Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hull damage

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lathanda
Average
Average

Re: Hull damage

Post by Lathanda »

I found the problem.
Jane's Galactic Shipset caused the last bug.

removing the oxp did repair the game.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Lathanda wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:21 am
I found the problem.

Well done! How did you actually test and finally pinpoint that OXP?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I have to say, I'm surprised. Jane's Galactic Shipset doesn't do anything with equipment except for the following:
1. On startup, if you have the cargo bay expansion installed, it reduces your ship's max speed.
2. If you install the cargo bay, it reduces your ship's max speed.
3. If you remove the cargo bay, it returns your ship's max speed to the original value.

And that's it.

I'm not saying the issue wasn't resolved by uninstalling this OXP, but that I think the issue is a little deeper that *just* this mod. If I get some time (Ha! Those words are so funny!) I'll try to recreate your setup and see what happens. But any other player is quite welcome to load up the mod mix and try for themselves first. I won't be offended!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:18 am
I have to say, I'm surprised. Jane's Galactic Shipset doesn't do anything with equipment except for the following:
1. On startup, if you have the cargo bay expansion installed, it reduces your ship's max speed.
2. If you install the cargo bay, it reduces your ship's max speed.
3. If you remove the cargo bay, it returns your ship's max speed to the original value.

And that's it.

I'm not saying the issue wasn't resolved by uninstalling this OXP, but that I think the issue is a little deeper that *just* this mod. If I
Me too!
Sorry I'm late here but phkb"s summary is accurate according to my understanding (as author of JGS).

However...
Lathanda wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:32 pm
After buying large cargo bay, i started loose 70 max speed everytime i leave a station.

So max spped first did reduce to 280. NOw i thought ok makes sense, more cargo less speed. But when i dropped to 210 I thought, ok, no more fun.
Especially as you cannot remove the "large cargo bay" after installing it.

Removing all oxp doesn't change the problem.

I really want to play it, but atm its to buggy.

I tried to identify all broken oxp's, but I assume broken oxp's damage save files permanently.
...That really does sound like a relevant bug.

I've never quite worked out how to distinguish between making a change persistent (i.e. maintained across saves) or otherwise and so I normally remove them before the player saves their game.

The above sounds like I've added a check for the large cargo bay prior to launching as well as at start. That would be unnecessary when I could just check if it had been added or not.

I'll have a look later and report back.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

OK, I've had a quick look and although there was no check upon launching (nor should there be I think) there is a potential for error.

What I can do is have it reset the relevant speed adjustment just prior to saving.
That should prevent the speed penalty being applied more than once.

Thanks for the report.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 pm
Lathanda wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:34 pm
I have taken a lot of hull damage, but I am unable to find any way to repair it.

Can anyone give me hint what I am missing?
When docked, check the F3 screen and page down to near the end of the list. You should have the option to buy a [EliteWiki] Maintenance overhaul.
Hello everyone.

I've seen that maintenance overhaul numerous times and clicked it without thinking much.
This time I travelled in G1from Ceesixe to Lave, almost without docking. After all I only needed some fuel and made good use of the fuel generator.
Eventually my Vimana HUD was flashing 14. According to the documentation the ship needs maintenance when 14 is visible. I take it that flashing means 'visible'.

So now in Lave station I go trough the F3 screen but there is no such option 'Maintenance Overhaul'. I launch from the station and the flashing is still there. Back in the station neither F3 nor F4 screens allow me to do some maintenance. Then I remember this thread and am wondering whether I ran into the same pit?
I found the problem.

Well, that OXP is not installed at all...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:20 pm
Eventually my Vimana HUD was flashing 14. According to the documentation the ship needs maintenance when 14 is visible. I take it that flashing means 'visible'.
?

I'm not sure that I've ever seen any of my Vimana's flashing "14".

What did you actually see?

NB: I know about Maintenance needs from the Useful MFDs... (top left - see "Service Level")

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:07 pm
hiran wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:20 pm
?

I'm not sure that I've ever seen any of my Vimana's flashing "14".

What did you actually see?

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:25 pm
That's definitely a problem.

Personally, I rely on Useful MFDs and add in Phkb's Maintenance Tune Up so that I can service my ship whenever I feel like it (Useful MFDs lets me know the situation before I take a long journey so that I can judge whether to pay for a service first). I've never had any problems.

The only question is... what was the TL of the station where you were looking for a tune-up? It needs to be at least 7.

Which raises another question. We find shipyards in lower TL environments (most famously, TL5 Lave where Cowell & MgRath have been making the Cobra Mk.3 for yonks). How can it need a higher TL for servicing? After all, equipment can be fixed at a slightly lower TL...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:25 am
Personally, I rely on Useful MFDs and add in Phkb's Maintenance Tune Up so that I can service my ship whenever I feel like it (Useful MFDs lets me know the situation before I take a long journey so that I can judge whether to pay for a service first). I've never had any problems.
Remember I followed your advice to switch to Vimana Hud?
So how come you use something else now, and how come you never had problems?
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:25 am
The only question is... what was the TL of the station where you were looking for a tune-up? It needs to be at least 7.
ter all, equipment can be fixed at a slightly lower TL...
Indeed I was docked at Lave when I tried to do the maintenance overhaul. Now that you mention I need TL7+ I decided to move to Leesti and was able to maintain the ship.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:16 am
So how come you use something else now, and how come you never had problems?
It's interesting to retrace how it happened....

Playing with Stranger's World, and wanting a readout of the Solar Flux I started using the Useful MFDs which give an updated reading of it. (Using the Advanced System Data MFD is a bit of a pain since one has to target the sun with the ASC in order to get a readout on it - so one can't target anything else. Using Useful MFDs is much better - especially once Dybal fixed it).

The Useful MFDs also give the Service Level. Since one gets a longer-lasting service at a higher TL station, I was able to time my Maintenance Overhauls to take advantage of visiting eg. Ceesxe or Xexedi. So I stopped seeing light #14, and forgot it existed!

I always have the two Useful MFDs showing. I find them vital for almost all the information (apart from the Resale Price!). When I start playing I use the "Vimana-X 6 MFD" and then upgrade to the "12 MFD" when I'm adding the ASC and the various Target System Plugins.
Comments wanted: