Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:40 pm
Throttle: for Speed (shock! horror!). Paddle/Rudder on back is for Yaw.
R2 and L2 on back are defensive. R2 for ECM. L2 for Retro Rockets (usually barrel roll governor. If the Teamaker could make a decent brew of Lapsang Souchong, I'd go for that instead...).
I did it and had quite a great time. The right hand stick is a dream. The precision, control to move just right and not oversteer is an amazing sensation. I made the yaw work with the stick twist function which makes it all even smoother and crazy precise.

The one disappointment was that my Mac was blind to the left hand throttle and the two keys in the "L3" position. No reaction from those in the joystick config. Maybe your super thunderbolt is necessary after all? I'll try to read up on it tomorrow. For now i allocated W&S to up/down on the miniscule right thumb joystick, which also added to the coolness of cruising.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 am
The one disappointment was that my Mac was blind to the left hand throttle and the two keys in the "L3" position. No reaction from those in the joystick config. Maybe your super thunderbolt is necessary after all? I'll try to read up on it tomorrow. For now i allocated W&S to up/down on the miniscule right thumb joystick, which also added to the coolness of cruising.
Did you see this: Joysticks: Guide to Setting Up? There is a section on how to plug your TM4 into your AppleMac so that the option button lights up as green. When it is red, your throttle and rudder are disabled.

If that is not it, I fear that you may have been sold a lemon.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:17 pm
[Did you see this: Joysticks: Guide to Setting Up? There is a section on how to plug your TM4 into your AppleMac so that the option button lights up as green. When it is red, your throttle and rudder are disabled.

I fear that too, since I read the above, did the secret button ritual and got a green lamp, but as I described, just half the fun.

I hate being sold lemons.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:17 pm
[Did you see this: Joysticks: Guide to Setting Up? There is a section on how to plug your TM4 into your AppleMac so that the PS button lights up as green. When it is red, your throttle and rudder are disabled.

I fear that too, since I read the above, did the secret button ritual and got a green lamp, but as I described, just half the fun.

I hate being sold lemons.
I'm really sorry.

So with mine, I have to keep the secret button ritual enacted until the HOTAS is plugged in, the PS button then comes up green and stays green. and everything then works. Otherwise I lose the throttle, rudder and twist on the joystick. If I then press the PS button again, it toggles between red & green.

You wrote that the joystick twist works. Does the rudder on the back of your throttle work?

So I have a piece of software called Enjoyable which supposedly tells me which bits of the HOTAS are working and which are not. Despite the green light being on - and everything working just fine in Oolite, it is telling me that the rudder is non-functional. When I press the PS button and it turns red, all of a sudden, the rudder starts working for Enjoyable.

I wonder if that might help with your glorious contraption. No reason that it should, but desperation and all that...

Umm: just tried toggling PS red and green with Oolite. Peculiar things happen when I try to configure some of the controls on the joystick configuration pages. I wonder if this may be a partial solution...

What a pain...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 am
The one disappointment was that my Mac was blind to the left hand throttle and the two keys in the "L3" position. No reaction from those in the joystick config.
Is that within Oolite, or in general?

Oolite seems to have trouble with throttles. It's not device specific or, apparently, even OS specific. It just doesn't like throttles. Not all of them...just some of them.

I had to put the the W/S throttle keys on my joystick hat.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:00 am
So with mine, I have to keep the secret button ritual enacted until the HOTAS is plugged in, the PS button then comes up green and stays green. and everything then works. Otherwise I lose the throttle, rudder and twist on the joystick. If I then press the PS button again, it toggles between red & green.
I will certainly try that. I haven't given up all hope. I just wanted to start playing some.
You wrote that the joystick twist works. Does the rudder on the back of your throttle work?
No. That's what I refer to as L3, just due to its similarity to the playstation button
So I have a piece of software called Enjoyable which supposedly tells me which bits of the HOTAS are working and which are not. Despite the green light being on - and everything working just fine in Oolite, it is telling me that the rudder is non-functional. When I press the PS button and it turns red, all of a sudden, the rudder starts working for Enjoyable.

I wonder if that might help with your glorious contraption. No reason that it should, but desperation and all that...
I will certainly try that too.
arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:27 am
Is that within Oolite, or in general?

Oolite seems to have trouble with throttles. It's not device specific or, apparently, even OS specific. It just doesn't like throttles. Not all of them...just some of them.

I had to put the the W/S throttle keys on my joystick hat.
I've only had Oo to try with. I'll see what abovementioned Enjoyable tells me.

The joystick hat is what I ended up using too I think.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

I used to be here, then I wasn’t, then I was, and then I wasn’t.

Well I’m back to play Oolite again, because I didnt take my Commodore 64 to university (no telly) and by the time I got a computer again it was for all the other things , and anyway it was a macintosh and there was no elite so no way to scratch the itch.

Well that and the absurdity of 7 cadaver hearses in cities skylines finally frying my mind.

So I thank you in advance because after a few flights and a gander at the OXPs, I have some questions.

Greetings
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phonebook wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm
I used to be here, then I wasn’t, then I was, and then I wasn’t.

Well I’m back to play Oolite again, because I didnt take my Commodore 64 to university (no telly) and by the time I got a computer again it was for all the other things , and anyway it was a macintosh and there was no elite so no way to scratch the itch.

Well that and the absurdity of 7 cadaver hearses in cities skylines finally frying my mind.

So I thank you in advance because after a few flights and a gander at the OXPs, I have some questions.

Greetings
Welcome back!

7 cadaver hearses?

And still on a mighty mac?
Comments wanted:
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm

Welcome back!

7 cadaver hearses?

And still on a mighty mac?
Yep, when the citizens die - always at home- a communal hearse picks them up seven at a time. You know like during the Black Death.

And yes, a few macs now, and a pc too. This new Oolite interest is because meself and my godson have been building it.

Funny isn’t it- in the old days having young people around was an excuse to play trains(which the kids could never afford) now its building a gaming pc- which because of crypto currency mining- the kids can never afford.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

phonebook wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm
Well I’m back to play Oolite again...
Welcome back :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phonebook wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:46 pm
Yep, when the citizens die - always at home- a communal hearse picks them up seven at a time. You know like during the Black Death.
Wow! Where is that?
Comments wanted:
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:46 pm
phonebook wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:46 pm
Wow! Where is that?
In a game called cities skylines!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

This other new game sounds grim in the unfunny way. Welcome back to Oolite.
BooDog
Poor
Poor

Post by BooDog »

G'day Commanders.

Commander BooDog here; returning to the fold after decades. Bought and played through to Elite on my Apple //e in the mid '80s when I should have been studying for my Computer Science degree. Thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Wheel and was amused it was written by Robert Holdstock, being already familiar with his other works, although to me it didn't quite gel with the game as played on the Apple.A bit later played a bit of Frontier on my first PC clone, but never really came to grips with combat under the Newtonian physics model. I then got married, etc., and life and work intervened for decades - no more playing games, or flying control-line model planes for that matter.

About a year ago I was searching around for a decent Apple II emulator for my Linux box (Ubuntu 20.04). Nothing really suitable turned up, mainly problems with emulating the //e open-Apple/closed-Apple keys, until I found the very fine Windows based AppleWin that runs beautifully under Wine. That led to playing Apple II Elite once more (pirate edition "Cracked by the Student'). Got through to about Dangerous again, then decided that wireframe graphics wasn't doing it for me any more and *surely* there must be a modern Elite-like game out there.

A couple Google searches later, here I am. One false start (argh, can't control this thing) and installed the BBC keyboard map. Once I had s, x, <, > back where they should be I was in the groove and now am back to Competent and on my way. Currently doing much exploring of OXPs and OXZs, reading a bit of the fiction, Drew's books in particular, and slowly tailoring this beautiful example of the coding arts to present me with MY personal Ooniverse.

regards,
Commander BooDog

P.S. Had an oddity registering here. My principle email (gmail) address was rejected out-of-hand by the board with message "The email address you entered is not allowed to be used.". Alternate worked, so all good.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!