Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Screenshots

Post by cbr »

And a few more KW_cor's adjusted for my display...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 pm
And a few more KW_cor's adjusted for my display...
cbr - is it possible to fly into the docking tunnel and photograph your ship from the outside through the gaping holes?

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

no, the dock is damaged but the walls are all intact so you can't see through them. Wouldn't been a nice touch but the Cori is stock and there's not really enough space to put holes to make that effect.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:shock: That is beautiful KW, the level of detail is astonishing!
szaumix
Deadly
Deadly

Post by szaumix »

You guys are always outdoing yourselves, that is amazing.

Isn't the most obvious idea that this is the pirate-overtaken Anarchy GalCop that everyone has been dreaming about for the last decade? Why not?

EDIT: I mean they clearly took it by force, most anarchy GalCops are hanging on by a thread and constant reenforcements anyway. They clearly didn't give up without a fight, but the constant Aegis raids and gangster attacks were too much! I don't have Anarchies because those death star balls in the middle of the space lanes were simply too on the nose. But these . . . I mean it suits so perfectly.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to destroy the Thargoid-infested station.

If memory serves, that was Elite Plus - a long time ago!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

szaumix wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:15 pm
I mean it suits so perfectly.
Was it pirates? Was it Thargoids, Was it civil war? Unpredictable solar activity perhaps? Safety neglect in a low tech system?
Has it been overtaken or has it been defended or is it now being abandoned? or repaired?

What we have is a (highly impressive) damaged station. So the obvious questions might be: can you still dock with it and what happens if you do?

If you can't do the former then it's arguably missing a trick and just cosmetic. If it's now a pirate or thargoid station then the options for the latter are likely pretty limited. If it's not then I think there's quite a lot of scope for services, trade, missions and other things besides.
szaumix
Deadly
Deadly

Post by szaumix »

How easy is it to code the randomization of such a dockable as a replacement to a normal main Cori?

Like, any given cori system has say a 1/100 chance of this, and by the next exit and return it's back to normal?

Is that an easy write up or a big hassle?

Also the obvious effect would be pricing. Off the top of my head: basic stuff that never costs much is now way overpriced (Alloys / Minerals / Water / Oxygen etc) and that's ALL there is.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Griff wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:02 pm
:shock: That is beautiful KW, the level of detail is astonishing!
thank you sir. the original model was a beauty to work w/ :-)
the slightly annoying thing is, i really cut down the detail cos i didn't want it to slow the game to unplayability. it came in a few thousand polys anyways but when i tested it, on my system anyways, there was no noticable slow-down at all so i ended up making the outer shell damage a bit more jaggy. COuld maybe have gotten away w/ a bit mroe detail, but what the Hell, it looked okay and the theory was you'd be too busy dodging alien bullets to be sight-seeing.

to other comments, the damage was supposed to be Thargoids. my original plan was a mission - you'd dock and get a message from the Navy saying there'd been a surprise attack one jump away and Damage, Inc. were on their way but they needed someone to go in fast and rescue a VIP before the station gave up completely. after you'd run the gauntlet and docked you'd launch, jump out again and face some more Thargoids as you ran to the planet before a bunch of Spectres would jumpin to help you.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Beautiful. The wreck could also be what's left of the main station after the "Asteroid Storm" has happened.

And wasn't there some devastating thargoid ship that could also wipe the main station?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

How did I miss this one earlier? Wow, this is amazing KW. Good work! And of course, this leads to...

I made the burning parts glowy in this one.

Stand by, a couple more will be coming soon. This is just too good.
szaumix
Deadly
Deadly

Post by szaumix »

holy smokes :shock:
we're pushing new levels of gorgeous here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:25 am

I suppose that I should add in a screen shot of SimonB's Uber-Tharg (2011):

Cool 8) , I have one :roll: too...
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Honestly, you don’t actually need to script the story too much around something like this. It could be any of the suggestions. You don’t have to be explicit- do some environmental story telling. You want it to be Thargoids? Put a few dead tharglets nearby. Want it to be pirates? Put some cargo canisters, some metal fragments and maybe a derelict Python nearby. But when you turn up in system and see the aftermath - this so cool!