Help with a strange Ghost Bug (not the usual one)!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Help with a strange Ghost Bug (not the usual one)!

Post by LittleBear »

I'm working on an OXP with Ramon & Heritic, which features some very big but killable ships. EG:-

The ship is big and uses a lot of sub-entries for its turrents and other bits of it. (bridge, shield generators and 4 turrets).

The ship works well in playtesting, but a stange effect keeps happening when the ship is killed. Although it dies and blows up most impressivley, a ghost of the ship is left in space.

Oolite knows the ship is dead (it death_actions trigger). It stops fireing and just spins about venting plasma. The ship is really a ghost as you can fly through it without harm.

This is very odd. But perhaps it has somthing to do with the number of sub-entries.

Can anybody think why this should happen?

At the moment the sub-entries all have energy values. Do they need this to work? Would they still work if I set them to zero? Could this be causing the bug?

Would giving the main and the sub-entries the death-actions become explosion help?

It is very odd as Oolite knows the ship its dead but leaves it's image there.
Any thoughts?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

This is the second instance I've seen of a large ship or carrier/station leaving a ghost when destroyed.

Which narrows down the search for this bug somewhat.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If it helps, this ship is not a carrier (it dosen't need defence ships with 4 turrets, 2 military lasers, 2 thargoid lasers and 12 Hard Head Missiles!), but it is carrier size.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

and <key>frangible is set to true if this makes any difference, and all the subentities use NullAI.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Should have mentioned that. But I think it is somthing to do with size, as the same problem happend when I made the Military Station destroyable to test the DeathBurger Script.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In that case, try scaling the model down and see what happens. :-)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I don't want to make it small though!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

No, but it would test your hypothesis. (I suspect that the problem would remain, but if it didn’t, that would be valuable debugging information.)