Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Tichy »

Thank you :)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Griff,
I've downloaded the latest versions of Moray, Thargoid and Tharglet, but I'm getting these errors in the log:

Code: Select all

11:53:49.120 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_morayMED_npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 2:148: '=' :  cannot convert from '4X4 (default)row_major matrix of float' to 'float'
11:53:49.121 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_with_EnvMap.vertex/griff_morayMED_npc.fragment.
11:53:49.191 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
  11:56:30.059 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_thargoid.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 2:119: '=' :  cannot convert from '4X4 (default)row_major matrix of float' to 'float'
ERROR: 2:154: 'irid' : undeclared identifier 
ERROR: 2:155: 'y' : vector field selection out of range 
ERROR: 2:156: 'z' : vector field selection out of range 
11:56:30.059 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_thargoid.vertex/griff_thargoid.fragment.
11:56:30.113 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
  11:56:30.123 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_tharglet.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 2:117: '=' :  cannot convert from '4X4 (default)row_major matrix of float' to 'float'
ERROR: 2:151: 'irid' : undeclared identifier 
ERROR: 2:152: 'y' : vector field selection out of range 
ERROR: 2:153: 'z' : vector field selection out of range 
11:56:30.123 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_thargoid.vertex/griff_tharglet.fragment.
11:56:30.175 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
Is this something I've done wrong? Have I missed a download somewhere?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oh heck, sorry about that :oops: - the error is from me having misunderstood how to multiply a single floating point number by a matrix that was expecting there to be four floating point numbers passing through it - i thought i'd been through all my OXPs and fixed this a week or so ago but it looks like these ones slipped through the net, thanks for flagging them up :D
I've fixed the shaders and re-uploaded the oxp's to the "Core shipset for Oolite v1.80 folder" over at box.com - fixed versions numbers are

Griff_Thargoid_v1.04.1
Griff_Moray_v1.04.4
Griff_Tharglet_v1.04.1
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

That fixed the black Morays I was getting in F3 screen.

However, I've got more to report: Boa Class Cruiser, Cobra MK I, Gecko and Sidewinder are all coming up black in my F3 screen. More of the same? I believe these are all the newest versions from your box: Boa Mk 2 1.04.1, Cobra Mk 1 1.04.1, Gecko 1.04.1, Sidewinder 1.04.1.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I think those might be the versions released just before this recent fix for the broken 'contrast' function, the latest versions of those ships is

Griff_Boa_Mk2_v1.04.2.zip
Griff_Cobra_Mk1_v1.04.2.zip
Griff_Gecko_v1.04.2.zip
Griff_Sidewinder_v1.04.2.zip
the only change being an edit to the fragment shader to fix the error I made in the 'contrast' function in the fragment shaders
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff - when I extract the Griff_Gecko_v1.04.2.zip, the OXP inside is Griff_Gecko_v1.04.1.oxp <scratches head>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I think that must have been me forgetting to update the name on the oxp folder, I've just checked what's up on box - it's got the fix for the contrast function in so you don't need to re-download that one Cody :)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Would it be possible to release an upgrade pack to the core ships just giving the default models the old custom shaders and stuff? Bringing the default models to the level of the old replacement pack.

Reason: When like-shipping the core ships the current suppressor solution won't give the current primary shipset. I understand that suppressing is for compatibility, so that oxps can safely like_ship the custom ships and get the model they are expecting. That's fine and that's how it should be.

If this sounds like a sensible idea, I can do the monkey work and convert the old replacement pack to do this.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Finally got the setup to my liking. Maybe now I can go back to actually playing the game :D .

I installed Griff's core ships for 1.80 and a couple things bothered me so much that I just had to do something.

Firstly, it's not a replacement shipset as such, it just suppresses the core ships. This means that every time an oxp like_ships a core ship, it get's a core ship, not the ultra cool looking new Griff custom shadered beauty. So I made an oxp that like_ships all suppressed ships (and player ships too) to Griff ships. Problem solved :D . Note that this requires you to install practically everything from Griff's Core Shipset for 1.80 folder from his box. Download: https://app.box.com/s/w2gj2djzdoz56e4criv3 (~1KB)

Secondly, the asteroids are not done yet and as a full time miner I want to see more different kinds of rocks. There's a lot of rocks in the old replacement oxp, but it's not really a good idea to install that. It will mess with your just installed Core Shipset for 1.80 in more that one way. So I have simply ripped Griff's rocks out of it and renamed the files that would conflict. Namely Griff's vertex-shader seems to have changed, although it's still named griff_normalmap_ships.vertex. See a couple of posts ahead.

These are 100% unofficial oxps that are meant for your refreshment only and will not be available from the expansion manager. At least not by me anyway. My game definitely looks better with these.
Last edited by spara on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
... the asteroids are not done yet and as a full time miner I want to see more different kinds of rocks. There's a lot of rocks in the old replacement oxp, but it's not really a good idea to install that. It will mess with your just installed Core Shipset for 1.80 in more that one way.
I have Griff's standalone Asteroids OXP working fine alongside his 1.80 OXPs.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
spara wrote:
... the asteroids are not done yet and as a full time miner I want to see more different kinds of rocks. There's a lot of rocks in the old replacement oxp, but it's not really a good idea to install that. It will mess with your just installed Core Shipset for 1.80 in more that one way.
I have Griff's standalone Asteroids OXP working fine alongside his 1.80 OXPs.
I must be blind. Where would that be available, I don't see it in Griff's box?
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
<grins> They're in the secret stash [snip] take your pick!
Last edited by Cody on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
spara wrote:
<grins> They're in the secret stash, either this one or this one (the latter is smaller and newer) - take your pick!
Oh my, wish I had known they existed _before_ I ripped the old all-in-one open. Thank you, much appreciated. Maybe put a link somewhere public, like wiki :wink: ?
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
Thank you, much appreciated. Maybe put a link somewhere public, like wiki?
That'd be up to Griff, and I think he might be working on an updated version anyway - Griff?
StathisR
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by StathisR »

spara wrote:
So I made an oxp that like_ships all suppressed ships (and player ships too) to Griff ships. Problem solved :D . Note that this requires you to install practically everything from Griff's Core Shipset for 1.80 folder from his box. Download: https://app.box.com/s/w2gj2djzdoz56e4criv3 (~1KB)

[
This replaces the suppressor OXP?