tutorial that he's got on the Oolite frontpage, he tells you to export the textures as a .png? Well, if I export mine, they come out as .bmp. Is this a problem?
It is. The next version of Oolite will only handle PNG textures.

To clarify, or at least rehash, Arexack_Heretic’s advice: the way to convert to PNG textures is:
  • Export your model as OBJ, generating foo.obj and foo.mtl files.
  • Convert the textures themselves. (GraphicConverter is a good choice here; it provides good compression and doesn’t add a bunch of unnecessary junk to the file. If you can be bothered, follow up with PNGCrusher for even better compression.)
  • Open foo.mtl in TextEdit. Search for “.bmp” and replace with “.png” (assuming you’ve converted texture bar.bmp to bar.png, etc).
As for the postage stamp issue, it’s likely that whatever you’re converting with is adding a “physical resolution chunk” to the PNG, specifying that it’s at, say, 300 ppi instead of the default 72 ppi. This doesn’t matter; Oolite will ignore it.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Cool - cheers for that Ahruman.

The only really problem with the size of the png file is that it's really hard to edit at that size! I'l work on it when the alcohol has worn off.

Just had my exam, and I'm drunkish by 2pm - good style!

:D
edible poet? onna stick?
Vajo
Competent
Competent

Post by Vajo »

lex_talionis wrote:

I hope not to much :D
Beam me up!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

lex_talionis wrote:
The only really problem with the size of the png file is that it's really hard to edit at that size! I'l work on it when the alcohol has worn off.
Zoom in? :-) If this makes it blocky, your conversion is in fact damaging the image. Which shouldn’t happen when converting BMP to PNG, but you never know.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Vajo wrote:
lex_talionis wrote:

I hope not to much :D
It's a student thing. Most of us 'career students' can hold (and excrete) our own body weight in alcoholic beverages on a single night's (and a single term's bursary/grant/loan) debauch! ;-)

Captain Hesperus
"Barman, give me four pints of what that guy passed out under the table was drinking!"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Pints?! Humpf, make that liters!

Bloody Yanks!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

What? Pints is a British thing!
edible poet? onna stick?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I thought that the Brits had joined the EU some time ago and ditched their anachronic measuring system in exchange for a civilized one!

I might be wrong, though. What's written in the books might not relate to hard reality...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

That is true.
A shopkeeper caught selling stuff in illegal measures can get fined.
I heard.

drink glasses are a cultural thing though, you can get pints in any expat pub in Europe.
Riding the Rocket!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
That is true.
A shopkeeper caught selling stuff in illegal measures can get fined.
I heard.
That has just been revoked, common sense has prevailed and we can still use the good old imperial measures.

And as far as pint glasses are concerned we have never had anything else, the only issue has been that glasses should be slightly oversized to allow for froth and therefore a "full" pint of liquid, and not a short measure.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
And as far as pint glasses are concerned we have never had anything else, the only issue has been that glasses should be slightly oversized to allow for froth and therefore a "full" pint of liquid, and not a short measure.
Yes! God save the Nonic pint glass!!

Captain Hesperus
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Yes! God save the Nonic pint glass!!
Nonic pint?! What worth can the pint have when users from different countries can't agree on how much beer goes in it? I've wikied on this and only got more confused, so I decided that any glass over 300mL is good enough for me, hear, hear!

But please, PLEASE get rid of the Imperial spanners!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I decided that any glass over 300mL is good enough for me
Now that's the right attitude, and not only that, who says it has to be a glass, as long as plenty of alcohol is consumed (but not tooo much) who cares.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
some stuff and....as long as plenty of alcohol is consumed (public health warning) who cares.
But your own body weight in real ale can't really be toooo much alcohol?!?!?!

Captain Hesperus
"cracking open a bottle right <clink> now."