Player Superfreighters?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Takahashi_Yuuki
Average
Average

Re: Player Superfreighters?

Post by Takahashi_Yuuki »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Takahashi_Yuuki wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I've cobbled together a player flyable Behemoth.. can give you a download link if you like
Would be helpful, the external views are a big issue for me as I've no idea how to get them to work.
You have a PM.
Thanks, unfortunately it seems I haven't a clue how the view system works. :(
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Takahashi_Yuuki wrote:
You mean how to access the external views, or how to set them up the way you want?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Takahashi_Yuuki
Average
Average

Post by Takahashi_Yuuki »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Takahashi_Yuuki wrote:
You mean how to access the external views, or how to set them up the way you want?

How to access them, I can see what I assume to be the internal views, but I can't seem to identify the external views.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Takahashi_Yuuki wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Takahashi_Yuuki wrote:

How to access them, I can see what I assume to be the internal views, but I can't seem to identify the external views.
External views are accessed by the 'V' key on a normal setup. I /think/ there's a default set of external views that apply if the ship oxp doesn't define its own for that type. Because the view is locked to the ship, if it's not aligned/set up properly it can just look like a blank view of the surroundings with no ship visible, either because the camera is set too close and is inside the model, or pointing at a weird angle (an external view doesn't /have/ to even show your own ship, I have mine set as a series of 'zoom lenses' that magnify distant objects for a better look).
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Layne wrote:
I /think/ there's a default set of external views that apply if the ship oxp doesn't define its own for that type.
Yes, and all playable ships should have its own external views to match to the size of the ship and avoid viewing from too close or too far.

(An idea to core devs: if the pageup-down keys can contol zoom in external views then we will have less problem with this.)

You can look into the views of core ships in /oolite.app/Resources/Config/shipdata.plist, like this:

Code: Select all

"oolite_template_cobra3" = 
	{
		custom_views =
		(
			{
				view_description = "Rear View";
				view_orientation = "1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0";
				view_position = "0.0 30.0 -200.0";
				weapon_facing = "FORWARD";
			},
Feel free to modify or insert new custom_views.

Another way is to define a view in script which is used by [wiki]Camera Drones[/wiki] and [wiki]Tracker Cam[/wiki].