Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by arquebus »

Update: ok it appears that the errors throw in reverse order, so when I double-backslash inactive, the next one up throws an error.

Double-backslashing everything works fine.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

As of 0.1.6 I'm noticing that the program doesn't read in all of my non-managed addons.

It's showing my Contextual Jukebox and the 5 Goods Container OXPs but it doesn't appear to see:

Factions-1.12.oxp
Furball-1.8.oxp
MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp
railgun.oxp
Oolite.oxp.cholmondely.Hints.0.092.oxz

And one further question: does the program know to correctly restore disabled non-managed addons to the non-managed addons folder?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:40 pm
Just downloaded the latest. When I clicked on the .dmg I got this:
"OoliteStarter" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

This item is on the disk image “OoliteStarter-1.0.dmg”. Waterfox downloaded this disk image today at 17:37 from github.com.

When I clicked on the ? icon I got this:
The app has been modified or damaged

The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless you override the security settings on your Mac. See Open an app by overriding security settings.

To learn how to protect your Mac from harmful software, see Protect your Mac from malware.

See also
Change Security & Privacy General preferences on Mac
Console gave me this under the "System Log" heading:
Jun 6 18:43:37 ....-MacBook-Air com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000002c.OoliteStarter[28313]): removing service since it exited with consistent failure - OS_REASON_EXEC | Gatekeeper policy blocked execution
I also tried launching it with the control key held down (needed to open alien programmes) with identical results.
That is unusable. A serious issue.
Yet it sounds to me as if something small is missing. Such as a digital signature. We will have to fiddle around together.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:11 am
As of 0.1.6 I'm noticing that the program doesn't read in all of my non-managed addons.

It's showing my Contextual Jukebox and the 5 Goods Container OXPs but it doesn't appear to see:

Factions-1.12.oxp
Furball-1.8.oxp
MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp
railgun.oxp
Oolite.oxp.cholmondely.Hints.0.092.oxz

And one further question: does the program know to correctly restore disabled non-managed addons to the non-managed addons folder?
Interesting. What is special about these OXPs?
So far I could only make out they are not on the Expansion Manager.

I'd like to have download URLs amd the logfile. Ha, the starter does not write any....
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:00 pm
Interesting. What is special about these OXPs?
So far I could only make out they are not on the Expansion Manager.
Yeah they are all exactly the versions found on the wiki; I didn't change anything. And the Contextual Jukebox is mine, and I barely know what I'm doing, so I'm surprised it shows up when the others don't.

For example I downloaded Furball from here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Furball_OXP
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:12 pm
Yeah they are all exactly the versions found on the wiki; I didn't change anything. And the Contextual Jukebox is mine, and I barely know what I'm doing, so I'm surprised it shows up when the others don't.

For example I downloaded Furball from here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Furball_OXP
I will check that when I can. It may take a week or two.
:-)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:12 pm

I will check that when I can. It may take a week or two.
:-)

The expansion handling roughly works like this. I think I know what you dislike...

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:31 am
The expansion handling roughly works like this. I think I know what you dislike...

If this really works, it is a massive improvement on the status quo! Well done, sir!

There is another twiddle, though.

I've just been working through the Tinkerer's Workshop - OXP tweaking for fun and profit! thread, adding the suggestions to the various oxp's.

Not all of the suggestions are for tweaking oxp's. Some are for tweaking the vanilla code, others for bunging a config folder inside the AddOns folder and adding a new file inside that.

To make your exhaust "fumes" less blinding (Redspear, 2017: Vanilla Code tweak - possibly now do-able by a config folder implant)

Tweaking your skies (Tricky, 2014: Planetinfo.plist config folder implant)

Cargo-hold fullness alert for scooping (Spara, 2014: script.js file config folder implant)

Variant of Spara's for changing default scanner to logarithmic and 1x-16x zoom (Neelix, 2014: script.js file config folder implant)

I've had two of these for a year or so, now (thanks, Cody!) which rename the Griff's and Staer's ice-asteroids to something compatible and sort out the naming mess for the Galactic Navy ships.

The first category (vanilla game code tweaks) are presumably not affected by the Hiranical "Oolite-tweaks" tweaking system (would this be a case of über-tweaking?). The second might be (presuming that the script.js files are named - my script.js names were recognised in the latest.log). Tricky's wasn't. And the .plists might also be impossible to manage. But I don't know how prevalent these implants are!

Cody :mrgreen: - how many scripts/.plists do you have in your AddOns Config folder?

And are there any other implant practitioners who care to confess to the details of their addiction? :twisted: Phkb?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Currently, six.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:31 am

I wonder if it would make sense to have two separate deactivated directories, one for managed and one for non-managed. I think it would be a good idea for the program to be able to keep track of which is which, and using separate directories may be simpler than tracking the source in a log.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:47 pm
I wonder if it would make sense to have two separate deactivated directories, one for managed and one for non-managed. I think it would be a good idea for the program to be able to keep track of which is which, and using separate directories may be simpler than tracking the source in a log.
It makes sense as it would be more intuitive not to push everything into ManagedAddOns over time. Also that is what users would expect.
I'll keep it in mind for the next version.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I don't know how difficult these sorts of things are so forgive me if they're complex or annoying requests... It would be nice if you could put the deactivated directory path in the config file and if the program doesn't find it, it creates the directory itself.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Having read the description of Oolite Starter on GitHub
Manages Oolite installations, expansions and savegames in one easy to use GUI.
It might be worth mentioning one of the differences between the Apple, Windows and Linux versions.

When I look at my Load Saved Games in Apple, I see this:

Notice that there is no information other than name & date unless I physically enter it in the save-game name.

Windows & Linux, on the other hand, give # of kills, system & ₢ balance, legal status and system details.

Will you be adding any of this collateral information to the Oolite Starter GUI for the saved games?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 pm
Will you be adding any of this collateral information to the Oolite Starter GUI for the saved games?
I thought this has happened already. Unless the savegames cannot be read by XML parsers.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:47 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 pm
I thought this has happened already. Unless the savegames cannot be read by XML parsers.
Sorry! I failed to open 0.1.6 - and when I tried again earlier with 0.1.3 I failed again! We dumb pilots.... :?
Comments wanted: