Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New splash screen and icon

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thoughts on the new icon/splash screen

I like it!
46%
Mixed feelings.
23%
I don't like it.
15%
I think it needs something...
15%

Total votes: 13

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New splash screen and icon

Post by Redspear »

...just to add that the most complete, if I had to pick one right now and we couldn't change it, icon presented thus far is (IMHO of course)...
Nite Owl wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:31 am
Simple, clear, distinct.

phkb wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:07 pm
Edit to add: Once we have a "definitive" version, I'll share whatever resources I've created, and then everyone can go nuts with colours.
Sounds like a plan :D
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Redspear wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:01 am
...just to add that the most complete, if I had to pick one right now and we couldn't change it, icon presented thus far is (IMHO of course)...
Nite Owl wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:31 am
Simple, clear, distinct.

phkb wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:07 pm
Edit to add: Once we have a "definitive" version, I'll share whatever resources I've created, and then everyone can go nuts with colours.
Sounds like a plan :D
+1
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

The trouble is, I've really gone off that white/red combo! I just feel the light red colour towards the ends of the wings is just... well, weak. The black variants feel stronger. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, here's some more options:
Gwydion
Average
Average

Post by Gwydion »

I really like there new red icon designs.
I you don't like the light red bleaching out could you make a gradient and fade into gold. That would make the wing tips gold?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Gwydion wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:34 pm
I you don't like the light red bleaching out could you make a gradient and fade into gold. That would make the wing tips gold?
Kind of like this?

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

and a few hue variants...
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Now I want a disco variant that just strobes through all the color versions.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Gwydion
Average
Average

Post by Gwydion »

Yes, the red/gold one is what I was thinking. Love it. :D
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:04 pm
The trouble is, I've really gone off that white/red combo! I just feel the light red colour towards the ends of the wings is just... well, weak. The black variants feel stronger. But maybe that's just me.
Ir you remember up thread, I prefered it fading to black, just with the red being more dominant than the black. I was saying if I had to pick one , with no changes.
Anyway, here's some more options:
...jingle bells, jingle bells... :wink:

The red text on the gold doesn't work for me. The other one is much better in terms of readability but so dark that it looks like you hate red and were contractually obliged to include it...

Maybe we're doing this wrong and should think instead how it looks as a small icon. We shouldn't lose anything be scaling up but by scaling down that may not be the case.

Meanwhile...
phkb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:54 pm
Gwydion wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:34 pm
Kind of like this?

Again, the red is almost lost here but it may be just(/nearly) enough solve the readability on the purely gold versions earlier.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Nope me 2!

&
Maybe we're doing this wrong and should think instead how it looks as a small icon
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

cbr wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 pm
Maybe we're doing this wrong and should think instead how it looks as a small icon
The leftmost two work the best I think. Personally, I feel you've cut a liitle two much red on the 'baubles' given how dark that grey is. Other than that, I'd say those two look really good!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

'Nuances', center one added...
phkb

Post by phkb »

Redspear wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:40 pm
The red text on the gold doesn't work for me.
Maybe a bit of bronze, instead? Gold is a hard colour to get a good match to.
The other one is much better in terms of readability but so dark that it looks like you hate red and were contractually obliged to include it...
:lol: :lol: Actually, it was a black-dark red variation, but I've increased the saturation in the above one to make it more dominant.

Again, the red is almost lost here but it may be just(/nearly) enough solve the readability on the purely gold versions earlier.
Red doesn't do well with the gold - by the time the gradient has finished transitioning, it ends up looking more orange than red. And if I stop the gradient early (ie only have a small transition near the tips of the wings), the red just looks wrong. Swapping to the dark red solves a bit of this, but well, dark red, for haters of red!

Here, see if you think the same:
Maybe we're doing this wrong and should think instead how it looks as a small icon.
There are things I can do with just the icon to make things more readable: swapping coloured text for just black, removing bevels, etc. I think any of the samples I've put forward will be able to work as an icon (I mean, there's only so much you can do with 32x32 pixels or less, but the other sizes are ok).

Using the bronze/gold combo as a sample...
Here, the largest icon is 256x256, which is mostly still equivalent. The next size down is 128x128, which is now starting to lose some definition. The rest of the sizes are 64x64, and I've taken a different approach with each one, using a solid colour for all except the first one. I think the text can be made to be quite readable at that resolution. Below that resolution everything becomes a little indistinct. I could also remove the gradient on the really small sizes, which might help a bit more.

The point is, whenever we decide on the colour combo we like the most for the splash screen, I can make the icons work with it.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

cbr wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:23 pm

'Nuances', center one added...
Hello centre 8)

phkb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 pm
Red doesn't do well with the gold - by the time the gradient has finished transitioning, it ends up looking more orange than red. And if I stop the gradient early (ie only have a small transition near the tips of the wings), the red just looks wrong
Perhaps I haven't been clear. If it just looks like some kind of 'rose' gold then that's fine with me. The gold being dominant over the red works I think (not talking about the text here) but the black being too dominant over the red (YMMV) just makes it look like an old sofa to me I'm afraid...

The red text on the gold doesn't work for me.
Maybe a bit of bronze, instead? Gold is a hard colour to get a good match to.
My issue with the red on the gold was that it gets 'lost'. Fine for a 'blend', less so for text.

The image on the right however, looks pretty good I think.

There are things I can do with just the icon to make things more readable: swapping coloured text for just black, removing bevels, etc...

The point is, whenever we decide on the colour combo we like the most for the splash screen, I can make the icons work with it.
Point taken. As you were...
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

My opinion is opposite Redspear's haha. I really like the red on gold.

Is the font "fixed" for us? I mean is there a specific reason it's that font, and we can't really change it without a whole 'nother multi-page thread? ;)

The reason I ask is because when I look at some of these versions, what I read isn't Oolite, it's Dolite. The O is too boxy, so in some versions it looks more like a D. Which is the case in the red on gold image above - for me, anyway.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X