Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adder. And now?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Adder. And now?

Post by ralph_hh »

Smivs wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
...try to tear some innocent lonesome traders apart.
Ahem! Speaking as an innocent, lonesome trader.......... :(
If I shall ever stumble across your ship, you will not suffer too long :-)

Well... it's a difficult decision. On the one hand it's just a game, just bits and bytes, you don't harm anyone. On the other hand, the game is only fun, if you imagine it to be somewhat real, so well, in the end you still have to decide if you are REALLY bad or not. In real life I'm against death penalty, and strictly speaking, shooting down a fugitive who has probably done nothing worse than taking drugs out of a station, is murder too. So, if if am playing the really peacefull guy, the game would be a bit boring soon. After all, the percentage of friendly traders I let go is about 50%. Pirates: 0%
Jack_Sterling
Average
Average

Post by Jack_Sterling »

Well now, old chap, I try to play the game with a straight bat as well. As you say, that 'Fugitive' could be a decent type who just got a bit careless, and possibly doesn't deserve to die. There are planty of rogues out there, and if like me you only fight back when you are attacked first, you will still get plenty of combat experience, and your reputation will grow, but your conscience will remain clear.
Scramble! Bandits at 10 O'Clock. Tally-Ho!
Read Jack's story here
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Concience? What is concience? Must have left this in the little bag that I forgot on that planet in Galaxy1, when I rushed out to avoid someone noticing I packed my ship with drugs and slaves because I was young and needed the money really badly. :twisted:

I confess that I have also attacked my fellow neigbours in Anno1503 just because I wanted that tobacco Island. I'm really really bad. :(
(Since then I prefere to play with hostile opponents who attack me first, my.. what was the word again?.. concience... feels better then).

Some random hits missions by the way are based on killing some innocent guy who obviously just annoyed someone more powerfull, more rich.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

On occasion I have killed fellow traders for mass-locking me... usually don't even have room in the hold for their stuff, which I won't attack them for anyway. How does that rate on the conscience scale?

Since taking up Oolite again (1.80 is GREAT, btw), Realistic Stars made sun-skimming a little too time consuming, so that leads to Fuel Stations, and now I'm far less stingy with the witchfuel and I no longer attack the innocent, I just jet out of, or through, mass-locks now.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Obsidian wrote:
I have killed fellow traders for mass-locking me... How does that rate on the conscience scale?
If you are sure that the target has an escape pod (for example [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki] award it to all NPCs) then you are only a pirate and not a murder.

[wiki]VariableMasslock[/wiki] can help to reduce your tendency of firing traders.
Obsidian wrote:
Realistic Stars made sun-skimming a little too time consuming
[wiki]TorusToSun[/wiki] and [wiki]TimeControl[/wiki] are your friends. ;)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Norby wrote:
Obsidian wrote:
I have killed fellow traders for mass-locking me... How does that rate on the conscience scale?
If you are sure that the target has an escape pod (for example [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki] award it to all NPCs) then you are only a pirate and not a murder.
Not always murder you mean...if they were carrying slaves or passenger berths, it is not automatic that they survive the ship's destruction. Even the escape pod can be destroyed if it's too close to the ship when the ship blows up.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Norby wrote:
I contend I'm not a pirate if I'm not after their stuff. On the rare occasions I had an empty hold I was just cleaning up litter like any good Galactic citizen. :mrgreen:
Norby wrote:
[wiki]VariableMasslock[/wiki] can help to reduce your tendency of firing traders.
As I said, that's all mostly all(yeah, all, that's it) in the past. I do use [wiki]VariableMasslock[/wiki] (thank you, btw) as every little bit helps, but it's my more liberal use of the witchfuel that's saving lives in my Ooniverse.
Norby wrote:
[wiki]TorusToSun[/wiki] and [wiki]TimeControl[/wiki] are your friends. ;)
I was prepared to add those OXPs if the ones I mentioned hadn't succeeded in mitigating my impatience... and really, if traders' mass-locks were bothering me, you can imagine how much I loved sun-skimming. :lol: It helps that I don't have to visit those distant rock hermits when more than enough are generated closer to the WP-planet cooridor.
Switeck wrote:
Not always murder you mean...if they were carrying slaves or passenger berths, it is not automatic that they survive the ship's destruction. Even the escape pod can be destroyed if it's too close to the ship when the ship blows up.
I hate it when I see extra credits go up in smoke; almost as bad as chasing down an escaping bounty-pod only to have the GalCop patrol blow it up and friendly-fire you to boot.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

fuel scoops and better laser a must have then injectors and ore proccessor.
Maybe the scoop and proccessor first to get the cash for the laser and injectors.
Obsidian wrote:
On occasion I have killed fellow traders for mass-locking me...
I've reduced traders to glowing debri for less!
How dare they appear on my radar! Without my permission! The sheer cheek of them!
As for escape capsuals.. good target practice. :twisted:
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I chased down and fragged four bandits last night for calling me a trader - the cheek of it!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!