Target Reticle

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Target Reticle

Post by Mad Hollander »

What is the purpose of this feature if I often miss the target when the reticle is red ?
I sometimes can overheat the laser without any hit :shock:
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Target Reticle

Post by cim »

Mad Hollander wrote:
What is the purpose of this feature if I often miss the target when the reticle is red ?
I sometimes can overheat the laser without any hit :shock:
It intentionally has limited effectiveness at long range. At short range (<7km) it simulates the shot and only goes red if it would actually hit. At longer range, it sometimes only checks to see if the shot would pass through a sphere centred on the object with a radius equal to the collision radius of the object, with the low-precision check being much more likely at ranges significantly above 7km.

Since most ships are wedge-shaped, if you're aiming too high or low you may well end up missing when the low-precision check says you hit. If it's any consolation, the targeting systems used by the NPCs have exactly the same false-positive problem.
Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mad Hollander »

cim wrote:
Since most ships are wedge-shaped, if you're aiming too high or low you may well end up missing when the low-precision check says you hit. If it's any consolation, the targeting systems used by the NPCs have exactly the same false-positive problem.
Great !
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Has this feature been removed? I am using the default hud currently and the reticule never changes.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It's not enabled on the default HUD. [wiki]Target_Reticle[/wiki] OXP is probably the easiest way to add it to HUDs which don't normally have it.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
It's not enabled on the default HUD.
I've often wondered about that - could it be enabled as part of one of the core targeting upgrades?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cody wrote:
cim wrote:
I've often wondered about that - could it be enabled as part of one of the core targeting upgrades?
I don't know. I don't want it, and I don't want to be forced to switch it off first.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
Cody wrote:
cim wrote:
I don't know. I don't want it, and I don't want to be forced to switch it off first.
Put it in Game Options, off by default, perhaps?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

cim wrote:
It's not enabled on the default HUD. [wiki]Target_Reticle[/wiki] OXP is probably the easiest way to add it to HUDs which don't normally have it.
I'm having problems with this OXP on oolite 1.80.
The reticle never changes. It used to work with 1.77. Is there any other OXP i could use?
I wouldn't want to change the HUD. I like the default one, but I'd like to have target reticle sensitive if possible.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The OXP seems to work okay here - could you post your Latest.log file, please? (Start Oolite, load save game, quit should give a file with enough information in)
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

cim wrote:
The OXP seems to work okay here - could you post your Latest.log file, please? (Start Oolite, load save game, quit should give a file with enough information in)
Not sure what it was, but I've used another .save file http://pastebin.com/dXxyKxPg and now it seems working, although I don't see it in the equipment list (F5).
There's nothing odd in the log http://pastebin.com/dkGaPCVf either.