Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[UPDATED RELEASE] CompactHUDv1.3 OXZ now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATED RELEASE] CompactHUDv1.3 OXZ now available

Post by Diziet Sma »

Following a not-quite-request, on the Pandora Forums, I decided to make an updated OXZ version of Aegidean's [EliteWiki] CompactHUD, taking advantage of the new 1.80 features.

It has a pair of the small-style MFDs, as well as both non-linear scanner and ultra-zoom modes enabled by default.

Available at the Wiki, or using the Expansion Manager.

Edit: The
  • Witchspace Destination
  • Joystick Precision Mode indicator
  • Fuel Scoop status
  • Waypoint display
  • Primed equipment
  • Compass beacon/waypoint id
  • Cloak_indicator_on_status_light
are now all functional as well.

The OXZ has been updated to version 1.3.

CompactHUD is compatible with Norby's HUD Selector OXZ. This means that if you use the HUD Selector (which is optional), there is no need to uninstall any other HUDs before using CompactHUD. You can simply select it from the list of available HUDs.

(incidentally, this now makes 200 OXZs available for download) :D
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] CompactHUD OXZ now available

Post by spara »

I used this one for quite awhile in the past, I like simplicity. Very nice of you, Dizzy, to make an oxz of it 8) .

Couple of things though, since HUDs have changed a bit since this was originally done. I suggest you adapt at least these from the default HUD:

* Waypoint display
* primed equipment
* compass beacon/waypoint id
* cloak_indicator_on_status_light (this might be on by default)

And maybe

* witchspace destination label (not on by default)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very good suggestions.. I'll see what I can do.

I haven't played with waypoints myself yet.. so far as I know, the current NumericHUD doesn't support them.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Very good suggestions.. I'll see what I can do.

I haven't played with waypoints myself yet.. so far as I know, the current NumericHUD doesn't support them.
They are marked as recommended in the [wiki]OXP standards[/wiki], so they ought to be added to the NumericHUD too.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Looks like CombatHUD should have these as well. Thanks for the link to the OXP Standards page spara, as I hadn't seen this page before. Also worth mentioning there doesn't seem to be any mention of these in the HUD.plist page :( which was my source of reference and inspiration when updating CombatHUD.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, that was rather less painful than I expected, with the exception of drawWitchspaceDestination, which I just cannot seem to get working, so I've left it commented out for the time being.. no biggie, IMO, since the default HUDs don't implement it either.

Ok.. the
  • Waypoint display
  • Primed equipment
  • Compass beacon/waypoint id
  • Cloak_indicator_on_status_light
are now all functional.

OXZ has been updated to version 1.1.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
Also worth mentioning there doesn't seem to be any mention of these in the HUD.plist page :( which was my source of reference and inspiration when updating CombatHUD.
They're in the "selector" section, second paragraph.
Wiki wrote:
1.79 also adds: drawWaypoints:, drawPrimedEquipment:, drawASCTarget:, drawWitchspaceDestination:
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

What does drawWaypoints actually do and how does one use it? I keep seeing references to it but I can't find a solid explanation of exactly what it is or how it works.

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

drawWaypoints, as a HUD selector, just ensures that waypoints actually get drawn by the HUD. It doesn't do anything particularly interesting, it just needs to be there.

All the interesting stuff is in system.setWaypoint which lets you add a waypoint to a particular location in space (or move or remove a waypoint previously added)

Here's a picture of one up-close
If you're too far away to easily see it, you can see in the middle of the waypoint there's a blue square that looks a bit like a mining laser sight: that's also displayed on the HUD for distant waypoints to make them easier to locate.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Also worth mentioning there doesn't seem to be any mention of these in the HUD.plist page :( which was my source of reference and inspiration when updating CombatHUD.
They're in the "selector" section, second paragraph.
Wiki wrote:
1.79 also adds: drawWaypoints:, drawPrimedEquipment:, drawASCTarget:, drawWitchspaceDestination:
<Puts his glasses on>
Oh yes :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Apologies for the slight derailment, but I'm re-jigging Combat HUD to incorporate these new features and I have a slight problem. I would like to left-align the "drawASCTarget" selector, but it is apparently right-aligned by default. Is there any way I can left-align it please?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It defaults to left-aligned. If you copied the entry from the standard HUD, you'll need to take out the align = 1; line.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ah, this is because I'm trying to move it to the left side I think. Long legends extend further left than short ones and I want it the other way round. Is there a way round this?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Maybe post up what you've currently specified for that component in your hud.plist, since I'm not sure what could be going wrong? Over here, taking out the "align=1" (or explicitly saying "align=0", if you prefer) aligns it so that the left edge of the text is fixed and the rest of it is placed accordingly.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You've got to laugh, haven't you? I tried "align=0" earlier, but it moved the whole thing to the centre which is not what I wanted so I gave up on that - I didn't actually check how it behaved there though :roll:
As you say it is left-aligning nicely, so basically I just need to re-locate it from the centre and I should be OK.
As always, many thanks.