Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rescuing Pilots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rhakka
Above Average
Above Average

Rescuing Pilots

Post by Rhakka »

I have a few questions about this and comments (v1.65).

First, what influences the insurance payout? I've gotten paid between 125-500crs for rescues. If I have multiples, they are all paid the same at the same time. Is it influenced by the economy of the station I bring them back to?

Also.. much as I enjoy doing this.. it does seem a little strange that I can hunt down a cargo ship, kill it, and make extra money by "resucing" the pilot whose ship I just destroyed, without it affecting my legal status at all.

Furthermore, it seems odd that the insurance company would pay me. Wouldn't they rather have the pilot DIE so they don't have to buy him a new ship?

Fun stuff but curious!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

:D

I agree. Wouldn't the guy you just shot up and 'rescued' be jumping up and down at the station going...

"It was him! Over there! Quick!"

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

True, but then the game would have to determine between people you scoop who were a casualty of an attack not by you or by one from you. Also, there is a chance that the pilot may be in stasis for the trip or just unconcious...
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Rhakka
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Rhakka »

and, furthermore I suppose if every rescued pilot ratted you out to the cops when you brought him back to a station, there wouldn't be many rescued pilots, so maybe that's just space etiquette for you..
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

I remember the sense of satisfaction I experienced when playing Elite TNK, of scooping the escape pods of the Galcop I had just blown out of the sky, then selling them as slaves. What happened to good old slavery, then? Did I miss a meeting?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Happened during my story being written... I had to add an extra bit of dialogue to cope!

v1.65 I think.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

I remember the sense of satisfaction I experienced when playing Elite TNK, of scooping the escape pods of the Galcop I had just blown out of the sky, then selling them as slaves. What happened to good old slavery, then? Did I miss a meeting?
I noticed about 25% of the time the people you pick up become slaves
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

drew wrote:
I agree. Wouldn't the guy you just shot up and 'rescued' be jumping up and down at the station going...

"It was him! Over there! Quick!"
It would be terrible if something were to happen to that brand new ship you just got, yes? I'm glad we have this understanding.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Rescuing Pilots

Post by Odo987 »

Rhakka wrote:
Furthermore, it seems odd that the insurance company would pay me. Wouldn't they rather have the pilot DIE so they don't have to buy him a new ship?
Good point. But it is in the pilot's best interest to get rescued, so he probably chose a policy which included such a reward.

I find it interesting that rescued pilots may end up at a Rock Hermit rather than a station. That must be annoying. "Yes, your policy is good for a new Python, but all we've got is an old ore transporter. No, there's no passenger service from here to ... anywhere."
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

I once hit the escape capsule and ended up in a rock hermit. It was annoying as I did it to test my countdown sound for a galactic hyperdrive and all I wanted to do was eject to get to the TL 14 station quicker and ended up in a damn rock hermit.