Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

:D ha that missionaries OXP sounds great, i'll have another go at this hognose oxp so it fits in with the original idea of a missionary ship.
As far as I know the only hail that you got in the arc elite was "REPENT, SINNER! REPENT!" which is a bit boring, so if Dr Nil doesn't mind i'll pinch the ones from his oxp, plus some of his custom decals for the various faiths (the scorpion and one-eye smiley etc)

edit: Sorted. Removed the player flyable version and updated the oxp to v1.2 - added the four missionary types, the AI's and the custom messages as seen in Dr Nil's 'Missionaries.oxp' :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

There's also Murgh's [wiki]Hognose[/wiki] Tugship, so there may be a potential naming confusion. I don't know whether the ship design was derived from the ArcElite Hognose as well.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Speaking of which, I guess it's not easily possible to put Griff's Hognose into the Anarchies OXP, or is it? As far as I understood it, the Hognose, tugline and tugged ship belong to one model...
Not that I don't like Murgh's Hognose, but since my Ooniverse is already filled with Griff's ships, it'd just fit in better.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
edit: Sorted. Removed the player flyable version and updated the oxp to v1.2 - added the four missionary types, the AI's and the custom messages
Griff... I have a little gripe: in future, please make a new post instead of editing, as above.
I missed this update because I'd already read the original post, and an edit does not attract attention.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cody wrote:
Griff wrote:
edit: Sorted. Removed the player flyable version and updated the oxp to v1.2 - added the four missionary types, the AI's and the custom messages
Griff... I have a little gripe: in future, please make a new post instead of editing, as above.
I missed this update because I'd already read the original post, and an edit does not attract attention.
:D heh, yes of course, sorry about - but i am getting better - at least i put version numbers in the filenames now! :lol:

What should i do about naming this hognose? - should i set it to 'ArcElite Hognose' - or 'Missionary Hognose' or something to avoid confusion with the hognose tugboat - oh and while i'm there is there a custom role i should add so the ship can be called up by Anarchies.oxp?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Griff wrote:
What should i do about naming this hognose? - should i set it to 'ArcElite Hognose' - or 'Missionary Hognose' or something to avoid confusion with the hognose tugboat - oh and while i'm there is there a custom role i should add so the ship can be called up by Anarchies.oxp?
I think the name should be "Hognose" or "Hognose Mark II" or "Hognose GE" or "Hognose ME" or something like that.

Anarchies uses a specially textured hognose model that has the tug-line and tugged ship defined as subentity. If called from the Anarchies, it would be through like_ship. To minimize dependencies, it would probably be wisest to include the model to the Anarchies. Or as a quick and safe (as not touching anything big like Anarchies) solution, I could include it in my Anarchies facelift.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

spara wrote:
Or as a quick and safe (as not touching anything big like Anarchies) solution, I could include it in my Anarchies facelift.
Probably the best solution. Exchanging it for the model included in Anarchies would only work if the model has the exact same dimensions. Otherwise the subentities would attach at wrong positions.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Cody wrote:
Griff wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree. Multiple posts on the same subject are akin to spamming and make it more difficult to keep up with a topic since it's spread across several similarly-titled topics. Keeping it all in one topic is easier to maintain and read.

Simple rule: if a topic has new posts, read it. That's why it comes to the top of the list!

:)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Selezen wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree. Multiple posts on the same subject are akin to spamming and make it more difficult to keep up with a topic since it's spread across several similarly-titled topics. Keeping it all in one topic is easier to maintain and read.

Simple rule: if a topic has new posts, read it. That's why it comes to the top of the list!
Que? With what do you disagree?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mis-understanding alert!
I think Initially Griff just edited the first post of the thread to announce the update. This does not show as a 'new post' so without re-reading the first post this could be missed. Cody suggested making a new post on the same thread for update announcements which do show up as new posts, which is a good idea.
I suspect Selezen was concerned that the suggestion was to start a whole new thread, not just add an 'update' post to the existing thread. This would be a bad idea for the reasons stated - it spreads the information un-necessarily and is confusing.
I hope I've got this right - apologies if I have mis-represented anybody.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Yep, that's what I meant.

Wasn't aware that an update to the OP had been made, but was stating that an update to an old thread when a notification is appropriate for that thread's topic is preferable to starting a new thread.

Um.

Sorry.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've added a 'clean' texture version to the griff_CobraIII_alternate_model oxp over at my box.net site and changed some of the textures slightly on the original 'grimy' version
that's the NPC version in the screenshot, the player versions are 'Multidecal' :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
I've added a 'clean' texture version to the griff_CobraIII_alternate_model oxp over at my box.net site and changed some of the textures slightly on the original 'grimy' version [snip] the player versions are 'Multidecal'
Cool... and very cool! Mercurial Amethyst gets a new hull-job!
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Oh no!!! Not now that I just bought a Mussurana!!! :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hi Griff... these popped-up in the log with the updated alt Cobra III:

Code: Select all

21:03:12.870 [setup.ship.badEntry.subentities]: Failed to set up entity griff_normalmapped_alt_cobra_mkIII_NPC_front_gun_Beam_clean
21:03:12.871 [setup.ship.badEntry.subentities]: Failed to set up entity griff_normalmapped_alt_cobra_mkIII_NPC_aft_gun_Pulse_clean
Also, the laser beam originates a little in front of the actual canon again (though it appears unaffected by speed) - is it set-up for the long cannon, perhaps?
I don't think any of that is my fault, as all I've tinkered with is the multidecal_PLAYER_scuffed.fragment and the paint job in the scuffed variant section.