Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

Post by Anonymissimus »

Why wait for a free wormwhole ? As long as there are no injectors, no fuel left is just as good as a full tank. Just jump immediately. If something bad happens (thargoids :roll: ), restart. This is "rerolling" then, not cheating.
EDIT
Ah forgot, broke Adder starts without fuel. IIRC I made the very first money with killing some pirate and then bought alloys at a dredger. They cost less than 1 cr and can be sold for almost 40, pretty good profit for 2 TC cargo space.
You can also sell the pulse laser for fuel. Injectors are much more important than the weapon.
Last edited by Anonymissimus on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
Do missiles that explode nearby do only partial damage?
I believe closing speed influences missile damage.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Well after slogging at it all day I finally got a traction with #6. Not ironman, I died about 3 times, 2 from missiles before I got injectors, and one collision at the end of an otherwise winning fight. I can see doing a Cobra MkIII ironman, but an adder? Whew that's rough.

Boy making those runs back and forth between the rock hermits and the station without injectors is....slow. Felt like taking out those stupid worms that kept interfering with my torus drive!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
I can see doing a Cobra MkIII ironman, but an adder? Whew that's rough.
Aye - even in an iron-assed Cobra, running in Ironman mode can be harsh. I do occasional courier runs that way!
When I was playing ED, I flew my Cobra in self-imposed Ironman mode - adds a certain edge to everything!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
Do missiles that explode nearby do only partial damage?
I believe closing speed influences missile damage.
Yes, it is important: if a missile hit you then you should show your back on full throttle to reduce the speed difference which reduce the damage.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

I am actually flying a commander (now deadly, iron ass, 1kk cr etc) who started as broke adder who died a single time in total only. It was from an apparent bug, instantly after the jump there was BOOM press space, as if materialized inside the witchpoint buoy. I think it only works with an appropriate set of OXPs though. Iron hide is probably a real life safer for an Adder pilot, in case of a missile hit from behind at least. The first time it saved my ass happened right after I finally had bought the next ship though - do not ever get careless, no matter what you're flying.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Anonymissimus wrote:
I am actually flying a commander (now deadly, iron ass, 1kk cr etc) who started as broke adder who died a single time in total only. It was from an apparent bug, instantly after the jump there was BOOM press space, as if materialized inside the witchpoint buoy. I think it only works with an appropriate set of OXPs though. Iron hide is probably a real life safer for an Adder pilot, in case of a missile hit from behind at least. The first time it saved my ass happened right after I finally had bought the next ship though - do not ever get careless, no matter what you're flying.
Argh, now I feel like I must start over! I think a pure ironman mode may be the way to go to preserve fun. For one thing, it gives significant meaning to the escape capsule. I have traditionally tired of the game once I build up a massive set of equipment too quickly. The fast credit path is ultimately not that interesting in the long run. The challenge of the long build up, where you skimp and scrape and save for that next highly-anticipated addition to your ship, is where most of the fun is I think. Oh the pleasure of being able to afford your first set of injectors!
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Bogatyr wrote:
I think a pure ironman mode may be the way to go to preserve fun.
Hmm, that's all well and good, until your junkyard starting python gets ambushed in *Ensoreus* by a massive pirate gang. Where are the vipers when you need them? If you can't trust a corporate state system, who can you trust? :)
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Bogatyr wrote:
For one thing, it gives significant meaning to the escape capsule.
Escape capsules are useless. Death happens only if I haven't seen it coming - Collisions, missiles and sometimes unidentified events. "Player taking xxxxxx energy damage from thargoid outpost, BOOM press space". Some kind of super-laser cannon ? Lots of full energy banks and shields wouldn't have helped...
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
For one thing, it gives significant meaning to the escape capsule.
Escape capsules are useless. Death happens only if I haven't seen it coming - Collisions, missiles and sometimes unidentified events. "Player taking xxxxxx energy damage from thargoid outpost, BOOM press space". Some kind of super-laser cannon ? Lots of full energy banks and shields wouldn't have helped...
I wouldn't quite say that. There are circumstances that you can't escape from any other way. It happens even with the best of planning: you're ambushed by a military-laser and injectors-bearing large swarm of pirates. Injectors get damaged (a real death-knell that one), you hyperspace away and they follow you. Etc., etc. With damaged injectors you can't drop a Q-bomb. So I understand what you say, but it's a lot more fun to try to stay alive no matter what.

I just flew 100m to a station in my Adder fleeing and dodging the entire way into Aegis space. With a damaged ECM and no fuel for injectors, it's suicide in an Adder to try to take them out because of the missiles. It took like 10-15 minutes to make it. (I have to say, the Adder is quite an impressive ship!). That sort of urgency doesn't come if you go "oh well, I'll just re-start with the previous planet's state if I don't make it."
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Well, I basically never get damaged, because getting damaged could mean injectors damaged, which is almost synonym for dead. If shields are almost down, and I cannot regenerate them by continuously dodging heavily, I have to flee while I still can. A Q-bomb is also a good option in that situation, with thargoids in particular.
If I'm too low on fuel already so I want to avoid using any of it, I go into this "get to the aegis on cruising speed while dodging continuously" mode while still undamaged.

Pirates with military lasers and following through wormwholes ? Which OXP is that ? I have only seen non-core pirates or non-core pirate ships with military lasers.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Well, I basically never get damaged, because getting damaged could mean injectors damaged, which is almost synonym for dead. If shields are almost down, and I cannot regenerate them by continuously dodging heavily, I have to flee while I still can. A Q-bomb is also a good option in that situation, with thargoids in particular.
If I'm too low on fuel already so I want to avoid using any of it, I go into this "get to the aegis on cruising speed while dodging continuously" mode while still undamaged.

Pirates with military lasers and following through wormwholes ? Which OXP is that ? I have only seen non-core pirates or non-core pirate ships with military lasers.
Beats me, I have a bunch installed :). Sure seemed like military lasers at least. And they did follow me, even with a comment like "there he is!", or at least it was wild coincedence.

What do you fly? The Adder seems to be able to dodge most incoming laser fire, but I've never been able to do that with a Cobra MkIII: with a large enough pack of pirates, they'll wear down your shields pretty quickly.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Combat MFD displays the current target's weapon type if you have been hit once by it at least. A beam laser sure can appear like a military one, if flown by a precise pilot, hitting you mercilessly with every shot (A human would always miss some shots, NPCs don't.).

Military Manta Ray most of the time. Warning: The Aquatics OXP makes the game a lot harder if you're not flying one of these yourself! It has the same size as an Adder.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Combat MFD displays the current target's weapon type if you have been hit once by it at least. A beam laser sure can appear like a military one, if flown by a precise pilot, hitting you mercilessly with every shot (A human would always miss some shots, NPCs don't.).

Military Manta Ray most of the time. Warning: The Aquatics OXP makes the game a lot harder if you're not flying one of these yourself! It has the same size as an Adder.
Wow, that's a teeny tiny, fast, maneuverable, strong, well-equipped ship! No wonder you can dodge all day long. All for only 150K, and with 10TC capacity with the extended bay. It seems actually like the ultimate bounty-hunter or pirate ship, perhaps a bit on the unbalanced side, except you have to fight others like it.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Other than myself, only the police is flying the military version.
Yes, but the Aquatics OXP creates Shark and Barracuda pirates and assassins. These are even much more zippy-zappy you keep missing me injecting away and I'm out of range than the usual Ferdie and Asp II assassins. You can sometimes watch battles between hunters and Shark pirates lasting forever as they just don't manage to hit them frequently enough, despite numerical and fire power advantage.