Missionaries.OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Missionaries.OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

From viewtopic.php?p=279485#p279485 (edited for present context)

Lore-based: Religions

Church of the Cosmic Wanderer
no ideas yet
The church in Life in the Frontier - this could either be made something out of, or renamed to the CGC in that oxp

Church of the Holy Witchspace Guard
The Man of Mystery dog your steps!
The vortex swallow you up!
See Montana05's post on this - and if there are missionaries they should really go in his .oxp anyway...

Church of St Giles
“Noooo... I've been nobbled by the Knucklebones!”
“Damn you, you depraved Darwinist”
“I go to the Pool of Pellucid Placidity”
“Saint Phibo Nacci, hear my plea!”
“Take me to the Blessed Barque”
“I have been pushed off the Wheel of Destiny!”
“Take me to the High Waters”
“The waters engulf you!”
“Ebortsa curse you!”
“Ebortsa shatter your scanners!”

Happy Eye
Dude be damned!
The Eye sees everything - and will see you fry! Fry for ever!
The Eye is vengeful! Just wait and see!
Wait until until the laws of Karmadynamics are done with you! See what is left then!

Randomius Factoria
“Randomius Factoria rapture you to damnation!”
“Randomius Factoria curse your every choice”
“Randomius Factoria damn your every fate”

Saint Herod
no ideas yet - and any such should really go in Bank of the Black Monks

Witchspace Lobster
"Witchspace Lobster here I come",
"I die for the Lobster",
"I fear no lasers",
“Ten others will take my place",
“Curse you, you few-legged heretic”
“the Lobster hurl you into the unending miasma of malachite-green mists”
"By Grabthar's Hammer, I shall be avenged!" (a_c_'s)
"May you be boiled alive in the tears of your remorse!" (Cody's)

Zenarchy Monks
Your penance will extend to eternity
Oblivion greet you as a brother
May your destiny wither and choke you

Phkb's DeathComms contains the javascript for issuing dying broadcasts
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun May 01, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cody wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:36 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 pm
Any other ideas?
For it is written that missionaries fly Hognoses!
wiki page for the Hognose is now available: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hognose_(Oolite)
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:39 pm
Looking forward to elaborating with gems from the [EliteWiki] Church of Giles the Creator page. I figure they move about in a blessed barque..
But would that be the humble missionaries? Surely some sort of funeral hearse, for the upper echelons of the church to be taken across the Galaxy and then thrown into the sun at Lave (or some such).

And maybe they practice the medieval funeral habits, and different bits are entombed in different places? Richard the Lionheart was cut open at death, his heart taken out and buried at Rouen, his entrails at Châlus (where he died) and the rest of his body at Fontevraud Abbey. Others had their heart cut out and transported to x, their body boiled down and the flesh buried at y, and the skeleton taken to z. They also reused old tombs, the Roman porphyry tombs being very popular.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:52 am
wiki page for the Hognose is now available: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hognose_(Oolite)
So am I correct in presuming that Hognose is Griff's 2016 update for Missionaries.oxp where all the missionary ships are now identical Hognoses with differing decals?

I'd never realised this. I'd presumed that there were two Hognoses in a pack somewhere, one of which was the working tug and the other a Lobster missionary in a repurposed tug.

Thank you for making it clear.

But we now have two wiki pages: Hognose for Murgh's original Tugship (2006) and now Hognose (Oolite) for Griff's missionaries revamp (2016).

With a year's experience of editing the wiki, I can see the logic for each page name. But superficially, for somebody like Arquebus (who wants to play the game, not spend hours mastering wiki nomenclature), they will be totally confusing. And I am feeling more and more that the Arquebus route is the one we need to go down.

Would it be better if the pages were renamed Hognose (Tugship) and Hognose (Missionaries)?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:19 am
So am I correct in presuming that Hognose is Griff's 2016 update for Missionaries.oxp where all the missionary ships are now identical Hognoses with differing decals?

I'd never realised this. I'd presumed that there were two Hognoses in a pack somewhere, one of which was the working tug and the other a Lobster missionary in a repurposed tug.
I did miss it as well. However, now you have a source for functioning AI's and, since Griff is using decals on various of his ships, you can use the sect decals in combination with other vessels for some diversity. :wink:

But we now have two wiki pages: Hognose for Murgh's original Tugship (2006) and now Hognose (Oolite) for Griff's missionaries revamp (2016).

With a year's experience of editing the wiki, I can see the logic for each page name. But superficially, for somebody like Arquebus (who wants to play the game, not spend hours mastering wiki nomenclature), they will be totally confusing. And I am feeling more and more that the Arquebus route is the one we need to go down.

Would it be better if the pages were renamed Hognose (Tugship) and Hognose (Missionaries)?
I would agree, since both OXP's are actually variants of the Hognose a name change would make more sense.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

"Auummmm"
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

montana05 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:52 am
Thank you for making it clear.

montana05 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:22 am
I would agree, since both OXP's are actually variants of the Hognose a name change would make more sense.
My 2005 self takes the blame for using a cool, seemingly fitting, snake name for my ship that then I didn't know was long taken in ArcElite. I am sorry for the grief I have caused.

I've tried to make amends by moving the Tugger to Hognose Tugship (a parallel solution to the Moray sorting) and started the disambig page. For clarity I think Hognose (Oolite) should make section distinctions between the Hognose ship and the Missionary reboot OXP.
Cody wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:43 am
"Auummmm"
To which spiritual cult does this chant belong?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am
That's one variant of the Holy Joes from an early version of Griff's Hognose OXP. Plenty of lobster stuff, but alas not much Holy Joe stuff. It's one of my "must have" OXPs, and the Holy Joes could do with being expanded. They like playing interstellar leapfrog with me!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:04 am
Old Murgh wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:39 pm
Looking forward to elaborating with gems from the [EliteWiki] Church of Giles the Creator page. I figure they move about in a blessed barque..
But would that be the humble missionaries? Surely some sort of funeral hearse, for the upper echelons of the church to be taken across the Galaxy and then thrown into the sun at Lave (or some such).

And maybe they practice the medieval funeral habits, and different bits are entombed in different places? Richard the Lionheart was cut open at death, his heart taken out and buried at Rouen, his entrails at Châlus (where he died) and the rest of his body at Fontevraud Abbey. Others had their heart cut out and transported to x, their body boiled down and the flesh buried at y, and the skeleton taken to z. They also reused old tombs, the Roman porphyry tombs being very popular.
I think you're right, the Blessed Barque is only for processions of high clergy. The ascetic believers should be stuck primitive vessels.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

My 2005 self takes the blame for using a cool, seemingly fitting, snake name for my ship that then I didn't know was long taken in ArcElite. I am sorry for the grief I have caused.
No worries, nobody could know all the ships available here. :lol:
For clarity I think Hognose (Oolite) should make section distinctions between the Hognose ship and the Missionary reboot OXP.
I totally agree, that was my original intend until I realized that the Hogose OXP is the Missionary reboot OXP. I think I will make a quick new OXP with different decals and standard AI's, probably roles shuttle (?), miner and scavenger. This would be the real Mognose (Oolite) while the current one would become Mognose (Missionaries) as suggested by Cholmondely.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

"Auummmm"
You didn't know that Cody is the Netted Profit of the Witchspace Lobsters?
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

montana05 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 am
I totally agree, that was my original intend until I realized that the Hogose OXP is the Missionary reboot OXP. I think I will make a quick new OXP with different decals and standard AI's, probably roles shuttle (?), miner and scavenger. This would be the real Mognose (Oolite) while the current one would become Mognose (Missionaries) as suggested by Cholmondely.
Good plan.

Now, Mognose seems like a whole new direction. Sounds cool though.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:32 am
"Auummmm"
You didn't know that Cody is the Netted Profit of the Witchspace Lobsters?
Yes, I did actually know that, but it needed to go on the record.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Mognose? Are the felines taking over?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:32 am
montana05 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 am
Good plan.

Now, Mognose seems like a whole new direction. Sounds cool though.
Here we go: https://app.box.com/s/h7zufbuor8ngy9hukhzpamljre3rf79k. New decals, now busy as miners and scavengers with a small chance as a shuttle. Some small tweaks are still needed, and I guess I will only assign them to low tech systems. However, as soon as phkb changed the name of the Hognose OXP this package could be uploaded.