Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

v1.90: laser sounds and combat difficulty

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

v1.90: laser sounds and combat difficulty

Post by Bogatyr »

Hello commanders, my once-every-couple-years Oolite itch has arisen on a totally free weekend so I'm trying out the latest. I noticed a few things: 1) I do not like the default v1.90 laser sounds, how can I go back to the earlier ones?

2) Combat seems much more difficult. Even with a military laser, the small ships like geckos and mambas seem to take forever to destroy. I seem to recall that on earlier versions, only about two seconds of sustained military laser strikes would take out the smaller ships, now it seems much, much longer , has something changed? I've never installed any difficult enemy or enemy shield OXPs. What could I look at to see if I do have some old OXP hanging around that could affect this?

Edit: maybe I'm just rusty. Combat has been getting easier/faster as my skills return....
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: v1.90: laser sounds and combat difficulty

Post by hiran »

Bogatyr wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 am
Combat seems much more difficult. Even with a military laser, the small ships like geckos and mambas seem to take forever to destroy. I seem to recall that on earlier versions, only about two seconds of sustained military laser strikes would take out the smaller ships, now it seems much, much longer , has something changed? I've never installed any difficult enemy or enemy shield OXPs. What could I look at to see if I do have some old OXP hanging around that could affect this?
I do not hold an Elite record, so I cannot tell how it was in the base game.
But I also see it quite frustrating that I can place only one quick shot, then the other ship maneuvers out of my focus and I can hardly get it back. This way it takes me forever to hit the target at all, not to talk about seeing progress in damage or destruction.

Unless I display the logfile and see decreasing shield values for the enemy ship I'd say my actions are without any impact.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

2) Combat seems much more difficult. Even with a military laser, the small ships like geckos and mambas seem to take forever to destroy. I seem to recall that on earlier versions, only about two seconds of sustained military laser strikes would take out the smaller ships, now it seems much, much longer , has something changed? I've never installed any difficult enemy or enemy shield OXPs. What could I look at to see if I do have some old OXP hanging around that could affect this?

Edit: maybe I'm just rusty. Combat has been getting easier/faster as my skills return....
It depends on which version of Oolite you played before, there was an update of the AI's, making them considerable smarter and stronger.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I do not like the default v1.90 laser sounds, how can I go back to the earlier ones?
Try this OXP I put together quickly: RestoreDefaultLaserSounds.oxz
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:40 pm

It depends on which version of Oolite you played before, there was an update of the AI's, making them considerable smarter and stronger.
After some more time in the cockpit, I find that enemies are dying "sufficiently quickly" when using military lasers. So that doesn't seem to have changed...
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

phkb wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 am
I do not like the default v1.90 laser sounds, how can I go back to the earlier ones?
Try this OXP I put together quickly: RestoreDefaultLaserSounds.oxz
Thanks! I'll try this out....