Nuit Space station

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Nuit Space station

Post by Killer Wolf »

Thank you for the kind comments and welcome :-) Don't think i'll be contributing much ans i'm involved in many other things now but i stumbled across those OXPs and thought they might as well stop gathering dust.

@spara ~ as per other threads/comments/whatever, all my stuff is freely available for people to do what they want w/; my only stipulation was, be respectful.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:36 pm
Thank you for the kind comments and welcome :-) Don't think i'll be contributing much ans i'm involved in many other things now but i stumbled across those OXPs and thought they might as well stop gathering dust.

@spara ~ as per other threads/comments/whatever, all my stuff is freely available for people to do what they want w/; my only stipulation was, be respectful.
Thank you for the two new stations - they look superb (and your work on the new docking tunnels is a very nice addition, as always)!

KW, is there any chance of republishing some of your other oxp's which are no longer available?

To whit:
•Killer Wolf's Dynamic HUD (2010) - I'm very impressed by the "docked" screen
•Steampunk HUD (2011)

Did you create any other HUDs which were not part of a ship (Wolf's HUD?)?

I'm unsure if there are any other OXP's.

What we have of yours is primarily here: https://app.box.com/s/jwz5fc63ld6jiuittp65

Furthermore, if you can let me get at the material from your old website, then I can put everything up on our wiki. For example, a description of Wasps (there is virtually nothing in the ReadMe).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 am
Switeck, do you have any ideas as to how I would tweak the markets in Hathor & Nepthys to get the effects that Killer Wolf was after? There's a super pdf brochure inside the .oxp which explains what he wanted (now copied onto the wiki page, here).
As for the missing markets for the 2 new (to us!) stations mentioned here...

I put this in for my mod of Hathor Station:

Code: Select all

"market_capacity" = 127; // maximum capacity for any good
	market_definition = (
	{
		// Needs Food and Wines
		"type" = "class";
		"name" = "oolite-edible";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 2.0;
		"quantity_randomiser" = 0;
	},
	{
		// Narcotics not available?
		"type" = "class";
		"name" = "oolite-medical";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.0;
		"quantity_randomiser" = 0.5;
		"capacity" = 31;
	},
	{
		// Export Luxury items 
		"type" = "class";
		"name" = "oolite-luxury";
	},
	{
		// import cheap minerals
		"type" = "good";
		"name" = "minerals";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.1;
	},
	{
		// Slightly less available than main station
		"type" = "default";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.95;
	}
	);
	"market_monitored" = no;
And this for Nephthys Station:

market_definition = (
	{
		// Needs Food and Wines
		"type" = "class";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.5;
	},
	{
		"type" = "class";
		"capacity" = 31;
	},
	{
		// Export Luxury items 
		"type" = "class";
		"quantity_randomiser" = 2.0;
	},
	{
		// import cheap minerals
		"type" = "good";
		"name" = "minerals";
	},
	{
		"type" = "default";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.9;
	}
	);
	"market_monitored" = no;
Some of that is self-explanatory.
"quantity_multiplier" = 0.5; ...means half as much "regular" amounts. So if there were 50-53 TC computers at the main station, the "regular" amount of 50 TC would be reduced to 25 TC.
"quantity_randomiser" = 2.0; ...means twice as much random amounts. So if there were 50-53 TC computers at the main station, the "random" amount is only 0-3 TC of computers. Doubling that doesn't do much.
"market_monitored" = no; ...means you don't gain a bounty from leaving the station loaded with slaves/firearms/narcotics. I probably should change that one.

I didn't touch prices. Any increase or reduction should only be maybe 1-10% or it can become a game balance issue. (Free credits in other words.)

Edit: These changes were done to the shipdata.plist files for the 2 stations.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Nuit, Hathor, & Nephtys Space stations

Post by Cholmondely »

Switeck wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:39 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 am
Switeck, do you have any ideas as to how I would tweak the markets in Hathor & Nepthys to get the effects that Killer Wolf was after? There's a super pdf brochure inside the .oxp which explains what he wanted (now copied onto the wiki page, here).
As for the missing markets for the 2 new (to us!) stations mentioned here...

I put this in for my mod of Hathor Station:

market_definition = (
	{
		// Needs Food and Wines
		"type" = "class";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 2.0;
	},
	{
		"type" = "class";
		"capacity" = 31;
	},
	{
		// Export Luxury items 
		"type" = "class";
	},
	{
		// import cheap minerals
		"type" = "good";
		"name" = "minerals";
	},
	{
		"type" = "default";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.95;
	}
	);
	"market_monitored" = no;
And this for Nephthys Station:

market_definition = (
	{
		// Needs Food and Wines
		"type" = "class";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.5;
	},
	{
		"type" = "class";
		"capacity" = 31;
	},
	{
		// Export Luxury items 
		"type" = "class";
	},
	{
		// import cheap minerals
		"type" = "good";
		"name" = "minerals";
	},
	{
		"type" = "default";
		"quantity_multiplier" = 0.9;
	}
	);
	"market_monitored" = no;
Some of that is self-explanatory.
"quantity_multiplier" = 0.5; ...means half as much "regular" amounts. So if there were 50-53 TC computers at the main station, the "regular" amount of 50 TC would be reduced to 25 TC.
"quantity_randomiser" = 2.0; ...means twice as much random amounts. So if there were 50-53 TC computers at the main station, the "random" amount is only 0-3 TC of computers. Doubling that doesn't do much.
"market_monitored" = no; ...means you don't gain a bounty from leaving the station loaded with slaves/firearms/narcotics. I probably should change that one.

I didn't touch prices. Any increase or reduction should only be maybe 1-10% or it can become a game balance issue. (Free credits in other words.)

Edit: These changes were done to the shipdata.plist files for the 2 stations.
Thank you!

So just thinking through and trying to make sense of all this:
1) Hathor Trade Station description:
"For several years, traders had been complaining about prices and availability of products at the main GalCop stations. Being the only trade point for a system, demand was high and prices often matched, leaving a very slim profit margin for many, especially new traders or those independent pilots w/out large contracts. To this end, several businesses began trading from large dockable ships and sometimes asteroid bases, setting up independent markets that could cater to bulk haulers, casual traders and even hard up pilots trying to make a living but unable to afford the prices at main stations.

...Although the range of goods at a Hathor is not as broad as a main station, this is not their point : they deal mainly in staples and essentials, which is exactly where a lot of pilots make their living.

The Hathor was designed as a wholesaler - dealing with bulk traders for supply they stocked plenty and were able to keep prices low, ensuring a steady stream of traffic. "

Game implications (Hathor):
Cheaper prices for food, etc.
No market or minor market for furs, luxuries etc.

Making sense of the above in game logic
We already know that the prices in the GalCop main orbital stations include taxes and fees. This presumably accounts for the cheaper prices for staples.
Therefore the Hathor stations cannot be GalCop stations (or they would have higher prices too). So unless GalCop has spies or an agreement with the local government which paid for the Hathor station, there would be no GalCop bounty involved in dealing in guns/drugs/slaves - but that does not of course mean that the local government would allow the Hathor station to deal in them.

2) Nephthys Station description
"The polar opposite of the Hathor, the Nephthys is a high class, very expensive, luxurious station...

Nephthys stations are generally bought by the rich and famous as private retreats, or used as extremely high class hotels and resorts. The rotating upper structures are fully customisable and have been turned into exclusive penthouses, restaurants and hotels.

The main structure of the station contains power, docking, maintenance, accommodation and trading facilities : generally, given their exclusive clientele, Nephthys stations deal only in luxuries and gourmet wines and food.

... Privately-owned Nephthys stations invariably have a private defence force of well-armed vessels."

Game implications (Nephthys) & making sense of the above vis-a-vis game logic
Prices might be the same or slightly different (cheaper or more expensive) (would they even want oikish traders calling? Maybe some might refuse entry to traders not in Fer-de-Lances or similar up-market ships!) I think I saw something labelled as a Tradesman's Entrance when I was scouting around!!
Goods: upper-end luxuries

Trade in illegals might or might not exist - cocaine rather than marijuana, one presumes. Slaves would presumably be luxury slaves, if there were any. Firearms would be Digebitian duelling pistols (and maybe arms for one's private guard - but would those markets not be sewn up by the concessions renting space on the station itself. Maybe they would buy such weapons for a discount. Again, not GalCop, and no penalty.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:37 pm
Trade in illegals might or might not exist - cocaine rather than marijuana, one presumes.
ASD - Arzaquarian Soma Distillate.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:37 pm
2) Nephthys Station description
"The polar opposite of the Hathor, the Nephthys is a high class, very expensive, luxurious station...

Nephthys stations are generally bought by the rich and famous as private retreats, or used as extremely high class hotels and resorts. The rotating upper structures are fully customisable and have been turned into exclusive penthouses, restaurants and hotels.

The main structure of the station contains power, docking, maintenance, accommodation and trading facilities : generally, given their exclusive clientele, Nephthys stations deal only in luxuries and gourmet wines and food.

... Privately-owned Nephthys stations invariably have a private defence force of well-armed vessels."

Game implications (Nephthys) & making sense of the above vis-a-vis game logic
Prices might be the same or slightly different (cheaper or more expensive) (would they even want oikish traders calling? Maybe some might refuse entry to traders not in Fer-de-Lances or similar up-market ships!) I think I saw something labelled as a Tradesman's Entrance when I was scouting around!!
Goods: upper-end luxuries

Trade in illegals might or might not exist - cocaine rather than marijuana, one presumes. Slaves would presumably be luxury slaves, if there were any. Firearms would be Digebitian duelling pistols (and maybe arms for one's private guard - but would those markets not be sewn up by the concessions renting space on the station itself. Maybe they would buy such weapons for a discount. Again, not GalCop, and no penalty.
Regarding access to the station I have currently 2 ideas in mind, either a membership, let's say C 5K only available at certain systems, or a check of the player's balance, possibly if you own less than 20K your docking is denied.

Slaves and drugs ? A certain demand for sure exists, would make sense if this demand depends on the system government, dictators more slaves for example.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:01 am
Regarding access to the station I have currently 2 ideas in mind, either a membership, let's say C 5K only available at certain systems, or a check of the player's balance, possibly if you own less than 20K your docking is denied.
I prefer the second.

By the way, "thank you" for including the station descriptions in the Ship's Library!

Is it merely a matter of including an accurate shiplibrary.plist in the config folder, or is there more involved?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am
montana05 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:01 am
I prefer the second.

By the way, "thank you" for including the station descriptions in the Ship's Library!

Is it merely a matter of including an accurate shiplibrary.plist in the config folder, or is there more involved?
Personally I prefer the second as well, still working on it to deny any kind of docking, including closing the docks when the player tries to go in without clearance.

The ship library is a matter of 5 min (the most), you just need to set some parameters, include a description and add the file to the config folder..
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yeah, the second option - but 20k is peanuts!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:40 pm
Yeah, the second option - but 20k is peanuts!
Well, for a newcomer it's pretty high, originally I wanted to set it to 100K but later slowed down. After I finished the docking problem, I might add another fee per day to park your ship there. Currently, the station doesn't have a shipyard but sells equipment up to level 15, with 20% higher prices. The market need to be individualized, next step before the upload.
Cody

Post by Cody »

How about a percentage - the more you have, the more you pay (with lower and upper limits, perhaps)?
montana05 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:50 pm
I might add another fee per day to park your ship there.
Yes, excellent idea!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:20 pm
Personally I prefer the second as well, still working on it to deny any kind of docking, including closing the docks when the player tries to go in without clearance.
Did you sneak a peek at Tsoj's coding for docking at HIMSN naval bases? He wrote something that feels very abrupt and effective. You're very definitely not docking at a GalCop orbital station aimed at the general public!

Try visiting one of the naval bases and see how it feels!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:47 pm
Did you sneak a peek at Tsoj's coding for docking at HIMSN naval bases? He wrote something that feels very abrupt and effective. You're very definitely not docking at a GalCop orbital station aimed at the general public!

Try visiting one of the naval bases and see how it feels!
Thanks for the tip, Cholmondely, while it is pretty similar to my own approach, it did include a feature I missed. Today it seems that I have a working version, now if a player tries to dock without clearance he will pulverize at the dock gate. I need some more testing to figure out a discrepancy between shipdata.plist and dock script, but the main task seems to be finished.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Version V 1.02 of the Nephthys Space Station is available on box: https://app.box.com/s/cwfm6hnvt0ryiks8cfalw3v16uzvolyg

Changes:
Docking is now only possible with at least 20K credits on your account
individual market based on the market definitions from Switeck, I did add some demand for narcotics and slaves

Version V 1.51 of the Nuit Space Station is now available on the expansion manager. The box link will be removed soon.

For more details, please check the wiki page: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Nuit_ ... tation_OXP
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Would there be sense in splitting off the Hathor/Nephthys posts from the Nuit ones into a new thread?

OR, alternatively, in renaming the thread to "Nuit, Hathor & Nephthys space stations"?
Comments wanted: