Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Additional Planets SR.oxp

Post by phkb »

Super! Thanks Redspear!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

New version (0.8) is up.

Phkb has kindly updated the oxp to be configurable via the Library. He has also added options to control the distances of planets and moons. Enjoy.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

Just wondering why, when using planet.name in a script with Additional Planets SR Redux installed, I'm not getting the renamed planet (ie. 'Lerelace I", 'Lerelace II', 'Lerelace III', 'Lerelace IV' etc), but the system-name only (ie. 'Leralace'). The only difference that shows is when in range of the main station, where 'Prime' is added to the planet.name property.

Is there some other planet or system property I should be using to retrieve the planet's/moon's fully renamed name?
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Reval wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:27 pm
Just wondering why, when using planet.name in a script with Additional Planets SR Redux installed, I'm not getting the renamed planet (ie. 'Lerelace I", 'Lerelace II', 'Lerelace III', 'Lerelace IV' etc), but the system-name only (ie. 'Leralace'). The only difference that shows is when in range of the main station, where 'Prime' is added to the planet.name property.

Is there some other planet or system property I should be using to retrieve the planet's/moon's fully renamed name?
I found a month ago that the planet names were swapping over vis-a-vis their respective orbital stations (you know: "Waspline Coriolis", etc) between saves. A bit like LittleBear's government health warning on his Station Names .oxp.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

That's odd - I haven't encountered that one. Just the fact that the OXP's renaming doesn't seem to transfer over to planet.name in JS. If the HUD's ASC can access the new names OK, it must be using a property that is not documented in the JS Wiki (at least, one that I haven't been able to unearth)...
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

I also tried system.info.planet_name (the only other option suggested in the JS Wiki under Planet) and it returns 'undefined'.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

Apologies for posting these observations under the wrong topic: the OXP responsible for renaming the additional planets is of course Planetary Compass along with its associated name-packs -

Adds planets, suns and moons to the ASC, and gives names to them. Requires at least one name-pack to be installed...

If it matters, perhaps another_commander would be kind enough to append these last posts to HERE?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_gas_giants_1.1

The manifest.plist does not work on the AppleMac, preventing this .oxp from loading into the game.

There needs to be a final semicolon after "tags" = ("additional planets") as shown below!

Code: Select all

{
	"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.spara.additional_planets_sr_demux_gas_giants";
	"required_oolite_version" = "1.79";
	"title" = "Additional Planets SR Demux Gas Giants Pack";
	"version" = "1.1";
	"category" = "Ambience";
	"description" = "Texture pack for Additional Planets SR containing gas giant textures from System Demux by DrBeeb.";
	"author" = "Redspear, spara and collaborators";
	"information_url" = "https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15683";
	"license" = "CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0";
	"requires_oxps" = (
		{
			"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.spara.additional_planets_sr_base";
		}
	);
	"tags" = ("additional planets"); //... added ';' for the AppleMac!
}
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Thanks for the report.

I was hoping to be able to upload a simple oxp today, so if I get the time then I'll fix this as well.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

As well as the point just above, I've some queries about this massively edited post:
Redspear wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:02 pm
The Downloads:
System Redux 1.1 (12.2 MB) 16 planet textures and 8 moons
On the Expansions Manager as it appears here.

System Demux Originals (56.7 MB) 128 mostly low res textures, some now cube mapped.
The version on the Expansions Manager is 16.5MB and the current description says that it is just the Demux Gas Giant textures.

Free Bitmaps 1.2 (242.2 MB) 36 high-res textures used for both planets and moons
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/abizmiiztmg648r1irf6
You said further above that this was the original of the dusty, rocky & icy "free bitmaps" packs. Do they still also work as moons?

Others Gas Giants 1.1 (19.5 MB) 6 cube-mapped gas giants
ImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/nvyokba0dy62neor62ck
Were these taken from the massive oxp above?

Others Planets 1.1 (13.4 MB) 10 planet textures
Pictures coming soon...
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/34k7sy880mm1p2pxwl4k
What happened to this?

Others Moons 1.1 (9.5 MB) 10 moon textures
Pictures coming soon...
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/rzm9yqxh56b09mkc6tza
What happened to this?

System Demux Mini-Packs

Because System Demux contains so many textures and is perhaps in a more 'fantastical' style than some of the other packs, users might wish to pick and chose which planets they want to use from it. Whilst this can be done by downloading the whole set and simply deleting the ones you don't want to appear, I thought it might be preferable for them to be available as 'mini-packs', grouping textures of similar style together.

For example, you might find that the earthlike worlds to be strangely lacking in detail and so look odd next to system redux planets; however you might wish to use the demux gas giants to complement redux's lack of them. In some cases the boundaries between one set and another may be blurred but I'll post some sample pics to illustrate.

Total of 9 Mini-Packs to come.

Currently available:

Demux Gas Giants 1.1 (16.6MB) 13 textures, now cube-mapped
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/6ra1a0dtb75f2pali76m

Demux Earthlike (with added clouds) (56.9MB) 20 textures, slightly altered from the originals
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/2or9pwqg5uov7x6byqgg

Demux Alien (with added clouds and colouring effects) (54.5MB) 17 textures, in some cases heavily altered from the originals
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/knt3l6g6dktlxu17avcb

Demux Ocean Worlds (with added clouds and effects) (26.1MB) 8 textures only, all modified from the originals
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/q4zg1k9q66luyf4m76cj

Demux Volcanic (with added effects) (7.6MB) 10 textures, nearly all modified from the originals
ImageImageImageImage
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/w5uivx7wr0n6tvdo8nm9

NEW: Demux Cratered (1.2MB) 9 planet textures
Pictures coming soon
:arrow: https://app.box.com/s/15joxsq84gp29z5yyc6z
What happened to this?

And were there going to be another 3 packs?
I'm guessing that quality issues might have prevented the various missing packs appearing on the Expansions Manager. Or maybe just that there is already so much on there...
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Addendum!

Is this correct (split up by origin):

*Additional Planets SR Base ''the game mechanism to operate the texture packs below'' 7Kb

*Additional Planets Redux Pack ''the old system redux textures, featuring clouds & moons: textures to match each planet's F7 description'' 12.2Mb
(the original was 15.5Mb and had 128 main planets, 32 additional planets, 32 moons and was presumably extremely low resolution - below 0.1Mb each)

*Additional Planets Demux Pack ''the old system demux textures, 32 planets & 32 moons'' - these are low resolution 16.5Mb (0.25Mb each)
*Additional Planets SR Demux Volcanic Pack ''10 textures'' 7.6Mb
*Additional Planets SR: Earthlike ''20 textures'' 56.9Mb (actually from System Demux pack)
*Additional Planets SR: Alien Worlds ''17 textures'' 54.5Mb (actually from System Demux pack)
*Additional Planets SR: Ocean Worlds ''8 textures'' 26.1Mb (actually from System Demux pack)

*Additional Planets SR: Others Gas Giants pack ''6 textures'' 19.5Mb

*Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps dusty ''14 textures'' 87.5Mb
*Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps icy ''9 textures'' 67.4Mb
*Additional Planets SR: free bitmaps rocky ''12 textures'' 81.8Mb

The original Free Bitmaps 1.2 (242.2 MB) 36 high-res textures used for both planets and moons has been split into the 3 free bitmaps oxps which now weigh in at 236Mb and contain 35 textures.

Am I correct in presuming that the packs divide as follows:

Low resolution (c. 0.1 - 0.2Mb/texture) - the original packs:
Additional Planets Redux Pack
Additional Planets Demux Pack

Middle resolution (c. 0.7 - 3Mb/texture) - mostly your improved versions of the Demux originals:
Demux Volcanic Pack
Earthlike
Alien Worlds
Ocean Worlds
Others Gas Giants

High resolution (c. 6 - 8Mb/texture) - Free Bitmaps
Dusty
Icy
Rocky
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

And!

The Demux pack won't download to my AppleMac through the in-game Expansions Manager!

Sorry to chuck all of this at you at once! I was just trying to make sense of the wiki page on all this (which really gives very little information)!
Comments wanted: