Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by Cholmondely »

Code: Select all

USER               PID  %CPU %MEM      VSZ    RSS   TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND

accountname      66834   0.3  8.3  5190444 697992   ??  S     8:47pm   0:40.16 .../Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite -load ...Documents/AltMap1.oolite-save
accountname      66964   0.0  0.0  4258888    196 s000  R+    8:49pm   0:00.00 grep 66834

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

More information (latest.log) for game which did not start with resume game loaded.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.90 (x86-64 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D2064) at 2023-07-18 19:47:10 +0000.
Machine type: MacBookAir9,1, 8192 MiB memory, 2 (4 logical) x x86 (family 0x38435547) @ 1100 MHz.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets, JavaScript console support, Debug plug-in support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

20:47:10.424 [oxp.message] +[ResourceManager checkOXPMessagesInPath:] (ResourceManager.m:576): /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/LitF+v0.06.oxz: Development version- not recommended for regular play-thru
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Possible text for OXP checking
Your saved game ran with a different set of OXPs:

These OXPs are currently missing from your resuming game

These OXPs have been added in to your resuming game

These OXPs conflict

These OXPs are needed by the OXPs you wish to load
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Oolite started up, but did not load the saved game

From the log:

2023-07-18 20:20:44,177 WARN o.s.Oolite [AWT-EventQueue-0] Skipping savegame /Users/accountname/Documents/Pre BlackBaron.oolite-save
2023-07-18 20:21:01,912 WARN o.s.Oolite [Thread-0] executing [/Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite, -load, /Users/accountname/Documents/Nikolaus I (Blackjack's Bullion).oolite-save] in /Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS
2023-07-18 20:21:02,043 WARN o.s.u.StartGamePanel [Thread-0] launched(oolite.starter.model.ProcessData@a747f0d)
So despite the fact you had the command

/Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite, -load, /Users/accountname/Documents/Nikolaus I (Blackjack's Bullion).oolite-save
running the savegame was not loaded. This is not according to the documentation at https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hidde ... parameters.

Both the Linux and the Windows version of Oolite respect that parameter and load the game. Is there any way to figure out why the AppleMac version should not use it?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am
...Encouraging choice (of oxp) without expecting the player to do so much work (research) or have such a bland first play before even considering looking at the plethora of oxp options.
Just thinking. Of all of us, you, Redspear, seem to be most motivated in terms of trying to make more Oolite playable.

Might there be a point in producing a meta-oxp to download your favoured OXPs for a newcomer who wants a more playable/enjoyable Ooniverse?

Then they would not need to (eg.) work out the differences between your 3 masslock solutions and could just settle for your preferred recipe!
Comments wanted:
Darkenedroom
Poor
Poor

Post by Darkenedroom »

Just upgraded from v0.1.16 to v0.1.17-zecchino.1, upgrade was flawless, so all good there!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 pm
Just thinking. Of all of us, you, Redspear, seem to be most motivated in terms of trying to make more Oolite playable.

Might there be a point in producing a meta-oxp to download your favoured OXPs for a newcomer who wants a more playable/enjoyable Ooniverse?

Then they would not need to (eg.) work out the differences between your 3 masslock solutions and could just settle for your preferred recipe!
...Maybe.

That quote was from me advocating something quite different but that doesn't devalue your question I don't think.

If I did then I think labelling it appropriately would be key to any utility it might have. e.g. 'Redspear's Starter Pack' is probably less useful than 'Redspear's GamePlay Tweaks', even if both would be 'recommended' (by me at least) to be used from the start.

Reading the wiki page that's been made re my stuff might be helpful, 'Just who is this idiot and what does he think he's doing?'.

I'd also need to tidy up a whole bunch of oxps first which is, conceptually at least, almost ready to be done.

I need to think about retiring some and possibly removing them from the manager. Masslock Reimagined works so much closer than Masslock Compensators to what I wanted for example but they both work. The latter was made when I didn't know how to make the former. Someone might prefer Masslock Compensators as it better fits their sensibilities. I suppose I'd only be removing it from the manager, not from the wiki...

Other oxps of mine either overlap or get in each others way, so there's that to fix as well. But... given enough updating time 🤞
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:03 am
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 pm

...Maybe.

That quote was from me advocating something quite different but that doesn't devalue your question I don't think.

If I did then I think labelling it appropriately would be key to any utility it might have. e.g. 'Redspear's Starter Pack' is probably less useful than 'Redspear's GamePlay Tweaks', even if both would be 'recommended' (by me at least) to be used from the start.

Reading the wiki page that's been made re my stuff might be helpful, 'Just who is this idiot and what does he think he's doing?'.

I'd also need to tidy up a whole bunch of oxps first which is, conceptually at least, almost ready to be done.

I need to think about retiring some and possibly removing them from the manager. Masslock Reimagined works so much closer than Masslock Compensators to what I wanted for example but they both work. The latter was made when I didn't know how to make the former. Someone might prefer Masslock Compensators as it better fits their sensibilities. I suppose I'd only be removing it from the manager, not from the wiki...

Other oxps of mine either overlap or get in each others way, so there's that to fix as well. But... given enough updating time 🤞
Might more clear labelling help?

"Redspear's playability enhancers"?

I think it is important to link your name to it, because it alerts people to an important facet of your work in Oolite (so that they know where to look for more such, in our jungle of 1100 oxps!).
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:24 am
I think it is important to link your name to it
Agreed but more for the fact that it's one person's solutions, nothing 'official'.

And yes, if this Redspear character's stuff is for them then where to find more or whose name to avoid like the plague.

To be clear: I've got a whole bunch of updates to do before I'd consider this further but as long as it's not parading as something it's not then... well, I'm warming to the idea.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

While I am trying to apply the in-game Expansion Manager's colors to the Expansions list in Oolite Starter,
I am bumping into a problem.

See the definition of colors used by the in-game Expansion Manager:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Expan ... st_colours

That somehow implies every expansion has one colour. But what should happen if several conditions apply?

What if something is incompatible but no longer available for download? (Gray vs Blue)
What if something is installed and current yet conflicting with something else? (White vs Brown)

Maybe we have to cover three states in parallel as well?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

What is the list of states, and what is the list of combinations that are possible? Probably more than is reasonable to color-code with individual colors ("this one is red, but this one is fuchsia, which means it also...").

Could you do something with "state lights" instead? Like a horizontal traffic light to the left of the expansion. Each light could reflect one type of state. For example:

- installation status (installed from manager = white, installed externally = yellow, not installed = red, unable to install aka broken download = black) [using white instead of green for color-blind users]
- version status (current = white, old = red)
- compatibility/conflict status (good = white, dependencies missing = yellow, conflicts with something = red, incompatible with Oolite version = black)

You could indicate whether an expansion is Enabled by putting the name in white, and Disabled by putting it in gray.

You could put the color code down below in a text panel at the bottom of the window.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

There are other options as well, that might take up less space.

You could have one state group be the color of the name text, another state group be the background color of the row, another state group be the style of the name text (e.g., plain, bold, italic, underline, all caps).

Edit:

All of this to say I don't think the Expansion Manager's color-coding solution is necessarily the best one. It's the one they had to go with due to limitations of the engine, I suspect. If there is a better, more subtle/explanatory/accurate way of achieving the same goal, I think it would be a good idea to discard the color code scheme that the game uses.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:13 pm
There are other options as well, that might take up less space.

You could have one state group be the color of the name text, another state group be the background color of the row, another state group be the style of the name text (e.g., plain, bold, italic, underline, all caps).

Edit:

All of this to say I don't think the Expansion Manager's color-coding solution is necessarily the best one. It's the one they had to go with due to limitations of the engine, I suspect. If there is a better, more subtle/explanatory/accurate way of achieving the same goal, I think it would be a good idea to discard the color code scheme that the game uses.
For now I tried to keep the color coding (someone asked for it) but to make it more visible what state an expansion is in I added colored tags to the detail view.

For the table view we can still discuss what/how should be displayed. I believe not all different states should be visualized. It should be more those that require attention, like missing dependencies or conflicts.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Just curious:

Who is using OoliteStarter? Does it work to expectation?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

It's working well for me!

I'm not a fan of the current color coding solution - most of the information is on an entry by entry basis and can't be seen at a macro level.

I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to try to retain the color coding that exists in the game. The whole point of the Oolite Starter (to my mind) is to make the less useful in-game version unnecessary. At which point what colors the in-game version uses become irrelevant.