Just for fun...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Just for fun...

Post by Audacitor »

Anticipation...
I'm not so think as you dumb I am...
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Nice and subtle extra detail there but what are the 2 large panels/doors under the nose?

EDIT: Just seen that they are on the original too. Given the Adder can only carry 2 tonnes I can't see that they are cargo bay doors. :?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

Now THAT is a good model. 8)

A very warm welcome to the Oolite bb. :D
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

I'm modeling the interior too.

What do you think? Should I add some vents or something on the top, since it's kind of bare up there.

EDIT: Thanks for welcome! ^_^
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Notes on modelling.

The Adder is 30m wide. So the windows in front are about ? 15-20 meters wide? I think in all models the windows are unrealistic too big.

For example the Cobra has a wide of 130 meters its windows must be about 45-50 meters wide! With this me make out of big, fulle packed hightec ships little cute models.

I saw also the new Anaconda model of the dream team with a large cargo bay in the back. Something like this looks to me like "Playmobil" playing ships. Because the interior is much more complicated than that.

I think not a single space is wasted in these hightec ships. Also camouflage looks maybe cooler, but is totaly useless in space, above all the new decressed lighting of the ships make them invisible enough. I always get 5-10 hits of a attacking ship before I can react, because I see it much too late, whereas they can hit on me from the first second.

Also camouflage is destroying the outlines of the models, so the model becomes a lumpy thing, although it isnt.

Also I would not overdo the textures like the momentary Thargoid in the dream team section. This ship is the largest 180 meters in wide. But it looks like a metalbrushed washing machine at the moment.

Less is more. Consider, that the fascination of this univers came also from the fact that the ships werent too detailed at all. In the oldest versions of elite even only a grid, i dont have to tell you. ;) So your imagination is doing all the rest. If something is put into a look where everything is totally fixed it _will_ become boring.

I dont want to offend someones work. Its great and incredible what all here are doing!! But I have to criticise honestly what troubles me.
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

Each small grid square is equivalent to one square metre. Each large grid square is equivalent to ten metres by the side.
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

Suggestions?

I agree less is more...
It's a tricky ballance when re-doing original Elite ships: To keep it simple while making a worthwhile update.

Maybe you could do more with the 'rear-end'...

Selezen's done some models of the original ships I would regard a spot-on in this repect. ( I like his exhausts )
( Apologies to others I've not mentioned who have also done some great updates )
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Also camouflage is destroying the outlines of the models,
lol - it's supposed to!!

one thing you gotta consider about paint jobs/camo etc etc...it might not be "realistic", but if we don't add variety we end up w/ every ship looking the same.
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

I wasn't meaning to implement this ship into the game. I'm going to make an animation with it. Here's a test animation (may take "a few minutes" for YouTube to process it. The planet and stuff is still in development.

Basically, I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible. I know that's dangerous, since it rubs against the traditional Oolite standard, but I just needed something to do. I got sucked into this much more than I thought I would.

BTW, Is there anyone here who's interested in obtaining the source files for this model? It would be interesting to see what you guys could do with it, and if enough people want it, I'll upload it somewhere.
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

Okay, I can say with certainty that it works now. :)
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Looks cool!

For the modelling post, I was only murmuring to myself...
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

The test animation now has sound.

Comments are appreciated.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

There's no sound in space...

Otherwise, looks good! Will we be getting some atmospheric flight in the final animation? :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Audacitor
Poor
Poor

Post by Audacitor »

Atmospheric flight will be featured, as well as in-station footage and witchspace footage. I've posted a project page on my website, where you can keep up-to-date on it.