RELEASE: Isis Interstellar

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

RELEASE: Isis Interstellar

Post by Killer Wolf »

Hopefully this works!

If you're in the vicinity of Cebior, North-East sector of Galaxy 2, pop into Isis Interstellar. The station should be visible in exit from Witchspace, visible as "I" if you have an ASC. Worth a visit for some discounted equipment, or if you just like docking experiences; i don't think auto works well, so go in manually ~ looks for the green flashers.
Also included is II's lastest fighter, the Poltergeist, which could be thought of as a Spectre MkII, available from Tech 9 and above. The station uses twin-cannoned military versions as defense ships, so....behave yourselves.

https://app.box.com/s/l6zdq495zlci7t500l758my9ccqj9lvp
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: RELEASE: Isis Interstellar

Post by hiran »

Sounds nice!
Would you like to fill in a manifest.plist file?

Then we could add it to the expansions manager. But much more important: In the manifest.plist file there is a field for you to declare the license.
Without one, or with the wrong one others would not even be allowed to download your stuff, not to speak about using it.

See also https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:16 pm
Sounds nice!
Would you like to fill in a manifest.plist file?

Then we could add it to the expansions manager. But much more important: In the manifest.plist file there is a field for you to declare the license.
Without one, or with the wrong one others would not even be allowed to download your stuff, not to speak about using it.

See also https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/
If you look inside this oxp, at KW's ReadMe, you will see he has included his usual license details there (...as below).
Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:36 pm
~ as per other threads/comments/whatever, all my stuff is freely available for people to do what they want w/; my only stipulation was, be respectful.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Would there be any chance of somebody posting a save-file to allow new players to visit this one? (I lack the skills, sadly)

It is really quite spectacular - especially the docking process. KW has outdone himself again.

Reference: cbr's screenshots from the screenshots thread
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Thank you for the kind comments :-)

As mentioned i'm happy for people to tinker - if someone wants to take out my Cebior-specific script and make so the station appears in, say, high tech places, that's cool ~ it's always possible that given II is a massive global power, stations would spring up in several places.

KW
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:22 pm
Thank you for the kind comments :-)

As mentioned i'm happy for people to tinker - if someone wants to take out my Cebior-specific script and make so the station appears in, say, high tech places, that's cool ~ it's always possible that given II is a massive global power, stations would spring up in several places.

KW
Finally managed to successfully dock (4th attempt)!

Again, phenomenal!

0) What do wish me to do about this on our wiki?

We currently have an Isis Interstellar category page (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Categ ... terstellar) as well as the current Isis Interstellar page (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Isis_Interstellar) as well as your page (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Killer_Wolf).

My initial thoughts are to take the text from the current IsInt page and add them to the category page, and then turn the IsInt page into one dedicated to your newest OXP.

But of course the text there advertises your older Isis Interstellar oxp (contains Vampires for police, pirates, traders, a player purgatori vampire & a player reaper vampire with a selection of HUDs).

But: there is no lore for it yet. Do you intend on producing anything?

I presume the choice of G2 Cebior is due to the vicious vicious wolves and the reasonably high TL.

1) Phkb can show you how to remove the standard ships from the F3F3 shipyard and just replace them with Isis Interstellar ships (he did something not dissimilar in his LaveInitialShipyard.oxz (it ensures that, regardless of what ship OXP's you have installed that might adjust the RNG process, there will always be a Cobra MkI and an Adder for sale at Lave whenever you start a new game)

2) How about adding a BGS docking sequence to it? See https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BGS2_Doc#Docking_FX for Svengali's instructions
Comments wanted:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

to the updates, i'm easy. i think the category could be left as a kinda "index", and the II page left too w/ the nex oxp added under "stations". i'll try and write up a bit lore to pad things out, when i get a spare few minutes. you're better at this sort of thing so, so i'm happy to trust your judgement.

i was wondering about trying to get the station to only sell II ships, but as per other posts i found too much of my limited spare time getting eaten up by fighting w/ the scripts and stuff. it was also supposed to have a little more eye candy in that i wanted random ships on the landing pads/service bays, but after the existing scripts ran my patience out i didn't want to even think about trying to add that :-D

BGS is superb but not right for the station i think, but i'll definitely consider it for one of the other projects i have on my list.

cheers
KW
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:53 pm
to the updates, i'm easy. i think the category could be left as a kinda "index", and the II page left too w/ the nex oxp added under "stations". i'll try and write up a bit lore to pad things out, when i get a spare few minutes. you're better at this sort of thing so, so i'm happy to trust your judgement.

cheers
KW

Sorry to bug you

1) Are any of your OXPs not tied in with Isis Interstellar? (Steampunk HUD? Wasps? etc)

2) And is there anything we could do with the wiki which might make wrestling with Javascript any easier? I know just enough to hunt down examples and add them in here and there. And I managed to bamboozle Massively Locked into writing an introduction to it. But is there anything else which could help?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

i was wondering about trying to get the station to only sell II ships, but as per other posts i found too much of my limited spare time getting eaten up by fighting w/ the scripts and stuff. it was also supposed to have a little more eye candy in that i wanted random ships on the landing pads/service bays, but after the existing scripts ran my patience out i didn't want to even think about trying to add that :-D
Now I am wondering whether we should move this forward together? It is a great start and it seems ideas are around...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:24 pm
Now I am wondering whether we should move this forward together? It is a great start and it seems ideas are around...
My abilities with Javascript are useless - all attempts so far have run into bugs I've been unable to debug. I had a look at some linters, but am unable to decipher their output.

I did have a look (thanks to your oolite-expansion-catalog) at the scripts inside Thargoid's Aquatics (competent javascript programmer who also created his own "Aquatics" shipbuilder) but nothing relevant (but includes some intriguing add-ons for his Planetfall.oxp by the way). Ionics is too early (pre-Javascript - from 2006!), and so are a number of others.

There might be something doing this inside cim's SOTL oxp's where the vanilla game ships have been removed from the shipyards (unless it relies on something doing it in the vanilla game code). Or perhaps we could persuade Phkb to create such a script. With a script, we might be able to adapt it for a number of other shipyards and add it in to other relevant oxp's (Aquatics.oxp, Taranis.oxp etc.).

There are also scripts which we could adapt (if we could work out how) to tailor the F3 ship's chandlery for these stations - look inside Alnivel's recent rejig of the Tionisla Chronicle Array.

Might a solution be to reduce the station's TL to 0 and then manually add back in the ships/equipment we want to sell there? But that would impact on the maintenance of the ship.
Comments wanted:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:18 pm

cheers
KW

Sorry to bug you

1) Are any of your OXPs not tied in with Isis Interstellar? (Steampunk HUD? Wasps? etc)

2) And is there anything we could do with the wiki which might make wrestling with Javascript any easier? I know just enough to hunt down examples and add them in here and there. And I managed to bamboozle Massively Locked into writing an introduction to it. But is there anything else which could help?
probably just some of the HUDs. the Wasps were an in-joke, II had a project to create a Witchspace Autonomous Security Probe to watch out for Thargoids and thought it would be funny to base them on actual wasps, but the AI developed a bit of unexpected waspy sentience. II to this day pretend they had nothing to do w/ them.

i think having the page as a general II info, then a link to a ship page and a station page might be enough, if that's easily doable? otherwise just have it all on one page and maybe just a jump-to link somewhere?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

hiran wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:24 pm
from my questions elsewhere, it sounded easy enough - copy some ship models and give then a unique name/role, and place them around as sub-ents, then remove random ones. not sure if you could get random different ships on a particular landing pad or such like, i think it would always be, eg a Cobra for pad 2, and it would either be there or not depending on randomicityness.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:53 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:18 pm

cheers
KW

Sorry to bug you

probably just some of the HUDs. the Wasps were an in-joke, II had a project to create a Witchspace Autonomous Security Probe to watch out for Thargoids and thought it would be funny to base them on actual wasps, but the AI developed a bit of unexpected waspy sentience. II to this day pretend they had nothing to do w/ them.

i think having the page as a general II info, then a link to a ship page and a station page might be enough, if that's easily doable? otherwise just have it all on one page and maybe just a jump-to link somewhere?
I was thinking of having 4 pages: Category:Isis Interstellar, Isis Interstellar (Company), Isis Interstellar (Ships OXP) & Isis Interstellar (Station).

My only issue is that the II Ships OXP is an incomplete collection of II ships & HUDs from back in Nov 2013 with Jan 2007 textures & models: Vampires for police, pirates, traders, a player purgatori vampire & a player reaper vampire with a selection of HUDs - WolfHUD, newWolfHUD, originalWolfHUD). I was wondering if it might be better to just add it in as a footnote to an Isis Interstellar OXP page instead. But the 4 pages solution is a clearer one (see my SothisTC page to understand the issues). The Isis Interstellar wiki presence will be as big as the new station!

By the way, I could not get the dimensions for the station. I used Norby's Gallery OXP and could only find parts with dimensions, not the entire station. Do you have the stats to hand for it? I need to fill in the following:

Code: Select all

Date taken from Coriolis (Oolite):
Size (metres, W×H×L) 	1000 x 1000 x 1000
Manoeuvrability 	Roll: 8.0
 	 	 	Pitch: 8.0
 	 	 	Rotating 	Yes
Energy recharge rate 	100
Armaments 	 	None
Defenders 	 	GalCop
OXP or standard 	Standard
Beacon 	 	 	N
Exactly how a Coriolis is supposed to have "pitch" rather flummoxes me...
Comments wanted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 pm
from my questions elsewhere, it sounded easy enough - copy some ship models and give then a unique name/role, and place them around as sub-ents, then remove random ones. not sure if you could get random different ships on a particular landing pad or such like, i think it would always be, eg a Cobra for pad 2, and it would either be there or not depending on randomicityness.
You could add multiple types of ships to each landing pad, using the same position for each one on a particular pad. And then just randomly remove all but one in that position. A bit more work, but certainly do-able.
Here's one I prepared earlier...

First: add this to the "KW_II" definition in shipdata.plist

"KW_II" = {
        ... various items...
        script = "II_stationscript.js";
    };
Next, create a new script file in the "Scripts" folder called "II_stationscript.js" and add this code:

"use strict";
this.name = "II_stationscript";
this.author = "Killer Wolf";
this.copyright = "(C) 2024 Killer Wolf.";
this.license = "CC-NC-by-SA 3.0";

this._selling = ["KW_polt_player","kwkingcobraplayer", "kc2_player", "phantomplayer", "kwintimphantomplayer",
    "reduxmark1player", "reduxmark1goldplayer", "reduxgoldplayer", "domplayer", "purgplayer", "dbackplayer", "v6player",
    "venomplayer", "renegadevenomplayer", "werewolfplayer", "purgwolfplayer"];

this.shipSpawned = function() {
    var sy = this.ship.shipyard;
    var i = sy.length;
    while (i--) {
        if (this._selling.indexOf(sy[i].shipdata_key) == -1) {
            this.ship.removeShipFromShipyard(i);
        }
    }
}
What that code will do is remove any ship from the shipyard of your station that isn't one of the ship keys we've defined in the "this._selling" array. Basically, we're removing all the non-Isis ships from the shipyard.

You could then get funky and add at least 1 variation of all installed Isis ships to the shipyard.
Last edited by phkb on Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Oh, and *man* that thing is big!