Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

Post by mossfoot »

Aside from the obvious (ie do NOT get in a fight while flying an adder... 1 energy bank? eep!) there is the matter of it being so ungoddamnbelievably SLOOOOOOOW. Wow. By the time I can afford witchfuel injectors to speed things up I'll be an old man.

But one question: How is anyone supposed to even get started with Harder (no money Adder start). With no fuel you can't even leave the system to even do a courier job for initial money, and there is no Black Monk to get a loan from around Lave (that I could find).
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

Post by Smivs »

Ha, nobody said it was supposed to be easy! Seriously, the broke ironman start is the start of a looong haul.
You can trawl around the home system for the odd cargo pod or two, rinse and repeat endlessly.
Go bounty hunting. No, seriously, even an Adder with a pulse laser stands half a chance against the weaker bandits out there, or you could be cheaky and find a combat situation, wait till the offender is almost dead and swoop in to claim the kill. NB The other combatant may not approve of you hijacking their kill :wink:
If you want to go for inter-system trade (is it worth it with 2TC?) assuming you've got that far (or found some cargo), hitch a lift through sombody elses wormhole.
So, the options are limitless and you'll be rich before you know it. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You gotta have scoops to grab stray cargo pods, and they cost money (assuming they ain't fitted by the OXP, that is).
You get a small bounty for every asteroid you frag though - this can soon become enough to buy a tank-full of fuel.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Cody wrote:
You gotta have scoops to grab stray cargo pods, and they cost money (assuming they ain't fitted by the OXP, that is).
You get a small bounty for every asteroid you frag though - this can soon become enough to buy a tank-full of fuel.
Really? I didn't see a bounty when I fragged some asteroids... hmmm.

As for inter-system trade. It's not worth it for 2CT, but remember gold, platinum, and gemstones! (Also it seems you can expand the cargo bay on an Adder, though by how much I don't know. I'm assuming very little ;) )

But honestly there isn't much of a difference between starting with 100 credits and 10. There's a certain J curve of productivity when it comes to cargo between the right systems, so once I had enough for a tank of fuel and some food, it wouldn't take long to move up to liquor and then computers ;) (especially with the convenience stores around... someone should really fix the price lists on those)
--

The Griffin GT
Above Average
Above Average

Post by The Griffin GT »

If you have scoops and the wildships.oxp, I quite often find free cargo containers floating around the kiota manufacturing stations, if that helps.
Whether its due to police which are usually around the area or pilot error I'm not sure :) No guarantees though!
Transfer of data is complete.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

mossfoot wrote:
to speed things up
If you decided to build up yourself in an Adder then I think you can enable the usage of Time Acceleration at least until you can buy an Injector. You can set max. 16x TAF in the non-deployment builds (test 1.77.1 or nightly 1.79): press p for pause, shift+F for TAF display and right-left arrow keys to change.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Nice option, thanks :) But I see myself abusing the heck out of that if I use it ;)
--

Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods> TAF is a dev/test tool anyway - it ain't meant for ordinary game-play.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I'm doing well enough now. Got the fuel injector and extra cargo space, just need to find a milk run that's close enough for me to exploit it and speed things up more ;)

Honestly, while I love the idea of space convenience stores from Your Ad Here!, I do think the prices there are a bit broken. Granted you can't get MUCH from them at those prices, but it certainly has provided me the cash boost I needed. I figure this is just the Wall-mart and Amazons of the universe trying to kill the mom-and-pop stations with their low-low prices ;)

Still don't want to fight a pirate in this hunk of junk, like, EVER.

Question: when you have the option to sell equipment installed, is the price listed the cost it takes to remove the item and you get full value for it after that (ie 400cr - 10cr = 390cr) or are you only getting 10 credits back? ;) And if you resell a ship, does the resale price you see include all your options being sold as well?
--

The Griffin GT
Above Average
Above Average

Post by The Griffin GT »

When you sell equipment you get more than the 10 credits back, maybe just over half the cost of the original price, not sure as I've never worked it out :) As for the ship, the more equipment you sell, the less your ship is worth, it's not worth selling the equipment separately then selling the ship, I tried that once :) Also it's worth waiting until you have had a maintenance overhaul before you sell your ship. And best to get a maintenance overhaul at the highest TL system you can as they can repair more complex equipment (if you have any) :)
Hope that helps

Edited to add: As far as your though on the con stores trying to put the competition out of business, thats exactly how I thought of it aswell :lol:
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I figured out the maintenance overhaul bit, but the higher tech system makes a lot of sense, thanks :)

So from a cash point value you're going to make more selling it whole with all components than selling the parts and then selling the basic ship. Got it. Selling parts is for emergency cash only ;)
--

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Ghah. Got the fuel injectors just in time. On almost the very next jump I encountered the flying dutchman and about five pirates showed up trying to blast me to pieces! With me in an Adder. With a Pulse Laser.

--

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
Honestly, while I love the idea of space convenience stores from Your Ad Here!, I do think the prices there are a bit broken. Granted you can't get MUCH from them at those prices, but it certainly has provided me the cash boost I needed. I figure this is just the Wall-mart and Amazons of the universe trying to kill the mom-and-pop stations with their low-low prices ;)
:mrgreen:

Well, as the Wiki says on the subject (my emphasis):
Thus the Convenience Stores were born: franchise stations, based near the Witchpoint, offering goods and services to passing ships. Exempt from Co-op trade regulations, the Convenience Stores set about making money from every possible source. They are encrusted with advertising, and even the stations' defence craft – cheap ex-Navy Sidewinders – are plastered with logos and corporate sponsorship. Most controversially, controlled commodities – slaves, narcotics and firearms – are offered freely, and legally, for sale.

Within a Convenience Store, commerce moves at a rapid pace, and prices of even the most basic goods can fluctuate wildly. Some merchants, for commercial or ideological reasons, have abandoned the main system stations altogether; but cannier Commanders, balancing the reliable price index of the Co-operative against speculative capitalist bubble-blowing, can often exploit the feverish atmosphere of a Convenience Store to obtain impressive profits on relatively small quantities of goods.
mossfoot wrote:
Still don't want to fight a pirate in this hunk of junk, like, EVER.
Heh heh.. As Cody would be the first to tell you, an Iron-assed Adder is actually a sweet little combat ship, particularly for close-quarters dogfighting.. (the only worthwhile kind of combat, IMO) . :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I've actually flown Adder more than Cobra3 and it's a fine ship for dogfighting once you've got it geared up. It's very agile and it's small size makes is a hard target. I remember flying without injectors from witchspace buyo to the main station while being chased by a pirate. Made it through alive just by dodging.
The Griffin GT
Above Average
Above Average

Post by The Griffin GT »

@ mossfoot maybe you should name your ship "Sir Robin" :lol:

I've always loved the idea of using the Adder as a proper combat ship but I think I lack the required skill, even when I take my Caddy Omega out for a spin I sometimes get my aft handed to me :oops: