Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

AI Trading Assistant

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: AI Trading Assistant 2.6.2

Post by Duggan »

With the older version(when auto trader was stand alone) , I could edit the values of illegal goods to 0 so that the auto trader ignored transactions involving goods that would affect my legal status. Is the case with version 2.6.2 ?

Thank you in advance . :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Duggan wrote:
With the older version (when auto trader was stand alone), I could edit the values of illegal goods to 0 so that the auto trader ignored transactions involving goods that would affect my legal status. Is [that] the case with version 2.6.2 ?
It sure is. You can find the table of expected prices (the prices at which Autotrade changes from buying to selling) near the top of the autotrade.js file, and I've made two examples of how to manipulate it from another OXP:-
Simple additional modules which modify Trading Assistant are available, and described in a forum post. Currently there are two:-

AI Trading Ethical Trader prevents Autotrade from buying or recommending illegal goods.

AI Trading Moral Relativism prevents trading in illegal goods at main stations, but allows it at other stations.
Download AI Trading Ethical Trader OXP here.

Download AI Trading Moral Relativism OXP here.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Excellent , Thank you, I have bolted on the Ethical Trader OXP :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

AI Trading Assistant 2.7

Post by Wildeblood »

Version 2.7 (March 4th, 2013): scans cargo manifest on first run - no more odd discrepancies if you have cargo aboard when record-keeping starts.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: AI Trading Assistant 2.7

Post by Wildeblood »

AI Trading Tips adds a small assortment of messages with advice for new users, that will be shown when Autotrade has nothing more important to say. This script will be included in the main AI Trading Assistant OXP in a future update, with dynamically created messages reflecting the player's trading history, but for now is a plug-in with only hard-coded messages. I will be grateful to any users who try it out and offer comment regarding the type of messages that might be displayed, etc.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: AI Trading Assistant 2.7

Post by Diziet Sma »

If you're after tips to include, you might take a look at Reese249er's Pilots Art document and see if there's anything useful there.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

AI Trading Assistant 2.8.1

Post by Wildeblood »

Version 2.8 (March 7th, 2013): new, chattier AI.

Version 2.8.1 (March 8th, 2013): increased variety of messages at rock hermits and OXP stations.

And with that it's "finished" - everything that was on my to-do list is now done. Time to take a break from javascript for a while and paint the spare bedroom. :D
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Re: AI Trading Assistant 2.8.1

Post by EvoMayhem »

Not sure if I'm understanding the description of this OXP correctly or not, but is the Autotrade function of this OXP supposed to buy and sell goods all by itself when your computer is left unattended?

I'm asking this, as the Wiki does say, "Twenty-two seconds after you view the commodity market screen Autotrade will begin trading on your behalf, fully automatically. Make a nice cup of tea, sit back and watch as Autotrade takes the effort out of trading." That says to me that it will buy and sell in the station without ever having to leave space dock. Is this true?

If it is true, it ain't working here! Lol! It buys 34t of computers, then just sits and says it's flummoxed and that human trading decisions is required.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris can swim on land.
Chuck Norris doesn't need connection to stay online.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It means that you don't have to decide what to buy or sell in the market screen. Naturally you have to fly between stations to get different prices and to actually make some profit.
EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Post by EvoMayhem »

Ha ha ha.

Given it's all done before the kettle boils, I was getting just a little confused.

Trust me to take it literally!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

[OT]
EvoMayhem wrote:
Clint Eastwood: Because God wants Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

Sorry.. couldn't resist. :wink:
[/OT]
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
EvoMayhem
Poor
Poor

Post by EvoMayhem »

Diziet Sma wrote:
[OT]
EvoMayhem wrote:
Clint Eastwood: Because God wants Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

Sorry.. couldn't resist. :wink:
[/OT]
I thought that was Jack Bauer... Lol!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I need some advice about the best way to convert this to OXZ form for the in-game installer. For a long time there have been two OXPs in this download: the main Trading Assistant OXP and a back-up datalogger OXP that operates silently if the player removes the main one, so their data will be up-to-date if they change their mind and replace it.
Fallback Datalogger:

Sometimes, you might wish to disable or remove AI Trading Assistant OXP temporarily while you experiment, or just for fun, remembering trading the old-fashioned way. Will that mean a gap in your accounts?

No. Included in the download you should find an OXP called "AI Trading Fallback Datalogger". That OXP will normally be inactive and do nothing, however if you remove the AI Trading Assistant OXP the fallback datalogger will automatically take over record-keeping functions. There will be no sign of Trading Assistant within the game, but:-
(1) record-keeping will silently continue and be up-to-date when you replace the AI Trading Assistant OXP, and:
(2) you will not have to re-purchase the equipment in the game.

You can place the AI Trading Fallback Datalogger OXP into your "AddOns" folder right away and forget about it; it will cause no performace loss and is completely inert while the main AI Trading Assistant OXP is present.
How best to translate this concept to the in-game installer?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

You might want to use dependency here. Add a dependency to the Assistant pointing to the Logger. That can be done in the expansion manager interface. In the in-game manager, the Assistant will be coloured differently marking the dependency. See Planetary Compass and it's name packs for example.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
You might want to use dependency here. Add a dependency to the Assistant pointing to the Logger. That can be done in the expansion manager interface. In the in-game manager, the Assistant will be coloured differently marking the dependency.
Yes, I'm aware of that. But there is no real dependency here, and that "solution" is what I would like to avoid. Perhaps the other way, marking the backup logger as dependent on the main OXP would be less off-putting.

And how do you get people to read the instructions if they aren't unzipping downloads and finding the readme files in there? All this automation has drawbacks.