Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smivs' OXPs and Oolite v1.80/1.82

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Smivs' OXPs and Oolite v1.80

Post by Smivs »

Nice to see the OXZs flying off the shelf. I've just hit my first 'ton' - 100 downloads of Delightful Docking :)
Coming up strongly in second place is ExtraFuelTanks (90) and pleasing to see Aliens in third with 76.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've been meaning to ask.. now that Stations rotate slower in 1.80 anyway, how does that aspect compare with Delightful Docking?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Er, do they? Um, I don't know. I expect if the rotation in DD is different to core, the OXZ rotations are applied.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Er, do they? Um, I don't know. I expect if the rotation in DD is different to core, the OXZ rotations are applied.
Yup. See: Announcing Oolite v1.80
another_commander wrote:
Gameplay:
=========
* Station rotation slowed down
I've even seen (mild) complaints about how some players are having trouble getting used to the slower rotation! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<Returns from some poking around.>
Hmmm. The stations now rotate at 0.08 according to shipdata, which is slower than DD :oops: They have different rotations in DD, the Coriolis is set to 0.18, the dodo at 0.16 and the ico at 0.15. It seems I may have been guilty of some inadvertant mis-selling. :P
The funny thing is I just disabled DD and launched and the rotation looked exactly the same with or without the OXZ. Is something funny going on or are are the differences so small they don't actually notice?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I have my Griff stations' rotations set to 0.10, 0.08, and 0.06 - and the Torus set to 0.04 (I think).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

After more poking around, I see that the new stations are templates and are now called that eg

Code: Select all

"oolite_template_coriolis-station"
so in fact DD which uses the old names eg

"coriolis-station"
isn't affecting the rotation at all.
Apologies for the confusion, I'll have a think as to what to do - one option is to just forget rotation altogether.

Edited to add:- Wiki page now edited to correct mis-information.
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
After more poking around, I see that the new stations are templates and are now called that eg

"oolite_template_coriolis-station"
so in fact DD which uses the old names eg

"coriolis-station"
isn't affecting the rotation at all.
Apologies for the confusion, I'll have a think as to what to do - one option is to just forget rotation altogether.
Note that Oolite never directly adds the ship oolite_template_coriolis-station to the game - in fact, you can't do that, as it's marked as "is_template", so by the time the game has finished starting up the shipdata key no longer exists. Further down the shipdata file is

"coriolis-station" =
{
	like_ship = "oolite_template_coriolis-station";
};
which is not a template and is used to add the stations to the game. I'll download DD now and take a look at what's going on.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
I'll have a think as to what to do - one option is to just forget rotation altogether.
Another might be to make various settings adjustable via OXPConfig.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
I'll download DD now and take a look at what's going on.
Thanks. It looks from your post that it should be working then, but speeding them up! It'll be good to get to the bottom of this.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Okay, DD works for me to modify the roll - both in terms of what's returned by the game

> S.mainStation.roll //with DD installed
> S.mainStation.roll // without DD installed
and in being able to tell the difference visually - much faster with DD installed.

(Note that the values reported by JS are in radians per second, but the values in station_roll are - unlike every other turn rate in the game... - in right angles per second, so they don't match)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
the values in station_roll are ... in right angles per second,
:shock: So where on earth did that come from? I don't recall ever seeing right angles per second used as a unit of measure.. anywhere.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OK, many thanks.
So it is working and is speeding them up. Not quite what I had in mind - Ho hum....
<Starts work on v1.1>

Edited to add:-
Ha, I've gone for the easy option - leave things as they are. The DD rotations are fine in game and are still slower than the default used to be, so I'm happy to leave them as they are, albeit a little faster than the new default stations.
the wiki wrote:
Rotation - Earlier versions of Delightful Docking slowed the default stations, but the stations now have a much lower rotation as standard. Delightful Docking gives a different rate of rotation to each of the station types, and these are slightly higher than the default station rotation.
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I may have to uninstall DD (only briefly, I like the music) to see what I've been missing!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

With Delightful Docking now sorted out and the new CombatHUD variants released, I think (hope) that all the current OXZs are now fully up to date. My next task then is to get my head round the new populator mechanism and try to update Giant Space Pizza, then it will be time to start thinking about the shipset, and get back to work on the much-delayed Gorgon Cruiser. Never a dull moment...