Delightful Docking OXP/OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Delightful Docking OXP

Post by Smivs »

V1.1 now available.

Delightful Docking v1.1 OXZ is now available. This new version does not affect the rotation of the stations.

Following the discussions here I initially decided to leave the OXZ as it was, but after some consideration I have decided to re-issue the OXZ. This is because the manifest.plist and readme both referred to the slower station rotation which was a feature of v1.0 when used with earlier versions of Oolite. In fact this was not the case when used with Oolite v1.80 as the default rotation is already slower than in previous versions, and Delightful Docking v1.0 was actually speeding the rotation up a little.
As the new slower rotation in the core game is already very good, altering it seemed pointless so this element has now been removed from the OXZ.
Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience this may have caused. Updating to v1.1 is not essential as v1.0 works perfectly well but is recommended nonetheless if you want to keep up to date.

Edited to add:- You should remove v1.0 before installing v1.1. See posts below for details.
Last edited by Smivs on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Delightful Docking OXP

Post by Neelix »

Smivs wrote:
V1.1 now available.

Delightful Docking v1.1 OXZ is now available. This new version does not affect the rotation of the stations.

Following the discussions here I initially decided to leave the OXZ as it was, but after some consideration I have decided to re-issue the OXZ. This is because the manifest.plist and readme both referred to the slower station rotation which was a feature of v1.0 when used with earlier versions of Oolite. In fact this was not the case when used with Oolite v1.80 as the default rotation is already slower than in previous versions, and Delightful Docking v1.0 was actually speeding the rotation up a little.
As the new slower rotation in the core game is already very good, altering it seemed pointless so this element has now been removed from the OXZ.
Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience this may have caused. Updating to v1.1 is not essential as v1.0 works perfectly well but is recommended nonetheless if you want to keep up to date.
The filename seems to have changed from "oolite.oxp.smivs.delightfulDocking.oxz" to "oolite.oxp.smivs.Delightful Docking.oxz"
I went to upgrade it via the Extensions manager but it claimed it wasn't installed. So I installed it, but then there were two copies in ManagedAddons. On the Remove Expansion pack screen both versions were listed, with the old version in blue, status: installed but no longer available for download.

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Delightful Docking OXP/OXZ

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes. That lower-case 'd' has been annoying me since I did this, so I took the oportunity to fix it. There are a few others dotted around my portfolio and they will be fixed when things get updated. TBH my naming system has been a bit chaotic up till now, so I am aiming for a consistant system in the long run.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
they will be fixed when things get updated.
I would strongly recommend never changing the identifier of a released OXP unless you're creating a fork of someone else's OXP [1], or have made such significant changes that you don't want it to be highlighted for automatic upgrade because it's basically an existing OXP.

If in either case you do change the identifier, the new OXP should explicitly conflict with the old identifier, so Oolite won't try to load both at once. (It's also your responsibility to prominently publicise the identifier change to the OXPing community, so that anyone else whose OXP depends, optionals, or conflicts with your OXP under the old identifier can copy that for the new identifier, and release their own updates)

The identifier is basically never user-visible except through debugging tools such as Latest.log - all it needs to be is a unique string. Consistency of naming between OXPs is nowhere near as important as consistency of naming between versions of the same OXP.

I'll update the [wiki]manifest.plist[/wiki] docs to make it clearer what the consequences of changing the identifier are.

[1] Adopting someone else's OXP by mutual consent should preserve the original identifier. Adopting OXPs after the original author disappears can probably also preserve the original identifier in many cases, though that's more debatable.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
Smivs wrote:
they will be fixed when things get updated.
I would strongly recommend never changing the identifier of a released OXP ....
Ah, OK. Sorry. I'd better leave this one to avoid further confusion, but I'll keep the rest as they are.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Something which is probably worth doing: update the current manifest in the OXZ manager (ideally in the OXZ itself too for the next release) to add a conflict entry with the old identifier. That should at least stop people installing them both at once.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
Something which is probably worth doing: update the current manifest in the OXZ manager (ideally in the OXZ itself too for the next release) to add a conflict entry with the old identifier. That should at least stop people installing them both at once.
Now that's a very good idea. Done.
fluxxx
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fluxxx »

I got DD through manage addons: so it is in that folder along with the other managed ones. DD doesn't show up on game, but the others do. Please advise. Thanks.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

DD only really does two things. It contains an orchestral version of the 'Docking Music' (The Blue Danube) which plays when using the Docking Computer. Also it aligns your ship with the station if you are placed in a queue and have to wait while auto-docking.
Just checking...you do have a Docking Computer?
fluxxx
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fluxxx »

:!: Doh! Thanks for that,Commander Smivs. :)