Using the ship's mediStim Bay

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Using the ship's mediStim Bay

Post by Cholmondely »

How could this be done in an immersive manner?

BeeTLe BeTHLeHeM included a mechanic for health and wounds in his Life in the Frontier.

While docked, one can off course nip into the "Medical Center" or the "Fit Center" (!) But there is equipment on-ship, too. How would one access it in an immersive fashion?

MFD's seem all wrong, as does making it a "primable equipment".

One possibility would be to have a mission screen flag up that one is feeling bad and allow clickable options of what one does to oneself in the mediStim Bay. But are there any better options available?

Reference:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Pilot%27s_Reference_Manual#mediStim_Bay wrote:
mediStim Bay

The mediStim system, provided by Synapse Biotech, provides emergency medical treatment for the commander and crew of a ship. The system can often be the difference between life and death for an injured crew member, and provides first aid and basic life-support until the patient can reach a fully equipped hospital ship or medical centre.

The system is normally stowed against a bulkhead, but will open out into a padded treatment table with standard medical supplies and a medical reference commPad. For lone pilots, a medical servitor droid can be purchased as an upgrade, and is capable of performing many forms of treatment depending on the AI package purchased with the unit.

Note : this question has yet to be answered in the posts beneath which involve herrings of colour red!

Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Using the ship's mediStim Bay

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:53 pm
BeeTLe BeTHLeHeM included a mechanic for health and wounds in his Life in the Frontier.

While docked, one can off course nip into the "Medical Center" or the "Fit Center" (!) But there is equipment on-ship, too. How would one access it in an immersive fashion?
Without being particularly familiar with the oxp in question...

Leaving the station assumes a degree of either health or desperation.
Are we imagining that a pilot could be injured in flight or is it more that they could be injured exploring, say, a rock hermit which might not have all of the available facilities?

Could it be that using your ship's facilities, rather than a stations, is sometimes the only way to receive medical aid safely when there are enemies around to disguise themselves as doctors or reprogram medical droids?

Maybe it's safer but less time efficient or... more time efficient (the doctor WILL see you now) but less capable/well supplied.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:51 pm

Without being particularly familiar with the oxp in question...

Leaving the station assumes a degree of either health or desperation.
Are we imagining that a pilot could be injured in flight or is it more that they could be injured exploring, say, a rock hermit which might not have all of the available facilities?

Could it be that using your ship's facilities, rather than a stations, is sometimes the only way to receive medical aid safely when there are enemies around to disguise themselves as doctors or reprogram medical droids?

Maybe it's safer but less time efficient or... more time efficient (the doctor WILL see you now) but less capable/well supplied.
So, at the moment, health-endangering occasions occur solely whilst waltzing around the orbital space station (see the line at the top of the graphic below). So, for example, yesterday I met two avians fighting each other - and tried talking them out of it. They then both ganged up on me and scragged me! I had wounds and kept getting messages about how bad I was feeling!

BeeTLe BeTHLeHeM was trying to introduce elements of role-play into Oolite which were not ship-based. He built a lot of facility into the code of Life in the Frontier but only part of it was ever really used (if I understand Massively Locked correctly).

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 pm
trying to introduce elements of role-play into Oolite which were not ship-based
But there is equipment on-ship, too. How would one access it in an immersive fashion?
Er... I think I'm following you :wink:

So you just need a strategic value to choosing one rather than the other (e.g. cost vs benefit) or a situation where one of the isn't available (more interesting/relevant when it's the prefered choice that is restricted).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:11 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 pm
trying to introduce elements of role-play into Oolite which were not ship-based
But there is equipment on-ship, too. How would one access it in an immersive fashion?
Er... I think I'm following you :wink:

So you just need a strategic value to choosing one rather than the other (e.g. cost vs benefit) or a situation where one of the isn't available (more interesting/relevant when it's the preferred choice that is restricted).
It's more simple. With LitF you can get hurt on the station, and you can heal it on the station. You just mooch about, take the lift to Concourse B and mooch into the Medical Center. You pays over your dosh and a doctor starts attaching the leeches and force-feeding you Theriaca andromachi (Venetian Treacle).

But there is no equivalent mechanic for using the mediStim bay on your very own ship. I'm just looking for a game mechanical way of allowing this which is as immersive as visiting the Health Center on the orbital station.

The idea of accessing an MFD on my HUD to use the medical bay seems all wrong to me (its not to do with flying the bally thing). And the idea of priming an equipment does too. What other options are there?

Oh - and Redspear, sneak a peek at LitF. I really think that it is one of the most fertile oxp's written for Oolite. It needs some work at the moment to make it less counter-immersive (the work that Massively Locked is doing), but its potential is totally transmogrificatory!

Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:18 pm
It's more simple...
Then I'm missing something as it sounds more complicated to me.

I'm not sure you're after mechanics as such but rather flavour text?

What other options are there?
Who says that your ship can't be a location on the map?

Once you're docked you could regard it as a different location - normal options only available when you head to the bridge (leave station).
What about the living quarters? Cargo bay? Engine room? Transporter room?
Perhaps the medi-thingy can be found in the living quarters and you can flavour-text your way around that?

If you're imagining it happening in flight however then it's more problematic as why would the solitary pilot wish to leave the bridge unless harmed in flight?

Oh - and Redspear, sneak a peek at LitF. I really think that it is one of the most fertile oxp's written for Oolite. It needs some work at the moment to make it less counter-immersive (the work that Massively Locked is doing), but its potential is totally transmogrificatory!
It's been a while so maybe I should.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 pm
It's more simple...
Then I'm missing something as it sounds more complicated to me.

I'm not sure you're after mechanics as such but rather flavour text?
No. I'm after an immersive method of accessing the MediStim bay on a ship. The flavour text will be the easy part.
What other options are there?
Who says that your ship can't be a location on the map?

Once you're docked you could regard it as a different location - normal options only available when you head to the bridge (leave station).
What about the living quarters? Cargo bay? Engine room? Transporter room?
Perhaps the medi-thingy can be found in the living quarters and you can flavour-text your way around that?

If you're imagining it happening in flight however then it's more problematic as why would the solitary pilot wish to leave the bridge unless harmed in flight?
Good point. Very good point. But also during flight. One needs to sleep, etc.

I will admit that I may have been conditioned by over-use of Strangers World with its massive solar systems and long in-system flights between one station and another. These are long, boring and mostly uneventful (Scriptable Pause comes in jolly useful). Hence bags of time to use the Medistim bay, grab a nap, fiddle with my armillary sphere, make Araminta a cocktail, read Cody's latest novella etc.
It's been a while so maybe I should.
Yes. Do! We can do with your fertile ideas for bookshops, churches and bars... and whatever else comes to mind...

Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:05 am
I will admit that I may have been conditioned by over-use of Strangers World with its massive solar systems and long in-system flights between one station and another. These are long, boring and mostly uneventful
I can't say that you're selling it to me.
It sounds like you've installed an oxp that you find boring.

Realism can be very attractive as a concept but for me it needs to be in the service of gameplay. Once it stops being so then I look elsewhere.
No disrespect to Stranger or to that oxp but my fix to that in the rescaling experiment was to increase torus speed. It's easy in the source code of course but then I think it could be done indirectly via oxp script (momentarily disengage torus (if necessary), increase player speed, re-engage torus... the problem would then be stopping but that might be similarly workable).

Of course, if it doesn't bother you (as I suspect it doesn't bother Stranger) then no fix is needed.

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:05 am
We can do with your fertile ideas
I begin to think I have too many ideas, possibly even for my own health.

Increasingly I try to focus on the easy 'solution' and the one that presents itself to me based on your description would be to find what Stranger's world adds that you like and to avoid/remove what you don't like. If it's a case of "I like realism but it sucks" then, well, I think you can see the problem...

The mini-game whilst in masslock/uneventful flight idea has come up before but, speaking personally, I've yet to find it appealing.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Would there be point in creating an F9 screen for role-playing? To be used by oxp's like the docked F4 screen for ship-station interfaces (in the same way that the 2 MFDs which come with the vanilla game are only used by oxp's)

It could be used for accessing the other parts of the ship:
- the MediStim Bay for healing needed on board due to Life in the Frontier accrued wounds
- resetting the Fast Activation Buttons,
- reading cim's Ship's Manual with the pictures attached!
- wandering around the ship and seeing that Orixon Behan (Long Way Round) is truly on-board
- putting the gold, gems and contracted parcels in the ship's safe!
- donning one's space suit inside the ship prior to taking food, water & medicine over to a refugee adder (using Knotty's Astronaut oxp)
- managing crew members on a large ship
- making an indecent brew in the canteen (Smiv's TeaPot)
- trying to fight off the invading hordes of Jellybabies/Trumbles!
- the various ideas of Disembodied re filling in time while flying -
1. Peruse the news
2. Bid for cargoes and contracts, in advance - perhaps with time-dependent elements, so there would be pressure/reward in reaching the station by a certain time
3. Communicate with nearby ships
4. Enable further interaction with other ships - side-to-side docking, perhaps, and inter-ship trading
5. Run system checks and perform onboard repairs and tune-ups
6. Run long-range scans, and try to discover information about what other ships and stations are out there, and where
7. Look back over the ship's log
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:18 pm
- managing crew members on a large ship
I do have something along those lines in the works (very early days) but it'd be not so much an interactive as an, well, I'm not sure I should say too much at this stage...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

How could this be done in an immersive manner?
What about using the SynPleasure Relaxapads? Could this be done in an immersive manner?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Cody wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:02 pm
What about using the SynPleasure Relaxapads? Could this be done in an immersive manner?
:lol:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

This might just depend on your computer hardware...
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:58 pm
This might just depend on your computer hardware...
Either way, I wouldn't try google-searching that at work...
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Redspear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:19 pm
Either way, I wouldn't try google-searching that at work...
"Immerse yourself with SynPleasure Relaxapads. Maybe it's NSFW, but it's definitely safe for your pleasure..."

Void where prohibited. Limit one per customer. Solar panels not included. Sold wherever unmentionables are sold.