Decals and Nose art.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Decals and Nose art.

Post by another_commander »

Many moons ago, Frame did a Ship Registration ID OXP, which was using shaders for applying decal IDs on ships. It's still here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7579 and here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/RegistrationID

However, this was done using the pre-1.80 ship set, so it probably won't work with the newer versions. It could still give an idea of how something like custom decals could be done, though.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Well. It is possible to change Griff's decals on the fly via script... 8)

Could not get the spinning ship in the station interface to change decal though. It's probably handled some how differently.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

And if some one is interested in exploring this further, this is the script I used:

Code: Select all

this._changeDecal = function() {
  var shader = player.ship.getShaders();
  shader.Hull.textures[3] = "spara_decal.png";
  player.ship.setShaders(shader);
}
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

So jealous of all you script writers and coders. lol
All I can contribute is art.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

spara wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm
And if some one is interested in exploring this further, this is the script I used:

}
I'm just starting to experiment with Griff's models (my memory is that my laptop can't handle them, but I've got Griff's Cobra3 installed, and the spinning startup model seems to be working); but I'm getting them through the Expansions Manager, which installs them into the software directory, which I need to start fiddling with root access to modify.

How much more than this script would be required to make a quickie OXP, in the ~/.Oolite/Addons directory, where I can toss my preferred image into?
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

DataPacRat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:08 pm

}
I'm just starting to experiment with Griff's models (my memory is that my laptop can't handle them, but I've got Griff's Cobra3 installed, and the spinning startup model seems to be working); but I'm getting them through the Expansions Manager, which installs them into the software directory, which I need to start fiddling with root access to modify.

How much more than this script would be required to make a quickie OXP, in the ~/.Oolite/Addons directory, where I can toss my preferred image into?
Here's my quick test-oxp. Uncompress to AddOns, start the Debug console and Oolite, start a game with Griff's normal mapped Cobra, launch and execute worldScripts["change_decal"]._changeDecal(); in the console.

https://app.box.com/s/rmhvgrsvdvarh6snupitda5eer6utdva
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

You can always make an OXP out of an OXZ by:
1. move the OXZ away from the ManagedAddOns folder
2. Expand (extract, unzip) the OXZ in an corresponding named folder with the extension oxp under ~/.Oolite/AddOns (e.g. MyMod.oxz will be dumped in ~/.Oolite/AddOns/MyMod.oxp)
3. Tweak the content under the oxp folder
These steps must be taken without having Oolite started.
Various tweaks at 3. might require you to restart Oolite with Shift key pressed, to regenerate the cache file, and enjoy (YMMV ;) ) the changes.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

spara wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

}

Here's my quick test-oxp. Uncompress to AddOns, start the Debug console and Oolite, start a game with Griff's normal mapped Cobra, launch and execute worldScripts["change_decal"]._changeDecal(); in the console.

Welp, looks like I've got more fiddling to do to get it to work:

Exception: TypeError: shader.Hull is undefined
    Active script: oolite-debug-console 1.86
    script.js, line 6:
      log("test", shader.Hull.textures);
(For the moment, I think I'll just spend some time downloading all the rest of the Griff retextures while reading some fiction.)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Yep, Griff's normalmapped ships are required. At least Cobra III, I suppose.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

No decals on Griff's Moray though - that has amazing squid-like hull effects instead. Get up-close to one and annoy it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The thing that does not work with this method, are mission screens that show player ship as well as the spinning ship on status screen. In theory by jumping tricky hoops, one might be able to catch mission screens that show player ship and manipulate that, but I have no idea how to script the spinning ship on status screen.

In short, this method would need some core changes to catch those manifestations of the player ship.

As far as I can seen, the only all around solution currently would be defining as many different player ships as there are decals and instead of changing the decal, one changes the ship. That would be overkill for such a small feature though.

If only there was a way to access some missionvariable or worldscript from a shader...
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

DataPacRat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:36 pm
spara wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Welp, looks like I've got more fiddling to do to get it to work:

Exception: TypeError: shader.Hull is undefined
    Active script: oolite-debug-console 1.86
    script.js, line 6:
      log("test", shader.Hull.textures);
(For the moment, I think I'll just spend some time downloading all the rest of the Griff retextures while reading some fiction.)
And I've now got the full set of Griff's textures, have gotten a Cobra 3 with one of the gs resprays, launched, ran worldScripts["change_decal"]._changeDecal(); in the debug console... and got the exact same error message in the debug console.

For all I know, it might be a video-hardware thing; I'm running on a Thinkpad T410 with a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M, if that means anything to anyone here.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
Cody

Post by Cody »

There's a line in the Latest.log that'll tell you whether shaders are supported.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

Cody wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm
There's a line in the Latest.log that'll tell you whether shaders are supported.
Do you mean 02:07:27.329 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.? (Via.)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

After installing Griff's normalmapped ships, does the spinning Cobra at the welcome screen have a decal? The one with the comic style skull.