What game are you playing?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Re: What game are you playing?

Post by Paladin Tux »

I'm also back on Open TTD. I finished most of Naev (if you could finish it) plus I got my hands on the OTTD addons my little brother had been stashing. Just flood a town with buses...
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!
ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

FTL.

Oh god, FTL. Specifically the iOS port on my iPad, because it works brilliantly on a touch screen. I have had it sitting on my Steam account from an old Humble Bundle or similar, but never really got into it. Over Christmas, I wanted something to play. Because I was away, I only had my iThingy to hand... the rest is a blur.

I'm guessing that a lot of people here will know FTL, as you're probably a perfect target audience, but if not...

It's a punishingly hard "Roguelike" where you command a spacecraft fleeing across a hostile galaxy with some stolen data. The game has lots of resource management, vicious combat and lots of unexpected fires. Stacking upgrades is every bit as pathological as in Elite. Time just vanishes. A wonderful game which is occasionally wonderfully unfair, and has enormous replay value. Terrifyingly good.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I keep hearing Scott Manley raving about FTL on his KSP Interstellar Quest series. Guess I'm gonna have to check it out.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

a rogue-like of frustration.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Marte
Competent
Competent

Post by Marte »

spud42 wrote:
a rogue-like of frustration.
Ginsberg's Theorems:

You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't even quit the game.

:)
ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I keep hearing Scott Manley raving about FTL on his KSP Interstellar Quest series. Guess I'm gonna have to check it out.. :lol:
Well, consider yourself warned by some of the other comments in the thread- it's a great game, but won't hesitate to take you down hard :D
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

ancipital wrote:
FTL.
A wonderful game which is occasionally wonderfully unfair
This sounded like a challenge so I tried it. I think the normal difficulty is well adjusted, I finished in my 4. run and I have a feeling that I can win again in this level without problems.

But the "hard" is another story. After 9 retries I still can not arrive into the last sector so this is really hard. My ship is always outdated due to the lack of resources so I think I need a big luck to avoid the killer traps or need much more experience to win.