Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adder. And now?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Tassidor
Poor
Poor

Adder. And now?

Post by Tassidor »

Hello,

after doing a few dozen computer/fur runs on my "regular start" Cobra Commander I tried the alternative "Broke Adder" start.

Now I reduced the "broke" to the "regular" adder by hitching a ride to Leesti, shooting a few asteroids and then running minerals and liquor in-system between a hermit and the main station.

I now have the Adder and 200Cr.

But how to proceed from there? The adder has 2 (possibly 5) tons of cargo space. With that, even the most perfect computer/furs full cycle nets you less than 400 Cr, often way less.

Even with the few OCP/Z ships I have added, any kind of serious upgrade (the Copperhead looks good as an inexpensive next step, Core Ships-only it probably would be a Cobra Mk1) needs about 60,000 Credits. How in earth am I supposed to do that without dying of old age or boredom first?

Am I really expected to now do 300-500 jumps on a good trading route just to upgrade to something half as good as the Cobra?

Are there alternatives to trade that are open to me (Newbie, clean, harmless) that offer substantially more return? What did I miss here?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Adder. And now?

Post by spara »

Tassidor wrote:
Hello,

after doing a few dozen computer/fur runs on my "regular start" Cobra Commander I tried the alternative "Broke Adder" start.

Now I reduced the "broke" to the "regular" adder by hitching a ride to Leesti, shooting a few asteroids and then running minerals and liquor in-system between a hermit and the main station.

I now have the Adder and 200Cr.

But how to proceed from there? The adder has 2 (possibly 5) tons of cargo space. With that, even the most perfect computer/furs full cycle nets you less than 400 Cr, often way less.

Even with the few OCP/Z ships I have added, any kind of serious upgrade (the Copperhead looks good as an inexpensive next step, Core Ships-only it probably would be a Cobra Mk1) needs about 60,000 Credits. How in earth am I supposed to do that without dying of old age or boredom first?

Am I really expected to now do 300-500 jumps on a good trading route just to upgrade to something half as good as the Cobra?

Are there alternatives to trade that are open to me (Newbie, clean, harmless) that offer substantially more return? What did I miss here?
From core options try parcel delivering and do some passenger contracting on the side. You need a cargo bay extension and a passenger berth for that. From expansions, Ore Processor gives you an option to mine valuables from asteroids. When you have bought fuel injectors and upgraded you laser, you can also try some bounty hunting.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

spara wrote:
When you have bought fuel injectors and upgraded you laser, you can also try some bounty hunting.
With a Mil laser the Adder is a sweet fighter, its small size makes it very hard to hit and it's very manoeuvrable. I recommend the extra energy unit & shield booster as well.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Tassidor
Poor
Poor

Post by Tassidor »

Re: parcel delivering?

I checked all the boards.

Nearly all jobs are grey/unavailable. Only once I saw a job available top me. It paid 45 credits and needed 4 jumps or more. At that rate it doesn't even pay for the fuel.

Re: Mil laser

Mil Laser + Extra energy + fuel scoop + docking comp + ...
extra cargo space + injectors + ...

That would be another 20.000 or so I need to earn first with 2 tons of cargo space. And I'm not even mentioning the 15k for shield booster.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Tassidor wrote:
Re: parcel delivering?

I checked all the boards.

Nearly all jobs are grey/unavailable. Only once I saw a job available top me. It paid 45 credits and needed 4 jumps or more. At that rate it doesn't even pay for the fuel.
The first jobs are to build your reputation, then better paying jobs will be offered, it takes a bit of time, but with parcels you can carry as many as you want so they all add up. A long delivery across the galaxy will generally pay well, and with many deliveries picked up on the way is profitable. A word to the wise, think about what you are being asked to transport (especially in the beginning), as some can generate a bit of heat (just ask Cody :lol: )
Tassidor wrote:
Re: Mil laser

Mil Laser + Extra energy + fuel scoop + docking comp + ...
extra cargo space + injectors + ...

That would be another 20.000 or so I need to earn first with 2 tons of cargo space. And I'm not even mentioning the 15k for shield booster.
Injectors, Fuel scoop, Large cargo bay should be your first buys. ECM is a two edged sword, I think it's better to avoid missiles by injecting away.

The adder start is slow, but once you get into it I think it's very enjoyable. Don't worry to much about getting better ships, just enjoy the now, would be my advice. Have fun :D
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Just trading gold, platinum, & gems from the rock hermits can be fairly profitable in short order. Ore processor can make things happen a bit faster
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I tried the broke Adder and loved it. I fitted a passenger berth and ran a Taxi service for a long time. I still have the save file and it has every piece of equipment available.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

With Injectors and Fuel scoop you can patrol in main lanes and look after lasers flashes as a guide for free cargo pods and escape pods. Usually there are bad guys there so scoop as fast as you can and run if your alert level is red.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

A sweet little ship, is the Adder - and effective! As for parcel contracts: as mentioned, once your rep is established, they can pay rather well.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Tassidor
Poor
Poor

Post by Tassidor »

Cody wrote:
A sweet little ship, is the Adder - and effective! As for parcel contracts: as mentioned, once your rep is established, they can pay rather well.
Hmm. Rep established = some number of kills?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Tassidor wrote:
Cody wrote:
Hmm. Rep established = some number of kills?
Some - not all - parcel deliveries expect the person taking them on to have some combat rating, and most clients all else equal will be willing to trust that a Competent pilot will arrive safely at the other end more than a Harmless pilot, but your reputation for successfully delivering parcels is generally more important and quite a bit easier to raise.

Without any reputation as a parcel courier, you'll get the people who have no money and are desperate for any chance that their parcel might get to the destination on time. Once you've delivered three or four successfully (in reasonably quick succession) you'll start getting more options and - slowly - better pay. Until then you'll have to subsidise your fuel bills some other way.

A fuel scoop is a relatively cheap piece of equipment and excellent investment, by the way - not only will it cut your fuel bills to zero if you learn to sunskim, but if you get lucky with the cargo you scoop up ... well, a single pod full of platinum or gems generally pays back most of the price of the scoop in one go.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Buy a fuel scoop and a beam laser then try to tear some innocent lonesome traders apart. They will drop more than you can carry.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ralph_hh wrote:
...try to tear some innocent lonesome traders apart.
Ahem! Speaking as an innocent, lonesome trader.......... :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

ralph_hh wrote:
Buy a fuel scoop and a beam laser then try to tear some innocent lonesome traders apart. They will drop more than you can carry.
This is a moral decision also and without Injectors there is a risk to trap yourself if the trader turn against you. So the first 600cr for Injectors imho and if you decide to spend another thousand for a beam laser and avoid robbery then seek after battles, keep your laser's heat down until an offender ship seems to be weak (flashing exthaust plumes) and finish it for bounty. [wiki]Scanner_Targeting_Enhancement[/wiki] will be a big help in determining the legal status of your target, until then you can look after GalCop ships and use them as detectors of bad guys.

You should check the government of the current and nearby systems also: if all safe then can be boring to wait for a good target, if all bad then your survival odds are low. The best place for this tactics imho a safe and above average techlevel system where there are Viper Interceptor patrols on the main lane (normal Vipers are much weaker than Interceptors), surrounded with bad systems which provide enough arriving pirates.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Venator Dha wrote:
The first jobs are to build your reputation, then better paying jobs will be offered
The same applies to taking passenger contracts.. if you wish/need to track your reputation, you could try the Display Reputation OXP.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied