Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by spara »

StathisR wrote:
spara wrote:
So I made an oxp that like_ships all suppressed ships (and player ships too) to Griff ships. Problem solved :D . Note that this requires you to install practically everything from Griff's Core Shipset for 1.80 folder from his box. Download: https://app.box.com/s/w2gj2djzdoz56e4criv3 (~1KB)

[
This replaces the suppressor OXP?
No. Suppressor rewrites the roles so that the core ships will not be called via roles, effectively stopping them appearing in standard roles. In addition it modifies shipyard so that you will not see core ships in sale. But any oxp using like_ship will get the original ship instead of Griff's new one. The simple oxp I wrote changes the suppressed core ships to be Griff's brand new ships.

This makes it possible to have a few different combinations to each liking.

1. Just the new Griff ships gives you an addition shipset. You can for example override the core ships with Neolites (remember to use cim's compatibility oxp here) and have Griff's ships in addition. In theory at least, in some of the new ships there seems to be a suppressor file left in that you'll want to remove. Tharglet for example has a shipdata-overrides.
2. Griff's new ships and the suppressor oxp gives you a replacement shipset that leaves the core ships untouched for maximal oxp compatibility.
3. Griff's new ships, the suppressor and my little oxp gives you a replacement shipset that updates the core ships too so that any oxp using like_ship will get a new Griff ship. I'm not aware of any oxp at the moment that will break with this, but there might be some in the future.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for sorting that OXP out spara :D
Yes I am planning to redo the asteroids, been having a bit of bother with it trying to 'bake' out a normal map from a high polygon model onto a low polygon one without getting loads of horrible normal map seams everywhere, had to take a while to read up on fixes for the errors I've been getting - I think I might have it sorted now, here's a test oxp I've been working on - it'll spawn 5 of the new asteroids around the station when the player launches so it's just for testing not playing the game with :D

download link: https://app.box.com/s/ww726ec7knkcoamomzqh
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Looking good Griff :D .

Now that I have fiddled around with the new ships and the asteroids that Cody shared I've started to wonder, if the suppressor kind of thing is really needed at all. I understand it with 1.77, when there were no ship templates, but the current Oolite should take care that there are the core definitions available if needed. Ships should like_ship the templates rather than the actual ships. So instead of a suppressor an overrider would be nice.

The asteroids from Cody's link especially did not work the way I expected. The reason is that I have Asteroids oxp and ZygoUgos asteroids oxp that break into boulders and splinters as they should, but because of the suppressor they spilled core rocks instead of Griff's normalmapped beauty.

Nothing that I can't fix myself naturally, but you have set the graphical standard so high that there will be disappointed users when they see non-normalmapped core objects after installing your normalmapped ships.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Very nice 'roid, Griff.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Those test asteroids are spawning metal fragments, scooped as alloys - unintended, I presume?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:lol: ha, maybe that's where all the alloys went, into the asteroids! Hmm, not sure why they've spawning alloys, at the moment the oxp isn't much more than a test to see if the bumps in the normal map are all pointing in or out correctly on all sides of the 'roid without there being any horrible seams or bits where the light direction looks inverted. This test rock has 3000 polygons in it, a bit high! Might have to work on getting that lower without mucking up the smoothness
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've uploaded an Asteroids & boulder oxp to the 1.80 compatible OXPs folder over at my box site (Griff_Asteroids2014.zip)
edit: :oops: looks like I've made a typo on the oxp folder name, it's missing it's . before oxp in the file name, it needs renaming to Griff_Asteroids2014.oxp or it won't work
edit2: fixed and re-uploaded

I think i've probably made too many (the oxp is 65MB!) - about 15 asteroids, 12 boulders and 7 splinters, so I might thin these out a bit and pick the ones that don't look quite so much pebbles :lol:

Some of the asteroids have a 3000 polycount, not sure if that's going to cause frame rate problems so there's a separate zip file in the folder (griff_Asteroids2014 - reduced Polycount asteroids.zip) that has versions that have been put through a polygon reduction plug-in to get the count down to about 600 polygons, there may be some normal map weirdness on these though, I've checked them in game and they sort of look OK, drop these low poly models into the main OXP 'Models' folder and overwrite the ones in there

download link: https://app.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9, -> then open the 'Core Shipset for Oolite v1.80' folder -> griff_Asteroids2014.zip

This OXP also suppresses the spawning of the default Asteroid, boulder and Splinter models in game, if you don't want this - remove the shipdata-overrides.plist file from the 'Config' folder in the OXP
Last edited by Griff on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oooh... shiny!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, after playtesting this oxp a bit more, I think there's something wrong with the 'splinters', they don't seem bumpy enough, and it might be because of the vertex shader the oxp is using, there's an alternative vertex shader already bundled in the oxp it just needs specifying in the shipdata.plist, so
if you've already downloaded the oxp and don't want to re-download it all again for the sake of an updated 30Kb file, I've put the new shipdata.plist here...

https://app.box.com/s/exowreltm8cq7ybw7ufu

....drop that into the asteroids2014 oxp config folder and overwrite the one in there, then start Oolite withteh shift key held down until the spinning cobraIII title screen comes up
I've also re-uploaded the oxp with this fix and the typo fix in the folder name too
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
I think i've probably made too many
Rubbish.. there needs to be more variety.. having the same shapes/looks appear again and again is boring! :lol:
Cody wrote:
Oooh... shiny!
And gorgeous.. I'm loving them! Very nice work, Griff!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Griff wrote:
I think i've probably made too many
Rubbish.. there needs to be more variety.. having the same shapes/looks appear again and again is boring! :lol:
Seconded.

Any chance of a "hidey-hole asteroid", one with caves that you (or pirates) can hide in? Poly count would be high and it may or may not be scientifically plausible, but it would be fun and it's certainly a staple trope of science fiction...
Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
Oooh... shiny!
And gorgeous.. I'm loving them! Very nice work, Griff!
Again, seconded.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Griff wrote:
Some of the asteroids have a 3000 polycount, not sure if that's going to cause frame rate problems so there's a separate zip file in the folder (griff_Asteroids2014 - reduced Polycount asteroids.zip) that has versions that have been put through a polygon reduction plug-in to get the count down to about 600 polygons, there may be some normal map weirdness on these though, I've checked them in game and they sort of look OK
They do look great :D
Whilst the high polycount ones didn't really drop my frame rate much, they made the controls very slow :(
So I have had to use the low polycount ones which I think are fine, I only notice some oddities when real close up in my miner so not a problem for long - The splinters look great as they cool down :D
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Griff Rocks!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Smivs wrote:
Griff Rocks!
So true :D