Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

Thanks for testing that shader Diz, i'll get them all updated this week, shouldn't taake too long, just a bit of copy and paste and some tweaking and the new bit of code is better than the old one so it's a good thing that the bug showed up really.

@Zireael
In v.180 A_C added a new shipdata.plist key exhaust_emissive_color that lets you specify a new colour for the exhaust plume, then with this new shader in my OXP you can add matching colours for the shader to use when adding engine glows to the ship - the CoreCol is the very middle of the engine glow and the PlumeCol is the 'bounce light' that makes it look like the plume is lighting up some parts of the ship

Code: Select all

ExhaustCoreCol = {type = vector; value = "0.6235 0.6241 0.6241";};
ExhaustPlumeCol = {type = vector; value = "0.1961 0.6720 1.0";};
@Cody
- Yeah i'll definately get those interceptor plumes recoloured orange/green is not a good look - maybe i'll keep the police with the standard cyan plumes and move the interceptor ones a bit closer to white so they look more 'powerful' than standard engines - maybe have a bit of purple in there too but not as strong as injector purple
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cody wrote:
I'm liking the new rainbow drives on your ships, Griff - but I ain't too sure it works so well on the Viper Interceptors.
It's the GalCop rainbow parade :D
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Whitish/purple for interceptors and cyan for Vipers sounds good.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods at maik - chortles> All it needs is the rainbow spacedust.

@Griff: yeah, that sounds cool.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Griff wrote:
I guess I should think about making OXZ's of these, i'll have a look through the guide that was posted up a while back - would there be any need for a bundle OXZ or should we get rid of that now - it's a hassle to keep updated as it's such a massive upload
I would actually prefer that there is only one (bundle or individual) set of files for your ships. And given all the updates you are doing having them as single downloads is my preference, especially if they are released as OXZ's.
If you do get rid of the bundle, a list of what is recent and current would be nice. You have quite a few alternates for some OXP's (Cargo canisters, ships, multi decal, asteroids, half/full textures, test OXP's, etc.) and it can be quite difficult to figure out which are redundant and which are active/updated.

<Starts mental preparation for ripping out the Griff bundles and replacing with singles>
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
<Starts mental preparation for ripping out the Griff bundles and replacing with singles>
Did that the other day - my Griff.oxp now contains thirty-five items. No such meta-folders possible with OXZs, methinks.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cody wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Did that the other day - my Griff.oxp now contains thirty-five items. No such meta-folders possible with OXZs, methinks.
I think I tested that. Possible if you install OXZ's manually I belive? Can't test now, I'm at work.
If you use the download manager it really doesn't matter, but I'm a stickler for control so I hunt down the OXZ files and install most thing manually.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

The game loads oxz-files from oxp-folders, no need to unzip oxz-files. Unless you want to tweak them of course. I have Staer9ShipsetShadedv1.2.oxp and inside that Staer9ShipsetShadedv1.1roles179.oxz. Works just fine.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

spara wrote:
The game loads oxz-files from oxp-folders, no need to unzip oxz-files. Unless you want to tweak them of course. I have Staer9ShipsetShadedv1.2.oxp and inside that Staer9ShipsetShadedv1.1roles179.oxz. Works just fine.
I don't unzip them, but I use nested folders to keep related OXZ's together (which is what I believe Cody does as well).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Gimi wrote:
spara wrote:
I don't unzip them, but I use nested folders to keep related OXZ's together (which is what I believe Cody does as well).
So do I. I must have understood something wrong here. Did you mean that you can't create an oxz out of metafolders? So that there are oxzs inside oxz.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
Did you mean that you can't create an oxz out of metafolders? So that there are oxzs inside oxz.
That is what I was thinking, yes.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Now if they were oxz-files and they were in their own box-folder, one could easily grab them all by downloading the whole folder. Box makes one zip of the folder when you download it. Then you can make a folder called griffs_fabulous_ships.oxp or something and unzip the files from the zip file into that folder.

That would be quite handy.

Btw. Have you considered updating the roles of the non-core ships?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Took some time too and dug into the new ships. I really hope that there will be a new shipset bundle some time as this is a bit confusing at the moment. I'm using mixture of the old core shipset replacement, core ships suppressor and griff's new ships.

A few notes of my set:

* The old shipset is used for better looking ships for other oxps that like_ship core ships. Random Hits and Rescue Stations for example. And there are many, many beautiful rocks there.
* For the moment these new ships are addition ships, so core ships suppressor is used for not showing the core ships and to keep the probabilities even. I want to see those Staer9ships too. Every addition shipset adds to the probabilities of the core ships.
* I'm still pondering which mamba to use :lol: . If I use both, it makes more mambas to appear because of the added probabilities.

So other oxps that like_ship core ships hoping that they get the primary shipset ships will fail with this setup. I wish that there will be a new shipset replace bundle (bundles?) at some point, so that with a simple install the core is changed and the ship probabilities stay at core balance. Rocks, barrels and other floatsome are a different matter, there can be plenty of variation there.

Edit. Nice, a Sidewinder for player...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Oh, and updating to individual downloads breaks Griff Respray!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i could have a look at the respray oxp in a bit to get it working once i've got the shipset shaders fixed, it's such a great companion oxp to my stuff that it would be a shame to loose it