The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution

Post by Cholmondely »

Apple Mac issues (reference)
stranger wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:41 pm
Well. DarkRay OXZ for example.
Unzipping (extracting) this folder will create new folder DarkRay (usual folder without any extensions).
It contains three files and one folder:

info.plist
manifest.plist
readme.txt
Textures

Go into DarkRay folder and select all these items, not DarkRay folder per se!
Right click onto these 4 items will show contextual menu with option Archive 4 items. Select this option.

Now you have new element in DarkRay folder:

Archive.zip
info.plist
manifest.plist
readme.txt
Textures

Relocate this new created Archive.zip onto Desktop and change name from Archive.zip to DarkRay.oxz

That's all. It is ready to upload.
Stranger's technique is right on the button!
Right click is also achieved by holding down the control key and clicking again - once the items you wish to zip have been highlighted (shift-click to select more than the one).

To find the real name (hidden) of the page in the back-end of the wiki where your .oxz is stored, download the .oxz from that page to your AppleMac (either from that wiki page itself, or from the http://www.oolite.org/oxps/ page if you have already begun sorting out the manifest there. When your oxz is downloaded, click it and press Command-i and you will see the info page:

The lower .alioth address is the url link needed for successful downloading.

Don't forget to change the version number in the Manage Expansion Packs manifest page when you change it in your .oxz, or civilisation will crumble to its doom!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:48 pm
Stranger's technique is right on the button!
Not mine, original Diziet Sma's guide contains description of this techique. I'm just wrote an example how to use it in OS X. :D
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Database mis-matches WAS Re: The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution

Post by RockDoctor »

I'm just updating the system on my laptop after the HDD failed and ...
At least one OXP appears on an "installed" system as a piece of "Equipment" ('Station Self-Destruct Codes', but I suspect it's not limited to that), but appears in the (freshly downloaded, from "oolite.space") OXP list under "Weapons".
Is this a glitch in the database, a quirk of the management system I'd not noticed previously or ... I'm pretty sure I updated both systems from 'oolite.space' before starting the rebuild process.
Actually, I know I updated both systems - one is completely virgin, while the previously-built "Ooniverse" is showing up some "blue - your OXP is an old version" lines.

So - database glitch, or is to possible to have an OXP display in one class while pending download, but a different class after installation? Which ... seems a bit odd.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Database mis-matches WAS Re: The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution

Post by hiran »

RockDoctor wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:44 pm
I'm just updating the system on my laptop after the HDD failed and ...
At least one OXP appears on an "installed" system as a piece of "Equipment" ('Station Self-Destruct Codes', but I suspect it's not limited to that), but appears in the (freshly downloaded, from "oolite.space") OXP list under "Weapons".
Is this a glitch in the database, a quirk of the management system I'd not noticed previously or ... I'm pretty sure I updated both systems from 'oolite.space' before starting the rebuild process.
Actually, I know I updated both systems - one is completely virgin, while the previously-built "Ooniverse" is showing up some "blue - your OXP is an old version" lines.

So - database glitch, or is to possible to have an OXP display in one class while pending download, but a different class after installation? Which ... seems a bit odd.
A likely reason can be that the data located in the OXP's manifest.plist is not in sync with the expansion manager's manifest.
Did I mention the OoliteAddonScanner? In it's index files such discrepancies are marked up as warnings. We just never tried to do something about them.
Here you find the currently latest index files: https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... x-20230603
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

such discrepancies are marked up as warnings. We just never tried to do something about them.
Somewhere between the "To Do" and "Done, test" lists then. I'll looks at your Addon Scanner when I've got the game back to my (approx) stable state.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

RockDoctor wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:43 pm
such discrepancies are marked up as warnings. We just never tried to do something about them.
Somewhere between the "To Do" and "Done, test" lists then. I'll looks at your Addon Scanner when I've got the game back to my (approx) stable state.
You are welcome.

I configured Github to run the scan whenever I change something on the scanner, plus at least once a month. The index files have the timestamp of generation, and so does the download package. You will not get confused comparing too many similar looking pages

BTW, do you use version control? That can help tremendously when you know it worked once before and are unsure what you changed meanwhile.
Since I encountered that problem and saw the value I barely do anything without VCS...
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

hiran wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:03 pm
BTW, do you use version control? That can help tremendously when you know it worked once before and are unsure what you changed meanwhile.
I know of version control. I spent over 20 years working for a mainly software company, trying to get them to implement some sort of version control in what they sent out to paying clients without success (applications, and the data we collected for them ; and occasionally the data we had dispatched to them, and they then lost).
I looked at the idea of implementing various schemes (Subversion ; RCS ; GitHub when it came along) for my own personal life, but I managed without it myself. And I saw there was no reason to learn one particular system because, guaranteed, work would then adopt a different one, and my next client a third one. You've probably got similar war stories.
Reporting a bug one decade, and getting it addressed the following decade was normal. Getting it actually fixed another 5 years later, also normal.
Anyway, that's dead history. They decided they made more money just selling software, without sending experts out to run it in the field and train client staff. 2/3 of the company laid off. Situation normal.
For me, it's the old familiar story - I know version control would probably be a good thing, but it's not clear which system is best, and it's not clear that the pay-off would be enough to be worth the effort. Same with OOP - nice in theory, but I have so little use for it that the second time I need it I've forgotten the last time. Ditto for 'C' when that was available.

Anyway, other things going on at the moment.
--
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Seems you know and took an educated decision.
Fair enough. :-)